LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

w body differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default w body differences

just double checking to make sure im accurate on this.

the gxp.
wider front tires. bigger brakes, tap shift, stiffer springs, bigger sway bars, heads up display. 7-9 speaker monsoon stereo system.

things im not sure on. the struts/shocks. gxp vs ss cars. HUD. softer spring rates on the ss cars.

im going for the things you don't see. the body is blatently obvious.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Struts/shocks are different as you said. HUD is a GP only item. Also, NAV is only available on GP.

One other item that is unique to the GXP is the front fenders. While the GXP and SS have unique front and rear fascias from their same model counterparts, the front fenders are different on the GXP from their other GP brethen (port hole is obvious, width is not so obvious). This also requires different lower rocker molding.

Chip
Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh I love my GXP!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scarlett
Ahh I love my GXP!
thanks for the contribution.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Teching In

The GXP also has a slightly diffrent Rack and pinion set up it has a Variable-Effort Pwr Rack & Pinion with a 13.2 steering ratio and 2.4 lock to lock steering wheel turns. I have driven all three cars and never realy noticed a diffrence in the steering however when i drove them all i didnt know about this. The diffrence in the steering ratio and lock to lock is also so small i doubt that it realy has any noticable effect.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the contribution.
Sorry you guys covered everything already.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Launching!

I thought the DIC - or at least some parts of it anyway - was GXP only. Meaning, I know we can see g-forces and the SS twins cannot - though they show what cylinder mode the car is in, ours do not.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

SS cars do not have a navigation option....at least hey didn't last time I checked. Along with the front tires being wider, the compound is softer which probably makes them easier to launch. SS cars come with crappy all-season tires.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

One stupid design I hate about the GXP personally is the larger front tires. If you look at any car that is engineered from factory I think GXP is the only car ever to have larger front then rear tires. And when you are doing high speed cornering etc the back end will give out alot quicker since the tires are smaller in the rear. I know the sway bars etc can be upgraded to but it still makes a dramatic difference when the front tires are larger then the rear tires. I am buying after market rims that are 8.5 all the way around so I can get the same tire width in the rear.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by scarlett
One stupid design I hate about the GXP personally is the larger front tires. If you look at any car that is engineered from factory I think GXP is the only car ever to have larger front then rear tires. And when you are doing high speed cornering etc the back end will give out alot quicker since the tires are smaller in the rear. I know the sway bars etc can be upgraded to but it still makes a dramatic difference when the front tires are larger then the rear tires. I am buying after market rims that are 8.5 all the way around so I can get the same tire width in the rear.
That's kind of the point. All FWDs will have so much understeer and this is a way to counter this from happening as much (It will still happen). Also the larger Fronts help in traction off the line. This is the first and ONLY FWD car to do this, but RWDs have been doing this forever.
Tate
Old 08-07-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

That's kind of the point. All FWDs will have so much understeer and this is a way to counter this from happening as much (It will still happen). Also the larger Fronts help in traction off the line. This is the first and ONLY FWD car to do this, but RWDs have been doing this forever.
Tate
What I meant Tate is you getting alot of sway from the rear with the smaller tires when you corner. The bigger tire does help with the launch though.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Why not mount larger tires in the rear, I'm sure 255's would fit. 265's are a maybe with a BFH.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Don't forget the Active handling (and Koni shocks). The Suspension was tuned by John Heinracy, the noted Corvette engineer. The engineers put the larger tires on the front for a reason. If you know more about engineering a better handlig car, go for it. By my seat of the pants, the GXP is head and shoulders above the SS in the handling department, especially at the limit.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

When I take a corner hard I can feel the front end is awesome and stable the rear though you definately get sway thats why I was thinking of putting the larger ones in the read also jus tthe 255/45/18. Any tire shop I talk to says that is a horrible idea for setup blah blah I got chastised every time I told a tire shop what size tires I need for the front of my GXP when I bought my BF Goodrich.

Last edited by scarlett; 08-08-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

I've heard the staggered setup actually improves cornering performance...
Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dr Octane
Don't forget the Active handling (and Koni shocks). The Suspension was tuned by John Heinracy, the noted Corvette engineer. The engineers put the larger tires on the front for a reason. If you know more about engineering a better handlig car, go for it. By my seat of the pants, the GXP is head and shoulders above the SS in the handling department, especially at the limit.
the shocks are bilsteins actually. but the rest of the info is nice