LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Cartuning GXP/LS4 Turbo Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scarlett
And there is no way in hell 400whp is hitting the ground. If it did our car's would trap easy 115mph and low 12's quarter mile.
Well he did say 385whp. I think he implies that they dynoed the prototype kit and are waiting to dyno the production one. Are you implying that he's lying just because he's not using 3" piping? And how do you know he won't trap 115mph?. You act like he's trapping lower when he hasn't even given numbers yet. =) Low 12's in the 1/4, on the other hand, might be difficult with stock tires.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:50 AM
TECH Resident

There is a thread going on a 2000montecarlo.com about the v6 version of the turbo in case you all are interested in any additional insight about cartuning and their products:
http://2kmc.mymonte.com/discussion/v...ic.php?t=13061
Old 09-20-2007, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

There will be people who doubt all the time, I am used to that after being on Club GP for a few years....only time will tell. I do fully expect tranny issues in my future, that's a given, just like when you turbo a V6, or just mod a V6 GP for that matter, a tranny rebuild is in your future. Can't expect to run with 500hp and keep the tranny stock.

Like I said, I have at least 10000 turboed miles on the car and she's still running strong. I drive 1 hour each way to work 5 days a week in mostly bumper to bumper traffic with this car, she drives just like a normal car.

We will be getting the final numbers from dyno and track very soon I just couldn't wait any longer until I posted more info!!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Do you know the ETA on pics? Or more importantly, a video?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
Lol wanna race?

There's people that can pick apart anything so you can think that the 2.5" downpipe isn't big enough or that the stock mani's suck etc etc etc, but here's the bottom line, the numbers don't lie. over 400whp is not useless for sure and over 400whp means that the kit works.
if i still had my gxp, i would have taken you up on this offer
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well he did say 385whp. I think he implies that they dynoed the prototype kit and are waiting to dyno the production one. Are you implying that he's lying just because he's not using 3" piping? And how do you know he won't trap 115mph?. You act like he's trapping lower when he hasn't even given numbers yet. =) Low 12's in the 1/4, on the other hand, might be difficult with stock tires.
Not being a player hater or doubting crap. Just saying let's be realistic "You have to pay to play". I can almost guarantee there will be alot more headaches in the future running 12PSI on our motor's. And you are in a dream world if you don't think gasket's etc won't start blowing. He lives in Toronto so wait until they get to -40 in late December or in the summer when they get a heat wave. And I believe the power also that it CAN put down. But that number means **** all if you don't get all 385whp usable power (I.E. The car launching from a dig and taking off) to the ground which I can guarantee with FWD drive won't happen. It's iffy alone with bolt on's to add slicks to our car, so picture adding slicks with 140whp more to the wheels (can you say ouch).

Last edited by scarlett; 09-20-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am pretty sure slicks + this setup would snap axles. . .clean off

All though, I am quite interested in the kit, if the turbo was tunable, meaning I could choose between 4,6,8,10 etcetera PSI. .. I think that would be cool. Can't wait for pictures and videos!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Regular

The car is amazing, I personally don't care if it spins from a dig because I never race anyone at street lights and never go to the track except to get some numbers for people here, that will be the only time. Wait till you see the MPH from the track, I think you will be very surprised.

80% of my driving is HWY driving and the rest is in town, I don't drive like a ******* when I am in the city anyways. And even then if some Civic punk or Mustang guy or Porsche guy is next to me when I'm driving on side roads going to work, I only need to use 25% throttle and I whip him then go back to driving normal.

So if I am "racing" someone it's always from a roll since I am always on the HWY and that's fine with me because less **** breaks this way

This is just a bolt on kit, the power that it makes from a weekend install can't be beat. Then when we change the rear manifold (Front manifold is perfect for turbo, it's 300 times better then the front manifold on the V6 and you can make 500whp on stock manifolds in the V6.) the numbers will be much more improved.

