LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Help please-Removing the belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Where is the "hood open" switch located? I was trying to find it so that I could RS the car with the hood open and diagnose a noise at cold startup.
Look down by the parking brake.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

I don't mean where is the release inside the cabin. I mean the electronic switch or sensor that tells the computer that the hood is open. I DO know how to open my hood

(if the actual sensor is down there...then forgive me)
Old 04-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I don't mean where is the release inside the cabin. I mean the electronic switch or sensor that tells the computer that the hood is open. I DO know how to open my hood

(if the actual sensor is down there...then forgive me)
eh i'm slow.

computer keep it from r.s. when you have the hood open? thats a pain in the ***.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

My father always said I wasn't as dumb as I looked, but over the internet it's hard to gauge. Figured you'd be HOPING that i knew how to open my hood by now.

Yeah...the no-RS w/hood open is just a safety precaution. Probably to keep your wife/kids from starting the car from inside the house while you've got your hand wrapped around the belt while you're changing it, or a plethora of other things you could be doing with the hood open when you could ill-afford to have it start up.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah...the no-RS w/hood open is just a safety precaution. Probably to keep your wife/kids from starting the car from inside the house while you've got your hand wrapped around the belt while you're changing it, or a plethora of other things you could be doing with the hood open when you could ill-afford to have it start up.
in all honesty i'm pining for the days when the only thing keeping you from maiming yourself was that thing that's supposed to between your ears (the collective "you", not you in particular ).

"safety"-oriented stuff is becoming more and more of a huge inconvenience in a lot of areas
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Amen!!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MonteSS8707
The alternator and belt has to come off to get the back valve cover off. I've got a remote starter to bump the engine over. I'm not going to take the plugs out, it'll be a little easier to turn over without the belt.

Just thought I would chime in here but you don't need to touch the alternator at all to take off the rear coils/valve cover/rockers and I have also changed the valve springs twice without moving the alternator.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MonteSS8707
The alternator and belt has to come off to get the back valve cover off. I've got a remote starter to bump the engine over. I'm not going to take the plugs out, it'll be a little easier to turn over without the belt.
There must be some differences between the 06 Impala and your 07 MC, on mine, the number two intake rocker was a totally blind swap with not much room to swing your tools, but not that hard and the valve cover just took a little manuvering to get out/in, but no accessories had to be removed
Old 04-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Launching!

I'm all about doing things easier for me. If it takes a little more time to pull off the alternator and belt, but makes my job easier in the long run... its worth it to me. I work on cars 8 hrs a day. So making my job easier and letting me see what I'm working on is totally worth the extra effort to me. Plus I'm not in a hurry when I'm working on my own stuff. Rather do No. 2 rockers not blindly.

Quick Reply: Help please-Removing the belt