LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Extended Warranty-Should I??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, they call it a "Platinum" coverage, which just basically means it mimics the factory warranty. Same road side assistance, same towing coverage, some mechanical part coverages. The easiest way they explain it is that it just doesn't cover wearable items(i.e. tires, brake PADS, belts, wiper blades, etc..)
Old 01-13-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did a lot of searching looking for a "JM&A" dealer but found nothing so I went with the GM Majorguard. Cost me $1900 and I have a $100 deductible for 30,000k over current mileage. I can also extend it anytime before 2,000 miles before it ends.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSWS6
Well I did a lot of searching looking for a "JM&A" dealer but found nothing so I went with the GM Majorguard. Cost me $1900 and I have a $100 deductible for 30,000k over current mileage. I can also extend it anytime before 2,000 miles before it ends.
WOW! A 30 million mile warranty for only $1900! J/K of course, could not let your typo just slide on by, but really, you are essentially betting that you are going to lose a major drivetrain part in the next 30 thousand miles. Let's say your tranny goes. You would be in for two grand with the warranty. What would it cost to replace it on your own? Maybe three for a stock replacement? So now you are paying almost two thousand on the chance to save one thousand on something that has to fail relatively soon. You have paid 2/3 of the cost of something that is not very likely to happen. (IMO)
Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 06 SS
WOW! A 30 million mile warranty for only $1900! J/K of course, could not let your typo just slide on by, but really, you are essentially betting that you are going to lose a major drivetrain part in the next 30 thousand miles. Let's say your tranny goes. You would be in for two grand with the warranty. What would it cost to replace it on your own? Maybe three for a stock replacement? So now you are paying almost two thousand on the chance to save one thousand on something that has to fail relatively soon. You have paid 2/3 of the cost of something that is not very likely to happen. (IMO)
Oops, ya I meant 30k.

Ya I know what your saying, and it was a tough decision, but with these cars still being relatively new I thought it was a good idea. And more than just the tranny can go, but yes that is the major concern. Hopefully you are right and its not very likely to happen, but it already has once with this car. Plus several other things have been fixed/replaced under warranty so far. There's no way to tell the future but better to be safe than sorry. Plus an extended warranty will give better resale value should I decide to sell it.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Just a couple of questions. I bought my '06 SS used with 15k miles on it. It was GM certified used with a 100k mile warranty. I'm at just under 30k now. Would I need to extend my warranty. Is the certified warranty bumper to bumper or is it just for the powertrain?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

Just powertrain.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 AM
Teching In

So i have also been thinking about getting an extended warranty. Mine is an 07 gm cert ive heard that te 07+ have a 10yr 100,000 powertrain is this true??? if so i really dont see much of a need to get and extended warranty do u guys agree??
Old 02-05-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also like to understand the 5/100 a little better. Does this cover any failures in the engine/trans/axles ?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kylegxp
So i have also been thinking about getting an extended warranty. Mine is an 07 gm cert ive heard that te 07+ have a 10yr 100,000 powertrain is this true??? if so i really dont see much of a need to get and extended warranty do u guys agree??
i think my 07 gxp has the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper then 5/100,000 powertrain.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

AFAIK, the 5/100k "powertrain" warranty would at least cover all engine and transmission internals...not sure about axles and such. Anyone know?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Default Extended warranty

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
But you got yours when you bought it, right? There is no way you're getting major guard at 35k with $0 ded. now. On the last brochure they sent me, it was upwards of $2,500 with that...and i'm pretty certain it was WITH some sort of deductible.

I just cracked 30k...definitely going to consider it with the "lemon" that is my car. I know i've had by far the most issues with mine. I wonder if my uncle, the GM mechanic, can get me a deal on the warranty...? How bout you, kissmyss03? Got any deals?
Unfortunately, Buffalo SS is correct. Our Buick dealer said that unless we bought the Major Guard at the time of purchase of our new '08 LaX Super, we wouldn't be able to buy it at a later date. So we decided to buy a 3 year MG extended warranty the day we purchased the new car. Unfortunately, the 4T65E-HD tranny used with the Super (and Impala SS) is the same one used in the Regal GS (and Pontiac Grand Prix GTP). Even though it's supposed to be heavy-duty, it's still the weakest part of the powertrain. Buick (and Chevy) should have used the Cadillac's 6-speed in the Super (and Impala) instead. BTW, rather than trade in our '00 Regal GS, we decided to keep it for at least 3 more years, and purchased an extended warranty through the Buick dealer (Advantage Insurance). It cost us $2340 for 3 years with a $100 deductible.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 AM

As much as I would like to say that GM inspires confidence,This car has had a LOT of problems with electrical accessories.I've got 23k on mine and the TPMS stuff was addresed once,Still occasionally will show the right front tire is __.Radio stopped working properly once.Noise in the front end,Rack related.Both seat heaters have acted up.I still like my car but some kind of extended warranty that would be bumper to bumper would be a good idea on these cars!You think a transmission is expensive,Wait until you are a customer pay job on an electrical problem.Labor is hourly until they find it and then there are parts involved,OUCH!Plus the relatively new DOD system scares me a little.This car reminds me of my 04 Ram 1500,Problems out the azz!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not worry about the DOD. This is probably why everything else is having problems , they spent so much time testing DOD they forgot everything else as long as you use synthetic there will be NO buildup to cause pressure loss for the DOD thats the only thing i can think of that will **** it up
Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM

i've been using Valvoline oil and AC Delco filters,Hope that is good enough.BTW My F$#%in TPMS is acting up again and the passenger side seat heater took a **** this morning!So now when i drop it off tomorrow night for the fifth time they get to address the steering coupler rack issue,And the crap I just mentioned!Dammit!I must have gotten a lemon!After they fix this stuff I'm getting rid of this POS!Enough is enough!I have never loved and hated a car so much.I had two 05 GTO's,No problems,An 07 Vette,Clutch chatter issues,Nice for a 40K+ car!Now as much as I'm going to be hated for this I had an 07 Shelby GT that didn't cause me any problems,Also an 06 Mustang GT that acted proper.Maybe GM Merged with Chrysler or something because this really reminds me of my past Mopar experiences!Not knocking GM,They have some kick *** cars,In the past!This sucks!Now what?!?!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06PIMPALASS
I had two 05 GTO's,An 07 Vette, an 07 Shelby GT,Also an 06 Mustang GT.
That many new cars in 3 years. Why are you sticking with this problem child?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Unfortunately a "Marital seperation "has limited my abilities to just get new rides like I used to but....................................I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Dude...you sound like me...aside from the marital "problems" I've had so many issues over the first 30k that it didn't look good. Then I found a good service dept, and I feel a lot better about everything.

I too thought I got a lemon, but had exceeded the mileage limit at the time that i would have qualified...by about 500mi
Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Finally took my car in today for service.Bonus is they rented me an 08 Silverado LT with the 5.3 2 wheel drive and man is it nice!Guess what else,it does some hellacious burnouts,100 footers are easy!Me and my 15 year old son are taking turns seeing who does the best one!Chevrolet service rules!I hope my Impala SS takes a week to fix!This is awesome!HAHA!

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty-Should I??