LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Shifting technique for Diablosport users

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting technique for Diablosport users

I know I brought this up in another thread, but I figured this MIGHT merrit a new one in order to get the attention it may deserve. If it doesn't...sorry for reposting the idea.

I figured out a way to get better shifts with a diablosport tune (or no tune for that matter). If you all are in the situation I am, you're getting laggy, sometimes shuddering 1-2 shifts at WOT which result in an extreme loss of power to the wheels, slower times, and just a uneasy feeling of tranny/clutch abuse.

The key to a smooth\quick shift without tuning is that of timing. What do you do when you shift a manual car? You let off the gas and pop the clutch as you get back on the gas right? Well...apply the same principle...sorta.

The trick to it is, you have to watch (or when you get good listen) your tachometer reach max rpms. RIGHT before the computer auto-shifts you into second, get off the gas for a 1/4 to 1/2 second and stomp back on it. If you time it right, the result is a nice clean crisp shift into second. No lag, no shudder, nothing but shift. It's a beautiful thing. I feel that it's very significantly improving my shift speed while saving my clutch from unneeded wear and tear! It's not a replacement for a good tune...but def a good alternative IMO.

I've been practicing it all day and I feel I am beginning to master it. I'll continue playing with the technique and update this thread if I find out anything new. Give it a shot, tell me what you think.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by hexxLS4; 10-19-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have a shift kit installed? I am just wondering if this would improve anything.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Nah I don't. But I'm sure a shift kit would definately improve the laggyness of the shifts which would make this technique less effective.

Last edited by hexxLS4; 10-19-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should only have to do that on a transmission thats on its last leg. Do you not think letting off the gas is loosing power as well ? Its proven that automatic transmissions are faster then a manual trans and you shoudn't have to let off like its a manual. The last time i've had to do that was on a transmission with 250 thousand miles on it.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you give the car enough time to learn the Diablo program and dial in the the LTFT's?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah, I'm sure he has Super... Hexx has been around long enough and knows his stuff, he seems to know what he's doing...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went ahead and ran the DOD and non-DOD Diablo tunes (with the proper miles/tuning between the swap) and the non-DOD shifting seems much quicker at WOT than the DOD program (that one lags like there is no tommorow).
Old 10-21-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Do you not think letting off the gas is loosing power as well ?
Yes you lose power by letting off the gas...but it's only for a split second. I lose more power with the shift laggyness. It takes like 3x longer to get in gear if I let the transmission do it's thing.

Its proven that automatic transmissions are faster then a manual trans and you shoudn't have to let off like its a manual.
Yeah I know...but again, when it's taking forever "slipping" it's way into 2nd gear, using my technique I'm already 1/4 way through my RPM band by the time the gear change happens when NOT using the technique.

Did you give the car enough time to learn the Diablo program and dial in the the LTFT's?
I haven't swapped tunes out since I got the thing in....so my computer has adjusted.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 06 SS
I went ahead and ran the DOD and non-DOD Diablo tunes (with the proper miles/tuning between the swap) and the non-DOD shifting seems much quicker at WOT than the DOD program (that one lags like there is no tommorow).
Odd...I'll have to give that a shot. I still need to try the non-DOD tune as some people claim to be getting better gas mileage with it.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, just ran 225 miles highway with the non-DOD Diablo and I am around 22 MPG, same exact trip at the beginning of the Summer with the DOD program had me at nearly 28 MPG (real MPG, not DIC). It is a big difference.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I can see highway MPG being a lot better with the DOD tune...I believe the guys are claiming better CITY mileage with the NON-DOD tune....which is still kind of odd. Maybe there is something about the constant swapping of 4/8 cylinders that makes things inefficient? That's the only reason I can come up with.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 06 SS
Well, just ran 225 miles highway with the non-DOD Diablo and I am around 22 MPG, same exact trip at the beginning of the Summer with the DOD program had me at nearly 28 MPG (real MPG, not DIC). It is a big difference.
Pretty much the same here. 25-26 non DOD and 31-32mpg with DOD.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Diablo Tune No DOD tune in... I do 60/40 city/highway driving during the week, and all city/in-town driving on weekends, and I get 21mpg...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

They really need the Diablosport for 07's if you can gain a few MPG's. With all around town driving I'm getting 13.5 average at best. Sometimes under 13. During the summer when I added about 250 highway miles everyweekend I'd end up averaging out at about 21.5.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Why not invest in this.
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_p...=570&catid=105

I will swear by these shift kits for the 4T65E-HD. Now with the one listed you can option to get it with 2 gallons of Dexron 6 also and they ship it all straight to your house. I think it took mine all of 3 days to get to San Antonio, TX and that was with ground shipping. Installing a shift kit is nice and easy. Drain your fluid by loosing up one side of the pan and let it fall. Remove tranny pan, pull out valve body (3 screws) open up (maybe 8 screws) and place in the shims and reinstall in reverse order.

This will greatly speed up the shifts and help reduce the wear on your clutches also=longer tranny life.
If you get this only set it on 2 or less out of the 4 levels of firmness. Any harder and people have a tendency to break stock input shafts with good traction on the 1-2 shift. Trust me I know. But I ran the kit for almost 2 years on stock tires with out problem on setting 3, but once the DR's were on it didn't like it.
Tate
Old 10-22-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah it's something to consider. But right now, I want to stick to tuning because I'm not even sure if I'm going to keep the monte pending next years car releases (read G8). I'd like to avoid adding hardware mods to the car for the time being if possible.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Yeah it's something to consider. But right now, I want to stick to tuning because I'm not even sure if I'm going to keep the monte pending next years car releases (read G8). I'd like to avoid adding hardware mods to the car for the time being if possible.
hardware mods that are only a year old are able to be resold
Old 11-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

I have noticed tranny shutter only with traction on and leaving car in D "drive". I always run in 2ND Gear with traction off. Never had any issues.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

I assume you mean you always run in 2nd gear when driving in "spirit"...Otherwise, I'd hate to see your gas bill.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

um ok, "running"=Race. For the slow people

Quick Reply: Shifting technique for Diablosport users