LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tranny geeks, in here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny geeks, in here!

Ever since I got my intake on, I feel plenty of more power. I feel like I'm lagging a lot between shifts on really hard pulls (no I'm not dropping gears manually). Obviously I don't have my tranny codes changed for firmer shifts being that I'm using a DS tuner.

The lagging is worse with more power (intake) it seems.....but could it be my clutch going? I want to blame TM, but I'm not sure. This only happens on exceptionally powerful pulls. Sometimes, I get a nice little squeek or screechy sound at the top of the gear shift. Almost sounds like a lightly squeeling belt....but it's not long, just a chirp...I only WISHED it was my tires chirping lol! (Damn you DS!!!!)

What are your thoughts?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem with my tranny (and I would bet dollars to donuts it is the belt squeeling on the other), my tranny was starting to shudder/lag at WOT as well with the Diablo DOD tune, The tranny is just not up to added (less removed) torque. Since I am waiting until warranty is over before I crack the trans pan to do a shift kit, I have removed the program, put the 'stock tune' in and just adjusted the fueling.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am back to stock with the DS as well. The power was great but the extra lag with the WOT shifts really bugs me. No noise from the trans, but with stock the shifts seem crisper all the time. I do miss the midrange gains from DS opening up the PE below 4K which is where they got the most gains, but I'll survive until either the shift kit goes in or they have trans support. I'm not as worried about the shift kit causing a trans problem as getting the time to do it. I wantedd to try the trans adjustments first.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, that about sums it up. DSP's programs are garbage without TCM support. Rather go without it than to use it after I paid the $3xx for it. If there is any further question from those who have not bought a Predator on if it is worth it there are at least 2 of us who already laid the money out (making it sunk money and thus essentially free to use the program) and choose not to use it. If we don't use it for 'free', why would anyone still consider paying for it?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

So you guys think it's TM on shift? I do also get the shuddering sometimes. I just want to make sure it's not my clutch going or worse. Any ideas to make the shifts better (not including tunes)?...I've been thinking maybe if I lay off the gas right before the shift that it will help.

Any ideas what the belt sound might be?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
I do also get the shuddering sometimes. I just want to make sure it's not my clutch going or worse.
just read TSB's about this yesterday...

one says this:

TRANSMISSION 1-2 SHIFT SHUDDER AT LIGHT TO MODERATE ACCELERATION. -- REPLACE COMPLETE SECOND CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

and another one says this:

NO DRIVE OR REVERSE;TCC SHUDDER; NOISE WITH TCC APPLIED, -- IF 4T65E AND V8 APPLICATION, REPLACE TORQUE CONVERTER.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-18-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

My problem went away immediately when I ditched the Diablosport program and has been running smooth as silk for the last 5000 miles. It was the program at least in my case.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been running the "Diablo Tune No DOD" for almost a year now, and have no tranny issues like you guys mention... interesting...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lew, I have no shudder, just a slower shift with the DS. Hard to describe. As soon as I went back to stock (restore original backup) all the shifts felt better. Even stock under some conditions would give a slightly slower shift duration but these are rare and not under WOT. With the 93 no/DOD tune I had tried cleaning the MAF, clearing trims and so forth.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, if this offers and contention, I have a shift kit and increased the pressure and upped the shift points via. There is a point where I get on it hard and it lags a little bit in the 1-2 shift (shorter time than stock....but still noticeable). I believe there is some Torque Management applied so that you don't blow through 1st gear (LS4's do have good torque) and the tcm adds that lag in to prevent a 1st gear redline into 2nd.....As for the TSB: My converter feels a bit on the looser side, and it stalls pretty quickly. I hope my car doesn't need a replacement, I just got it back from the dealer....
Old 10-18-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed on mine that the DOD causes a shudder when coming up to a stop sign or turning onto a street below 30 mph. This was with the stock tune. I used the Diablo no DOD tune and the shudder is gone. Used the Diablo DOD tune and the shudder came back. The DOD caused shudder in mine.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

I think its a tranny issue, because DOD would have no effect under 30MPH....^
Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
just read TSB's about this yesterday...

one says this:

TRANSMISSION 1-2 SHIFT SHUDDER AT LIGHT TO MODERATE ACCELERATION. -- REPLACE COMPLETE SECOND CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

and another one says this:

NO DRIVE OR REVERSE;TCC SHUDDER; NOISE WITH TCC APPLIED, -- IF 4T65E AND V8 APPLICATION, REPLACE TORQUE CONVERTER.

Well it definitely only happens at WOT or close to it. Definitely not light and more than moderate. I'm going to try throwing my stock tune back in to see how it behaves. Thanks for the info.

One thing that leads me to believe it's not the clutch is the fact that I can stomp on it from idle (moving with no gas, or from a complete stop) and it does not shudder. ONLY on the 1-2 shift during hard acceleration. I would imagine that if it is the clutch that the issue would happen under any condition where the clutch needs to engage...I am not an auto expert, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hexx, that is exactly how mine behaves with the DP program, took it out and returned to the pleasure of smooth shifts. I actually am convinced it is faster on the track/street with the stock program because the 1-2 shift takes sooooo long without the TM and more than makes up for the difference in engine power.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Today I tried letting off the gas right at 6k rpms (just like you would in a manual) and I was able to do a nice crisp shift. It takes really good timing though. Watch your tachometer and give it a shot for those with a DS. I'm still going to try the stock tune just to make sure my tranny is OK. It'd be hard to give up the extra power permanently.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

If I am going to drive an auto....I ain't lettin' off at 6K! Thats when I start to pull hard, plus there's no clutch that I have to operate, so why let off? The just leaves you at lower power for the next gear.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
If I am going to drive an auto....I ain't lettin' off at 6K! Thats when I start to pull hard, plus there's no clutch that I have to operate, so why let off? The just leaves you at lower power for the next gear.
Nacho, you are HP tuned...so it's not an issue for you. If I stay at WOT, I get super laggy shuddering shifts. Lets bring this conversation here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance/801552-shifting-technique-diablosport-users.html
Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I think its a tranny issue, because DOD would have no effect under 30MPH....^

Not true with mine, DOD stays in 4 cyl. mode until about 15 mph, causing shudder on coast down beginning at about 35 mph. With DOD turned off in diablo, I do not get the shudder at all. Is there a way to program DOD to disengage at a certain mph when no throttle is applied? Such as having it kick out at 35 mph when coasting down to a stop sign or such?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

My DOD is tuned out but....DoD has no effect when the throttle is released, the next time you push the skinny pedal, the ECM is going to revert back to V8 mode because you interrupted the cycle.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got that belt noise at wot on a stock tune as well. It feels like it shifts just fine, but that noise is odd.....