LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

CEL & "Engine power is reduced"

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL & "Engine power is reduced"

So my 06 Monte SS is at the dealer right now, it has been having some issues with starting. I have seen the posts about the battery problems but this seems different. The other night, after driving around all day and then parking for about an hour and a half, she woudnt start. Actually, it turned over and started for about 1-2 seconds, then it would conk out. The DIC read "Engine power is reduced" after it stalled, all i could think is 'No S**T there's no power, it just died'!!! After leaving it alone for 1/2 hour it started, but when it did, it was running pretty rich. Anyway, the CEL has been on since then. Anyone have this prob or even heard of it? I actually have a friend thats a service advisor (at Gillogly if youre wondering BuffaloSS) so i hope to get a straight answer soon.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

New problem to the forum, i believe. I was just reading the manual the other day, looking for something in particular, and came across that possible DIC message. I wondered what it would take to get that one...let us know what happens.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of GXP's doing this but not actually stop running. Keep posting please curious as to whats causing your problem. GL
Old 07-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Just got it back from the dealer. They said there were 2 history codes showing but none that were active. The tech said it was most likely caused by some kind of dirt that stuck to the throttle plate and possibly came loose but he checked it and it was pretty clean. He said he checked everything else in the computer and it appears to be running fine now. Apparently I'm the first one thats had this problem, they're never heard of it before. The last line of my invoice sums it up nicely "Unable to duplicate customers concern" What else is new?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dirt in the throttle plate ? thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard lol. If that much dirt is getting past your filters you have problems
Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could there be a problem with the BCM and ECM not talking to each other? I had an 02 SS that would do the CEL, SVS, STS and low fuel all at the sametime. A new PCM, Battery, Alt and BCM, the problem went away. I really think after the second time to the dealer, they just started to throw parts at it.

Quick Reply: CEL & "Engine power is reduced"