P.S. about the axles, how many people here are previous owners of GP's or Impala's or Monte's? There are not many people in the Grand Prix world snapping axles and it will be a lot less on the GXP. Reason? You can't fit slicks on here big enough that will enable it to stick 100% on launch. I didn't think we could run anything smaller then a 17" rim on this car, so you won't be getting much of a 17" slick probably just a drag radial in which case it will still spin. Stick more then stock of course but it won't snap axles.

The input shaft in the tranny will snap before the axles do

Last edited by GXPJAY; 09-20-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scarlett
Not being a player hater or doubting crap. Just saying let's be realistic "You have to pay to play". I can almost guarantee there will be alot more headaches in the future running 12PSI on our motor's. And you are in a dream world if you don't think gasket's etc won't start blowing. He lives in Toronto so wait until they get to -40 in late December or in the summer when they get a heat wave. And I believe the power also that it CAN put down. But that number means **** all if you don't get all 385whp usable power (I.E. The car launching from a dig and taking off) to the ground which I can guarantee with FWD drive won't happen. It's iffy alone with bolt on's to add slicks to our car, so picture adding slicks with 140whp more to the wheels (can you say ouch).
I don't really think we're in disagreement, so I'm not sure why you're replying to my post. All I was saying was that there is no reason to believe that he's NOT getting 385HP to the wheels. How much of that actual power is put into play will depend on traction.......we both said that and agree. lol

What is all this dream world talk? I never said anything about not blowing gaskets or any of that. I just said, there is no reason to not believe he's producing those kind of numbers, regardless of whether he's spinning or not.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Launching!

are you getting any better gas mileage with the turbo installed as compared to it being stock?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

That's a good question, when cruising on the HWY I do see slightly better mileage, it certainly isn't worse which is awesome. On the other hand if you are in boost a lot, the average mileage will certainly not be as good as stock.

there are some weeks that I go through a tank of gas in the same amount of miles or better then I would stock.

I don't really have numbers because I drive in Metric Mode but I can check out what my average MPG is when I head home.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

So Jay, you have a kill list you can share? I'm interested to know how many surprised looks you got when other cars get totally owned by a 4 door grocery getter.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really think we're in disagreement, so I'm not sure why you're replying to my post. All I was saying was that there is no reason to believe that he's NOT getting 385HP to the wheels. How much of that actual power is put into play will depend on traction.......we both said that and agree. lol
Just was using your quote to mention stuff sorry for the confusion!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

np..I knew there was a disconnect somewhere
Old 09-20-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Lots of cars, Mustangs, Civics, there was a really, really surprised G35 coupe guy,well, he must have been surprised I didn't see his face because I was WAY, WAY ahead but ya know.

Haven't had a real challenge yet.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
Lots of cars, Mustangs, Civics, there was a really, really surprised G35 coupe guy,well, he must have been surprised I didn't see his face because I was WAY, WAY ahead but ya know.

Haven't had a real challenge yet.
im sure i can find someone willing to let me tinker on a gxp for a day and come with snorting fire

Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be intrigued to see how a stock (or moderately stock) LS4 does compared to this turbo'd car from a dig.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Pics or !
Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

I'd practically would believe any # you'd spit out as far as HP! A 5.3L with 10 psi would easily make 500HP at the flywheel, especially if it has LS6 heads! I agree, I didn't buy my Impala so I can do 1.5 60', I like to drive like a human being and get on it from a roll! FWD is just not for that, although it can be done, it would just change the car! I got a SB2 Camaro for that! Although I'd go heads/cam/headers/tune/nos before I'd go Turbo, I'm sure that's a hell of a bolt-on upgrade that's probably hard to pass on for the money! Good Luck with the kit! Post some results!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Teching In

CAN I SEE THIS THING?... WHY DOESN'T CARTUNING HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS TURBO ON THEIR WEBSITE? IN FUTURE PRODUCTS?http://www.cartuning.ca/future.php

Quick Reply: Cartuning GXP/LS4 Turbo Update