LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Thinking of getting shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting shift kit

My car lags so much between shifts and its annoying. I'm not new to the 4t65e as I drove a '99 Monte Z34 for several years and ended up buying an Intense shift kit for it which really helped. My question is I also want a tune and was wondering if the problem can be corrected or helped from a tune. I know that all they can do is increase the line pressure but since I plan on tunning anyway I wanted your opinions. And FYI I would definetly go with the ZZP kit.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well, right now we can't adjust anything for the tranny with our U7191 Predators... (don't start guys! )

but other info I've read online says to do one or the other, not both... meaning, if you do not have a shift kit, then you can adjust it with a tune. But if you do install a shift kit, don't adjust anything with a tune, or you risk damage.

Again, I have no personal experience with these scenarios and don't know how true it is, it's only info that I have seen/read in other forums online.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-03-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

generally, a shift kit consists of two modifications, different springs (which speed up the shifts) and washers (which will increase how hard it shifts). The transmission will increase line pressure as RPM increases. If you program higher line pressures in the transmission AND have chosen to install the washers it can lead to hard parts breaking.

For myself, I would go with just the springs and forget the washers, that way you get the quick shifts up and down and no hard engagement at part-throttle (as the tranny keeps the pressure low at PT.) With no washers, you will do no more harm/good than without a shift kit if you change the tranny program.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice!! good info 06 SS - thanks man!!!

(saving your info for the future)

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-04-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

Good idea 06 SS. Maybe I will go that route with just the springs and then a tune to adjust the hardness of the shifts. And didn't HP tuners release the software now to tune LS4s? Because I would be tuning at Synergy and they use HP tuners. They haven't done LS4s before but said they can tune it.

Has anyone done the ZZP or Intense kit here? Just wondering because I had an Intense kit in my old Monte and at partial throttle it wouldn't shift too hard, only at WOT which is the main reason I liked it so much.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, they have - there's a sticky at the top for shift kits