LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008 | 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Honestly, if you guys looked at milzymotorsports.com, saw the quality of headers Mike has done and jump on the pre order list, we wouldve had headers almost 2 months ago.
Old 01-19-2008 | 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

What kind of effect will this have on throwing codes with the increased flow?
Or will it have no effect? Or will we have to have a tune from HP to correct this?
I know a lot of questions
Old 01-19-2008 | 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mels SS
What kind of effect will this have on throwing codes with the increased flow?
Or will it have no effect? Or will we have to have a tune from HP to correct this?
I know a lot of questions
It would be almost necessary to get a tune after headers.
Old 01-19-2008 | 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

yay another thread about headers we're not gonna get
Old 01-19-2008 | 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
yay another thread about headers we're not gonna get
pessimist.

Old 01-20-2008 | 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree.
Old 01-20-2008 | 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Honestly, if you guys looked at milzymotorsports.com, saw the quality of headers Mike has done and jump on the pre order list, we wouldve had headers almost 2 months ago.
Checked out the site found nothing for LS4 present or future product wise. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
Old 01-20-2008 | 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

If you looked at the past post I made for MMS, I talked about the quality of his 3100, 3400 and 3800 headers. All you have to do is look at the quality of those to see that Mike knows his ****.

Back then, if we had 10 people order headers from him, it wouldve been 800/900, now if you want them they are going to run probley close to 1200+ because it would not be in a bulk order.

They "might" be a few other choices for headers down the road, but thats all I can say at this time.
Old 01-20-2008 | 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Well, pipe thickness is measured in schedules not gauge AFAIK. so I am not sure what thickness the pipe wall would be in equivalent to a gauge. I could be wrong but we refer to pipe as like schedule 5 or schedule 10 or schedule 40 etc, etc. I am going to make the collector the same pipe diameter as the stock one is so that they can be bolted right to the stock setup from the collector back. Each set is going to be hand made though so I can make it whatever I want, upon order I guess. Now as far as the O2 bung, wouldn't moving the O2 sensor further away from the block make the computer think the car is running cooler and dump more fuel into the combustion chamber or am i incorrect here???
Old 01-20-2008 | 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by importandy
Well, pipe thickness is measured in schedules not gauge AFAIK. so I am not sure what thickness the pipe wall would be in equivalent to a gauge. I could be wrong but we refer to pipe as like schedule 5 or schedule 10 or schedule 40 etc, etc. I am going to make the collector the same pipe diameter as the stock one is so that they can be bolted right to the stock setup from the collector back. Each set is going to be hand made though so I can make it whatever I want, upon order I guess. Now as far as the O2 bung, wouldn't moving the O2 sensor further away from the block make the computer think the car is running cooler and dump more fuel into the combustion chamber or am i incorrect here???
Alright...steel, whether rolled, flat, crumbled in a ball, square or drawn always has a measured thickness, aka its gauge. Look here, http://www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm.

Fabricating a set of headers and then running a stock-sized collector is rather foolish in my opinion. If you are trying to open up the exhaust flow by increasing flow at the manifold, why choke the new-found flow by joining it with a stock-sized collector. I would hope that you have upgraded your exhaust to 3" or at least 2.5" all the way back to the pipes if you intend to install some headers; if not your gains will be minimal.

As for the O2 sensors, you could get some simms, tune them out, or find some from a different LSx car that would correct the reading...IIRC, the Bosch O2's for a Vette should do the trick; I'm pretty sure ws6store sells them.
Old 01-22-2008 | 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
pessimist.

well given the way things have been up until now, it's the better way to look at it. realist.
Old 01-23-2008 | 12:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
well given the way things have been up until now, it's the better way to look at it. realist.
That made my day...errr night .
Old 01-23-2008 | 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Fabricating a set of headers and then running a stock-sized collector is rather foolish in my opinion. If you are trying to open up the exhaust flow by increasing flow at the manifold, why choke the new-found flow by joining it with a stock-sized collector. I would hope that you have upgraded your exhaust to 3" or at least 2.5" all the way back to the pipes if you intend to install some headers; if not your gains will be minimal.
The headers not only serve to open up the diameter of the pipe but it smooths out the flow due to being made with tube or pipe rather than a casted mold with burrs and harder angles. As far as diameter of the exhaust, I was told by a very reputable local speed shop that does a lot of work for friends and family and makes very fast vehicles, that the 2.5" is good for up to about 450 HP. By using 3" pipe it actually decreases back pressure to the point where it does no more than the 2.5" and may even rob some HP in some applications. Hopefully, the stock manifolds will be en route from a guy on here that I have been talking to so that I can start mocking up. let's keep our fingers crossed that everything falls into place, the stars align and we can have some sweet headers made for our LS4s
Old 01-24-2008 | 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
I talked to Mike over a year ago but couldn't come up with the funds or another vehicle for the couple weeks/weekends he'd need the vehicle to do these. Meant to meet up with him at IDD but never happened...
Old 01-24-2008 | 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

How difficult is it going to be to get to the rear header. The front one shouldnt be too bad but the one in back is going to be a ball buster.
Old 01-24-2008 | 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by importandy
The headers not only serve to open up the diameter of the pipe but it smooths out the flow due to being made with tube or pipe rather than a casted mold with burrs and harder angles. As far as diameter of the exhaust, I was told by a very reputable local speed shop that does a lot of work for friends and family and makes very fast vehicles, that the 2.5" is good for up to about 450 HP. By using 3" pipe it actually decreases back pressure to the point where it does no more than the 2.5" and may even rob some HP in some applications. Hopefully, the stock manifolds will be en route from a guy on here that I have been talking to so that I can start mocking up. let's keep our fingers crossed that everything falls into place, the stars align and we can have some sweet headers made for our LS4s
Whatever....
Old 01-26-2008 | 09:06 AM

I'm all for some headers,But..........Can we honestly expect any real performance gains out of shorties for 8 or 900$?Not to sound negative but it seems that only the most modified guys with deep pockets would benefit from them,Correct me if I'm wrong.How about extrude honed manifolds?
Old 01-26-2008 | 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06PIMPALASS
I'm all for some headers,But..........Can we honestly expect any real performance gains out of shorties for 8 or 900$?Not to sound negative but it seems that only the most modified guys with deep pockets would benefit from them,Correct me if I'm wrong.How about extrude honed manifolds?
Granted you will not see gains similar to those you would see with a RWD car and longtubes, but the stock headers and crossover pipe are cast and have some restrictive bends. If someone could smooth these transitions out and maybe port match the headers to the block, you may see 10-15 HP. Headers would improve the scavenging affect of the exhaust, and move our powerband slightly in RPMs. I can say that I don't want any more power down low; I think our cars are strong pullers down low, they just peter off up top. Thats why my rockers, springs, and push rods are trying to improve the engine's upper RPM potential....and headers would open up the exhaust even more (I have a custom 3" system). Only If someone (a company) would step-up and offer a 90/90 intake and matching TB, then we could improve intake and exhaust.
Old 07-07-2008 | 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have pics of the stock manifolds, I would be in the market for a set of takoffs, maybe..
Old 07-08-2008 | 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Quick Reply: Headers