LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Extended Warranty-Should I??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty-Should I??

My car is getting close to 35k so I'm thinking of extending my warranty to 75k. What do you guys think? The tranny already took a crap on me around 20k and several other small items have also been fixed under warranty. But the car seems to run well now except for the transmission acting weird sometimes, but I think thats just how the POS 4t65e is. As you all know warranties don't cover regular maintenance items, plus in my experience things usually only break after warranties expire anyway. But I'm concerned that the tranny or something else expensive may fail and then I'd be stuck with the bill. Plus since these cars are still kinda new I'm not as confident without a warranty. I guess I can always DD the T/A if it comes down to it, but I'd rather not. Opinions??
Old 01-03-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

i would get it. its what 1200.00 worth it
Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah, I would get it... but make sure you get the Major Guard one, since it covers basically everything... and get it with the $0 deductible, so it doesn't cost you anything...

I have the 5 yr. / 75k mile, Major Guard with $0 deductible myself... paid $1,100 for it... worth it....

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-03-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

But you got yours when you bought it, right? There is no way you're getting major guard at 35k with $0 ded. now. On the last brochure they sent me, it was upwards of $2,500 with that...and i'm pretty certain it was WITH some sort of deductible.

I just cracked 30k...definitely going to consider it with the "lemon" that is my car. I know i've had by far the most issues with mine. I wonder if my uncle, the GM mechanic, can get me a deal on the warranty...? How bout you, kissmyss03? Got any deals?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, sorry... should have mentioned that... I bought the warranty when I bought the car...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Yea and what about modding the engine Does'nt that void the warranty , Che pas moi ? = I dunno
Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Teching In

I got my 5 year 75k mile for around $900 (a few months after I got my car). These guys are the cheapest by FAR. Send them an email.

Dennis Fichtner
gmpp@fichtnerchevrolet.com
Fichtner Chevrolet
Laurel, Mt
406-628-4618, Ext 105
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I orginally had a $1900 one that ran 7 years 75,000 miles.... I yanked it. Once i saw all the parts on ebay and the fact that I was going to do things to the car that would void it out anyways...That and all the stuff that I hear about it...I think I got a good car under me regardless...I got back $1600 that went directly to the principle
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

I remember seeing Fichtner mentioned at other forums for this reason. I'll give them a shout when i can.

Originally Posted by vette0009
Yea and what about modding the engine Does'nt that void the warranty , Che pas moi ? = I dunno

According to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, nothing you do can void that part of the warranty unless it's proven that it caused the fault in the first place. Installing an intake wouldn't affect your power steering or alternator, so they'd still fix it. However, if you grenade your engine b/c it's running too lean due to the intake, that's reason to void the warranty for that repair (and possible related repairs to the engine after that). Regardless, it doesn't void the remaining part of your warranty, such as the transmisson or suspension components.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I haven't modded my engine, so I'm safe... all I've changed was adding a CAI / K&N cone filter... they can't void the warranty cuz of that, as mentioned by Buff above...

Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

you tuned your car as well. that would void the warranty i believe. then again, if you roll it back to stock, whos to say you ever tuned it same thing with any other mods. whether they cause the problem or not, id probably pretty quickly be able to demod my car for the purpose of servicing it. the only thing id not like to tackle is the exhaust if i dont have to.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

that's why the Predator is nice I restore the original stock backup anytime it goes in for any work... no signs of ever having a different program/tune in there and no one knows anything...

Old 01-03-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would do it. My last monte carlo with the 4t65 had 9 transmission repairs and i would make sure its 0 deductable because as many times as they say they can't replicate the problem.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
that's why the Predator is nice I restore the original stock backup anytime it goes in for any work... no signs of ever having a different program/tune in there and no one knows anything...
You can do that with HPT too.....
Old 01-03-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

As a finance director for a automotive dealer group here in the Milwaukee area(we have 7 total stores) I have something cool for you

The GM ones are what people are always gonna consider the best, since it's "GM". We do that, as well as through a company called JM&A based out of Deerfield Beach, FL.

