LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Hp tuner newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Hp tuner newbie question

Hi, I posted this in a previous thread but i'm also posting in a new thread.
Hello,
I'm totally ignorant to how the HP tuner works as far as its interface with your cars computer. I only have a desktop computer, no laptop. Is there a way i can transfer information from my desktop computer to my car via a hand held programmer of some sort? Or do i just need to get my desktop computer close enough to my car? This has been the biggest issue keeping me from buying the HP tuner. Instead I've been waiting for diablosport to support my 07 Impala SS.
thank you much,
mike
p.s.
please keep your laughter to a minimal.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the pro model. It comes with a little box that connects to the data port underneath your steering wheel. It has some storage memory on it, so you can just run that and then export it from that box to your PC.

HOWEVER, you cannot actually see anything while you are running the car if you do this. This is why the laptop is needed. It also allows you to make changes right there. First time I did a complete scan, it freaked me out, it turned my car off. Car started right back up and no issues, but man it scared the crap out of me.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would really want to purchase a laptop.

With prices as low as $399 for a brand new laptop they are accessible to anyone now.

You can run a long usb extension but it would probably be waay more work than its worth.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

What is would be a good laptop to purchase?

Thanks.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Laptop

I did some checking with diablo sport and one of their sales people told me that it would be "some time" before they have a predator for the 07 MC's IMP's and GXP's. They said that they werent even working on it now but they would be in the future. So it looks like i'm just gonna buy a cheap laptop and go with the HP tuner software.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cheapest newish laptop with win XP would work great. I've got a 1+ year old gateway 1.4ghz celeron w/ 1 gig ram & a 60gb hd for ~$500 new.

As long as it meets our system requirements http://www.hptuners.com/help/introdu...quirements.htm you should be golden