LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

hExx's Review: K&N vs CAI Intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007 | 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scarlett
I took out my k&n sprayed it with that high heat engine paint. Then on the inside I layered this down. http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Reflect-A-Cool_12_x_24_.htm

Then I ran an intake tube down underneath my fog light to the rectangle hole in the drivers side front panel. I am happy as hell I monitored the heat with my HP Tuners and my IAT dropped almost 30 degrees. I also bent the K&N shield to make it fit more snug in the car also.

P.S. DON'T LAYER IT ON THE OUTSIDE! (Keeps the heat in) I learned that mistake already. I had to redo the hole thing and put it on the inside (Keeps the heat out).
You think you can take some pictures of what you did? Sounds interesting.
Old 08-28-2007 | 04:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice write-up. Mods maybe you can sticky this?
Old 08-28-2007 | 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Sorry Taz, you may have misunderstood my question or i didn't get my question across right. I know what makes the K&N great, to an extent, but...

The K&N is not an open cone...it's a closed cone (sealed end). I (remember that I) had an S&B Powerstack filter on my Explorer...and those are open cones...notice the open end:

http://www.sbfilters.com/universal_filters.php

Wouldn't it seem you'd get more air from an Open cone vs. a Closed cone filter?

[HEY CORNY>>>I SEE A RED ONE IN THAT PIC ]
Sorry about that. I did have an S&B Powerstac on my old Thrasher CAI. When I took out the S&B Normal cone and put the powerstack in, I did see alittle change, but not enough to buy another one.
Old 08-28-2007 | 06:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by scarlett
I took out my k&n sprayed it with that high heat engine paint. Then on the inside I layered this down. http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/Reflect-A-Cool_12_x_24_.htm

Then I ran an intake tube down underneath my fog light to the rectangle hole in the drivers side front panel. I am happy as hell I monitored the heat with my HP Tuners and my IAT dropped almost 30 degrees. I also bent the K&N shield to make it fit more snug in the car also.

P.S. DON'T LAYER IT ON THE OUTSIDE! (Keeps the heat in) I learned that mistake already. I had to redo the hole thing and put it on the inside (Keeps the heat out).
sprayed what with the paint - the K&N shield?

and then you put the reflect-a-cool on the inside of the shield, with the shiny reflective side facing the filter?? the reflective side should be facing the heat source... so it should be stuck on the "outside" of the shield facing the engine, no??

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 08-28-2007 | 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS

and then you put the reflect-a-cool on the inside of the shield, with the shiny reflective side facing the filter?? the reflective side should be facing the heat source... so it should be stuck on the "outside" of the shield facing the engine, no??
I'm pretty sure it insulates against heat, so inside the K&N box.
Old 08-29-2007 | 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

- I layered reflect-a-cool on the outside of the K&N Heat shield
- Then I took off the drivers side front tire and weather cover
- I ran a 4 inch (tube) from underneath my fog light where there is a gap to the rectangle hole that is down by the CPU where the K&N is.

Tested it was holding the heat in the enclosure. So I took it off and insulated the inside of the K&N heat shield and I had almost 30 degrees cooler then stock or the intial way I installed the reflect-a-cool.

Last edited by scarlett; 08-29-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2007 | 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe you put this around the K&N heat guard box to reflect more heat away
from the intake tube and filter.
Old 08-29-2007 | 07:59 AM
Launching!

Old 08-29-2007 | 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Bill, i thought the complete opposite...with the air coming in from the top AND sides it'd be more uniform airflow...instead of crashing into eachother from opposite. Ultimately, the MAF screen does straighten out the air for the sensor...so in the end the turbulance could be a non-factor.

Scarlett, that's interesting...it says to put that stuff facing the heat source...so one would assume it goes on the OUTSIDE of the airbox.

Anyway, i was considering purchasing some rigid insulating foam and installing that...but i haven't done it yet b/c i'm broke and overall lazy LOL.
Old 08-29-2007 | 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nighthand
Are you referring to the original post or the current discussion? I agree some pics of the current discussion would be ideal.

Last edited by hexxLS4; 08-29-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2007 | 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Yes I will try to get some pics up today!

Quick Reply: hExx's Review: K&N vs CAI Intake