Anyways, reason I'm posting is that if you can find a dealership local to you that is a JM&A store, they offer a GPR warranty. If you are under 35k miles, they can sell you a warranty in a variety of different mileage/term/deductibles. Here's the COOL part. If you NEVER make a claim, meaning no roadside assistance, no parts breakage, etc... They will refund the money you spent on the warranty. It's a Guaranteed Price Refund(obviously there is a $50 admin fee) but you'd get whatever you paid for it minus that $50 back. Pay $2000 for the 100k mile warranty, you'l get $1950 back after the term/mileage ends.

It's hard NOT to sell those because it's almost a forced savings account if you never use it. If you use it to cover something big, well you got your money's worth. No lose situation.

Just wanted to put that FYI out there
Old 01-04-2008, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
As a finance director for a automotive dealer group here in the Milwaukee area(we have 7 total stores) I have something cool for you

The GM ones are what people are always gonna consider the best, since it's "GM". We do that, as well as through a company called JM&A based out of Deerfield Beach, FL.

Anyways, reason I'm posting is that if you can find a dealership local to you that is a JM&A store, they offer a GPR warranty. If you are under 35k miles, they can sell you a warranty in a variety of different mileage/term/deductibles. Here's the COOL part. If you NEVER make a claim, meaning no roadside assistance, no parts breakage, etc... They will refund the money you spent on the warranty. It's a Guaranteed Price Refund(obviously there is a $50 admin fee) but you'd get whatever you paid for it minus that $50 back. Pay $2000 for the 100k mile warranty, you'l get $1950 back after the term/mileage ends.

It's hard NOT to sell those because it's almost a forced savings account if you never use it. If you use it to cover something big, well you got your money's worth. No lose situation.

Just wanted to put that FYI out there
Thanks for the info, I will definetly have to look into that. I'm not anywhere close to Florida though.

It sounds like a warranty is a good idea, but I have no idea how much it cost. If its $1100 with $0 deductible like 06MonteSS said than I will be getting it for sure. And I did get a tune but that can be reversed anytime. I knew about the possibility of the dealer reflashing the PCM if I ever had to get the car serviced so I asked Rick and he said he has the tune saved on his laptop and he can upload it to the car again anytime if I ever lose my tune. Now on my T/A I really voided my warranty, for the engine at least, because its cammed.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Doesn't have to be NEAR Florida. I'm in Wisconsin. The company is just based in Florida, but ALOT of major dealerships/dealergroups go with outside companies as well as GM stuff. You'll see Resource, JM&A, and Universal as company that provide warranties and other products.

The warranty would be good at any competent shop(meaning ASE certified techs working) and is good nationwide 24/7
Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Awesome info. Gonna do some Googling to see who may offer it up here.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

It used to be ONLY for cars under 5000 miles, but for '08 they bumped it up to 35k miles, so you'd have to get ahold of someone in the dealership(finance manager) that actually read all the new things, haha.

From what I'm reading(and every dealership may have different costs based on what the owner is looking for) but here's what I see if I'm reading this new online database right...

2006 owners w/ 25k-35k miles on currently, for a 5year/60k from today's date and mileage(meaning you'd have coverage till 85-95k miles) for the GPR warranty, my cost is $1625 w/ $100deduct

2007-2008 owners for the same thing my cost is $1794 w/ $100 deductible.

My retail rates that the finance managers are supposed to sell them for are like 1000-1200 more, hahaha. That NEVER happens though, I think group wide profit on them is like $400-500(just a car sales tidbit for those curious)

So compared to the other ones, it's HIGHER $$$, but you have that possibility of getting it back. If you have less miles, then the price goes down a bit. Like for 0-10,000 miles it's $1245/$1307 respectively based on the model year, and that's for a 7-70k, but at 10k miles, that means you'd only have coverage to 80k miles.

In the end, coverage up to the same amount of miles whether you start at one end or the other of the 0-35k limits, price seems to be the same

Biggest thing is, who's had a tranny replaced OUTSIDE of warranty and what did that cost? I don't know, so I'm looking for something like that to compare against warranty cost.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Is that $1600 warranty you mention above a bumper-to-bumper/major-guard type policy, or is it just powertrain/major components? I may have to consider that one, if it's b2b.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty-Should I??