LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Durability of FWD drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Durability of FWD drivetrain?

I've been driving an Impala SS for a few days, and I must say I'm very impressed with the car. It drives nice, has great power, and gets good fuel economy. I'm thinking about getting an SS or GXP for my wife to drive. I would plan on keeping the car for a long time, so durability would be important. I've got enough experience with the LS1 to know I can trust the engine (although the DOD is new to me). What I'm really concerned about is the drivetrain. Does the 4T65E-HD actually hold up long-term? And what about the driveaxles, etc. Any actual owner experience with durability on these vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a lot of guys with 40-50K plus on them, they seem to have worked out some of the early bugs. From owning FWD V8 cadillacs for years expect to replace the transmission at least once before 150K, probably twice by 200K. . . the motor should easily last that long.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah they are good for about 100,000 miles before they need a rebuild. Seeing as your wife will probably taking it easier...maybe longer. What kills these trannies is HP and tapshift.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the 4T65E-HD is a great Tranny and will hold up very well over time IF IF IF you take care of it.

1. Every 2 years, do a filter and fluid change. I dont care what GM says, this will help protect the Tranny and in return it will thank you

2. This is not a manual/stick. Some people on the board like to drop there car into 1st or 2nd. LEAVE it in Drive and let the computer do the work. Thats what its there for.

Good Luck with that you pick out and always remember, we are here for ya.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Yes, the 4T65E-HD is a great Tranny and will hold up very well over time IF IF IF you take care of it.

1. Every 2 years, do a filter and fluid change. I dont care what GM says, this will help protect the Tranny and in return it will thank you

2. This is not a manual/stick. Some people on the board like to drop there car into 1st or 2nd. LEAVE it in Drive and let the computer do the work. Thats what its there for.

Good Luck with that you pick out and always remember, we are here for ya.
Good advice there...maybe soon the diablo guys can mod the TCM (giggles).

To the OP: TO baby...thats where I live! If you see a white SS running around thats me!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Launching!

off topic, sorry, but nacho you live in T.O.? do you happen to go to moorpark college?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChefChub
off topic, sorry, but nacho you live in T.O.? do you happen to go to moorpark college?
Nope...I sent you a PM.... LS4 owners in Ventura County form up and PM me!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want the trans to last longer no matter how hard you drive it i would recommend getting a shift kit. Shifting harder will save your clutch's. Car makers for so long have tryed to make transmissions shift as smooth as possible selling this as a better transmission but inorder to make a transmission to shift smooth its slipping clutchs slowly. All my cars i've put shift kits into even on my old 89 cutlass oldsmobile and the trans lasted 280,000 miles untill the engine finally gave out. The transmission was on its last leg but it was never replaced.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

I second that! Smooth shifting trans = slipping clutches!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Right, but if you put in the wrong springs in the shift kit and tune your car, you will be in trouble.

Originally Posted by nacho SS
Good advice there...maybe soon the diablo guys can mod the TCM (giggles).
Only if..... Only if............
Old 09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sint3k
If you want the trans to last longer no matter how hard you drive it i would recommend getting a shift kit. Shifting harder will save your clutch's. .
Harder shifting is not good, it is generally a bad thing, breaks hard parts. Most of the benefit of a shift kit is to speed up the shifts so the clutches are not grinding off material as long. Now there is some benefit to slightly harder shifting at WOT, but, again generally, when you put more washers under the springs you get harder shifting at part throttle. It is uncomfortable to the driver and harder on the transmission at anything under full throttle and unnecessary. If you have a choice on the number of washers to add, for example the Trans-go kits for the 4L60E (used as I am most familar with it), use one washer and the supplied springs, more than one will lead to the hard part failures sooner.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would rather have a hard part fail then have to deal with the agony of a slow shifting transmission due to the clutch's wearing out. Also when do you ever see a hard-part fail unless seriously abused or increased horse power. Its the clutch's that end up causing poor transmission function. But in the end i've seen people who drive there cars hard and people who don't and i've seen all sorts of results from all sorts of drivers. I hope my transmission fails right at the end of my warranty so i can go ahead and upgrade it and trust me i'm trying. I'm going to trade it in for the new Challenger if it comes out before the charger and if it has at least 400HP
Old 09-18-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm from the school of thought that somewhat firmer shifts (i.e., faster shifts) are good for longevity. The clutches don't have as much time to wear during a faster shift. Too hard and they're kind of gut-jarring and hard on the drivetrain. I would plan on getting a shift kit (like I did for my 4L60E) and set it up to shift a bit firmer. I've had a lot of cars over the years with auto transmissions and have always put shift kits in them. I've also never had a transmission fail on me! The other thing I've always done is install a trans. cooler.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

YEAH!! so let's get the tranny support DS!!!!!!

I want faster/quicker, firmer shifts so this thing will last until I sell it or trade it in for the new Camaro!!!!!

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 09-18-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

LOL, watch the new Camaro will be out before DS has TCM support and 07/08 support aswell.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
LOL, watch the new Camaro will be out before DS has TCM support and 07/08 support aswell.
LOL I will also drink to that...cept I'm drinking to a G8!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

hell, if that's the case, I don't care either way... once the new Camaro comes out, it's mine... I'll throw in the Predator with the sale of the Monte SS...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL....Lew the predator GURU backs down with the onset of the Camaro!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

then I'll help them make one for the Camaro...

Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They are a pretty good transaxle, mine had 110,000 and i'm making about 400 flywheel HP in my supercharged buick. All was good until the TC came apart and took everything with it. If change the fluid on a regular basis, don't drive the crap out of it, you'll get a lot of miles out of it. A built one can handle about 600 -700 hp before they come apart, thats what has limited the fwd cars to 9sec 1/4s. My built one barks gears now