LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Exhaust and shock options...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008 | 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Any thoughts about exhaust and shock options?

What has been the best sounding muffler on our cars? I have Mags but thinking of trying out Borla this year. Also, negatives and benefits of going full 3" back from the downpipe (3" down, Mag. hi-flo cat, back to Borlas or stay with Mags)? I know we are limited by the single piping to our mufflers, but how can I get some more NOISE? I am going to add the exhaust cutout (for the track). HP tune and shift kit are also in the works. Also, my Impala springs will be up for anyone wanting them when I switch to the GTP springs (less than 5000 miles on them). Are there any other shocks (I do like the Bilsteins) that work with the GXP and what mileage is it good to replace them? Appreciated.

Last edited by dj_stylzpgh/GXP05; 02-22-2008 at 10:17 AM. Reason: change title
Old 02-21-2008 | 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Not sure if I'd be interested in the (Eibach?) springs since I'm doing 20s, but what are you looking to get for them?

To get more noise, you could replace the res with a single bullet muffler and just go with pipe all the way back. I think LittleMT did that...or something similar...although her video didn't give a great impression as to the actual sound.
Old 02-21-2008 | 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd love to hear how a set of Borla's would sound. I had contemplated trying them out whenever I go with a new exhaust setup, which won't be for a while. Already know that the MF system sounds good and everyone with Flows sound good as well, but I'd like to try something a little different. So yea, you should probably be the guinea pig and try them out.
Old 02-21-2008 | 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Eibachs...

That's why I tried the Impala springs. I know I got a bit of drop in the front from the Imp SS kit, but really nothing in the rear. I thought maybe the fact that the car sat with the tail a little higher may have helped traction. CompG said the car has a nice rake to it with this setup. I can tell you it feels like there is less transfer front to back on acceleration, and it sits a little more flat in the corners. I've considered seeing if I could put different shocks on the car other than the Bilsteins (although they ain't bad). I'm gonna put the 05 GTP kit which is 1.4 fr and 1.8 r. I have too much lip in the rear. My boys want me to put 20s on, but I have been told that is not good with the shift kit. Plus, they're heavier and you don't roll as fast, but they do look good (As Rob_Raymer had shown.) Shocks anyone?

Last edited by dj_stylzpgh/GXP05; 02-21-2008 at 04:56 PM.