LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Durability of FWD drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditTA
They are a pretty good transaxle, mine had 110,000 and i'm making about 400 flywheel HP in my supercharged buick. All was good until the TC came apart and took everything with it. If change the fluid on a regular basis, don't drive the crap out of it, you'll get a lot of miles out of it. A built one can handle about 600 -700 hp before they come apart, thats what has limited the fwd cars to 9sec 1/4s. My built one barks gears now
Wow....did you build yours with ZZP/Quaife parts?
Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Normal" driving should preserve the trans for 150+, but if you're going to play, expect to pay. Like Eddie said, Cadillac, Buick and Pontiac have billions of miles of development into these trannies. Yeah, Grandpa may not push the ole' STS / DTS / DTC to the limits, but the S/C'd 3800 guys have.

On the new Camaro, saw it last month. Nice looking cars, but as of this date, I won't trade my MCSS or my '02 Z28SS in for one. Just not as "over the top" as I would have expected.

But I'm happy that they're bringing it back, definitely a car that GM NEEDS to make.

My advice would be to keep the MCSS as your daily driver. The Z is a crapload of fun to drive, but a work out chasing every imperfection in the road, bucking over unseen pavement imperfections, etc. MCSS - smooooooooooooth.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kazmaniac
"Normal" driving should preserve the trans for 150+, but if you're going to play, expect to pay. Like Eddie said, Cadillac, Buick and Pontiac have billions of miles of development into these trannies. Yeah, Grandpa may not push the ole' STS / DTS / DTC to the limits, but the S/C'd 3800 guys have.

On the new Camaro, saw it last month. Nice looking cars, but as of this date, I won't trade my MCSS or my '02 Z28SS in for one. Just not as "over the top" as I would have expected.

But I'm happy that they're bringing it back, definitely a car that GM NEEDS to make.

My advice would be to keep the MCSS as your daily driver. The Z is a crapload of fun to drive, but a work out chasing every imperfection in the road, bucking over unseen pavement imperfections, etc. MCSS - smooooooooooooth.
Would love to have your set-up in your garage now....Z and a MCSS . Comfort during the week, fun on the weekends.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
Would love to have your set-up in your garage now....Z and a MCSS . Comfort during the week, fun on the weekends.
Yah, but I can't use it. I work 7 days a week, mostly 12 hours at a day minimum. Time away from work is filled with phone calls about work, or people ask how work is going.