LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

K&N CAI Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008 | 11:47 AM
Launching!

Default K&N CAI Question

I have had The K&N CAI For a maybe 3-4 months maybe more.
I was checking fluids the other day and noticed the ruber insulation that you have to put on the edges of the metal heat shield was coming off. So I try to put it back on but it won't stay in place. Well After a better look the ruber inulation is made of two pices I gues glued together one is the soft metal that holds onto the heat shield and then on top the ruber tube is glued on. Well the ruber tube fell off only on the top part where it fits against the hood everywhere else seems to be ok for now.
Anyone else have this issue?
I am going to email K&N see what they say.

The piece I am talking about is called the edge trim just looked at their instruction sheet.
Old 01-04-2008 | 01:37 PM
Launching!

I bet they send you a replacement.
Old 01-04-2008 | 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 07gxpgray
I bet they send you a replacement.
+1, and I bet you get it very fast. K&N has really good customer support.
Old 01-04-2008 | 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

I had that same issue and used superglue. Now that area sticks but it's coming apart elsewhere. I'm going to send them an eMail. Glad you brought this up.
Old 01-04-2008 | 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Let me know what they say.
Old 01-04-2008 | 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

And if they know about this issue. also if there new gasket has be updated!!
Old 01-04-2008 | 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Within minutes of my eMail i received the following:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your interest in K&N products. I would be happy to send that edge trim out to you. Please supply your shipping information and this email. I will need to get that defective edge trim back, I will send a call tag (UPS label) to ship it back. Thank you for writing and have a great day.

Sherri Sykes

Customer Service Agent

1(800)858-3333
Old 01-04-2008 | 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Within minutes of my eMail i received the following:
Nice. As I said K%N has great customer service. I'm kind of surprised they wanted the piece back...maybe they want to see what the problem is.
Old 01-04-2008 | 05:22 PM
Launching!

I got exactly the same fast reply as BuffaloSS within 30 from when I sent the email. But I was inmeetings all day. So I just saw it. Great customer service indeed.
Here is the email they sent me:

Dear K&N Customer,
Thank you for your interest in K&N products. I would be happy to send
that edge trim to you . If you could be supply me with your shipping
information and this email. I will need to get the defective edge trim
back , I will send a call tag (UPS Label ) . Thank you for writing and
have a great day.
Sherri Sykes
Customer Service Agent
1(800)858-3333
Old 01-04-2008 | 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Can I give you guys some advice? Everytime I get gas, I always check my oil, tire presure and then the K&N air charger along with all the connection pieces.
Old 01-04-2008 | 06:55 PM
Launching!

That is great advice Taz. I do it once a week every Sat morning now. That is almost if I were to do it at every fill up. If I stay home on weekend I fill up once a week.
When I first put he K&N in I think I checked it almost every day for a few weeks. I was just paranoid that i didnt tighten well the hose clamps. Only the big clamp that holds the cone had to be tighted a couple of times.
Old 01-07-2008 | 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't do that for a while, but then i found the filter sitting on the ECM...just sitting there, not connected. I made sure to reclamp it and check on it over the next couple weeks. Now i do make it a point to do this biweekly.

However, at one point, i overtightened the clamp to the throttle body and it broke...and i forgot about it for a month. It didn't move an inch, though...as the "L" bracket kept it in place. I bought a new clamp from AZ and all is well, now.
Old 01-11-2008 | 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Just to let you know...i received my replacement insulation today via UPS. Great Customer Service indeed!
Old 01-11-2008 | 06:30 PM
Launching!

Got mine today as well.
Old 01-11-2008 | 06:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Same problem...

I have a replacement on my GXP and it happened to that one also. They didn't ask me for the first one back though. Gorilla Glue, anyone?
Old 01-14-2008 | 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

While i didn't take out the packing slip attached to the outside of the box, I didn't notice any "return shipping" slip, either. Guess they didn't really want it back, or they were just making sure i wasn't going to balk at their request.
Old 03-05-2009 | 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

I know this is waking the dead, but wanted to chime in since it was on my mind from another thread.

The replacement piece of K&N edge seal/weatherstripping came apart quite a while ago (and a short while after I got the replacement piece). Upon another member's suggestion, I cut a piece of my rear engine bay weatherstripping/seal (which I previously removed from the engine) and tried that. It fit snug and has stayed on since I initially installed it. Not sure how much better it actually works to keep warm air out, but at least it stays intact. It is definitely as thick if not thicker and more durable than the K&N stuff.
Old 03-05-2009 | 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
10 Year Member

yeah, I used that for the hole in my CAI box that the filter neck goes through.. the edge of the aluminum was sharp - didn't want it to cut through the flange on the filter over time - cuz then I'd have to buy a new filter...

so I took out the dremel tool, made the hole bigger, then used a piece of that rear seal/weather stripping and clipped it on the edge all the way around the hole...

fits like a glove, and now my filter rests against that instead of the sharp aluminum edge...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-06-2009 | 01:02 AM
Launching!

A friend of mine cut the trim at the tangents so it didn't put to much pressure on it from the bends and that seemed to help him out.

Quick Reply: K&N CAI Question