LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Tranny problems?? Here's what they check for...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Tranny problems?? Here's what they check for...

got this info from another monte carlo forum, was posted by a GM service tech regarding the process for when someone brings in a car with tranny issues...

----------------------------------------------------

I have worked in Chevrolet service for 30+ years. I am the shop foreman at one of the largest Chevrolet dealers in New York State. We have not seen alot of 4T65E failures on LS4 W-bodies. Most of the 4T65E failures we see are V6 vehicles, probably because of the higher percentage of V6's vs LS4's out there. With all that said, when a vehicle comes into our service department we would have evaluated the transmission problem & looked the vehicle over for signs of severe abuse or modifications that could have contributed to the transmission failure. We also would have run a vehicle ID number inquiry in the GM Vehicle Information System to check if the vehicle was salvaged. If all of these items checked out ok, we would have replaced the transmission with a Goodwrench remanufactured transmission (3yr/100,000 warranty) and performed a thorough transmission cooler flush to remove any debris from the previous transmission failure. There is the existence of technical bulletin #07-07-30-012C which was issued 10/18/2007. This bulletin addresses 4T65E transmission failures in LS4 equipped W-Body vehicles.

We take a general look to see if there is anything obvious. Check the tires for evidence of wheel spinning, inspect the wheel-wells for presence of molten rubber particles, check for the presence of a trailer hitch & question what the weight is of what is being towed to name a few things.

As far as modifications, things we do not want to see: wheel/tire combinations much larger than original, non-OEM intake manifold, headers, evidence that a nitrous system or other power adder has been on the vehicle.

Cat back systems, CAI systems do not really add enough power to a vehicle to consider either to be a major contributor to a transmission failure.

We also do not waste anytime trying to find out if there has been any modifications to the PCM/ECM tune calibrations because its pretty much impossible for us to detect this.

I'm sure that eventually I will be removing the trans. from my 2007 SS for modifications. There are a number of strength upgrades available from ZZP that I will be considering. These include the input shaft, oil pump driveshaft & possibly a gear ratio change kit. A shift improver kit should always be installed. I have the shift kit from ZZP installed in mine. The 4T65E's used in the LS4 cars are HD's with more strength upgrades than the HD's used in the 3800 engine W-bodies. One item that I do have my sights on is the Torsen differential (part#88958682) that is available from GM Performance Parts for the 4T65E. This differential will deliver a very close to ideal 50/50 power split to the front wheels, similar to a posi/limited slip differential but without the clutch plates.

so, that's that... stuff they look for, what they don't, and some info about performance updgrades for the tranny...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 03-13-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info and about what I expected to hear...
Old 03-13-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I always wondered why dealers had such a huge problem with 'cat back systems'. We don't like the stock mufflers, we prefer they sound nicer. It's not going to void the warranty to swap out two chunks of metal, is it?
Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

So I should thoroughly clean the wheelwells and take the hitch off when mine fails?

Even then, they could never say that towing caused the problem. Unless they have pics of you pulling a 35' boat, who's to say you ever abused your towing privileges?

Lew, post this on NAIOA, too. Please.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

already did a little while ago for ya... I put it in your engine/exhaust/tranny forum on naioa...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 03-13-2008, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

I would love to see them try and deny fixing a Tranny for the vehicle showing rubber in the wheel wells from me doing burnouts. They made the damn car, and I will drive it however I want.
Tate
Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh no! My wheels ...they better not deny my repair over my wheels
Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a law that dealers CAN NOT void your warranty or warranty work due to aftermarket parts. Its the The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well, I could see where larger than stock wheels would put additional stress on the tranny/driveline, so that would be a cause for tranny problems, and they could deny warranty coverage for that - just as it was stated above:

"the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty"

"full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use"

Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

Right, but the dealer HAS to prove that something you put on, CAI, Catback, etc was the cause of the problem. IF you ran stock wheels and then changed to new ones right before your trans went bad, then it was the trans, not your wheels.

Its really a grey area, and thats why its really important to find a quality dealer you can trust... Hmm.. In saying that, it does take alot of dealers and times in some cases.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Good luck trying to pull that magnuson-moss ****. There are wayyyyy too many gray areas when it comes to why parts fail.. When it comes to a spendy repair, and a vehicle has aftermarket parts; automatically they're to blame. The dealer or any repair shop will fight it to the end saying its possible that any little modification could have caused the failure, because the car isnt made to work with parts.

My friend just went through this **** with Comp Cams Inc. When there are problems anything you did was why the part failed...

And yes, dealers can refuse warranty if there is significant modifications done to the vehicle or obvious abuse...
Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well naturally once you're dealing with cams and other internals of the engine it's going to be hard to make your case as opposed to simple bolt-ons.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by marcus769
Good luck trying to pull that magnuson-moss ****. There are wayyyyy too many gray areas when it comes to why parts fail.. When it comes to a spendy repair, and a vehicle has aftermarket parts; automatically they're to blame. The dealer or any repair shop will fight it to the end saying its possible that any little modification could have caused the failure, because the car isnt made to work with parts.

My friend just went through this **** with Comp Cams Inc. When there are problems anything you did was why the part failed...

And yes, dealers can refuse warranty if there is significant modifications done to the vehicle or obvious abuse...
They can TRY and pull that, but once you hire a lawyer and get things going, GM will back down. If any of you guys were part of the 2kmc board, there was someone on there that hired someone and fought it and won.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Teching In

so if i put a k&n CAI and a magnaflow cat back exhaust on my 2006 monte ss should i worry about messin up my tranny at all? from what i understand the tranny sounds like it cant handle much power
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Don't worry about a k&N and MF catback affecting your tranny. The trans is relatively solid, or it wouldn't still be in production.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
got this info from another monte carlo forum, was posted by a GM service tech regarding the process for when someone brings in a car with tranny issues...

I have worked in Chevrolet service for 30+ years. I am the shop foreman at one of the largest Chevrolet dealers in New York State. We have not seen alot of 4T65E failures on LS4 W-bodies. Most of the 4T65E failures we see are V6 vehicles, probably because of the higher percentage of V6's vs LS4's out there. With all that said, when a vehicle comes into our service department we would have evaluated the transmission problem & looked the vehicle over for signs of severe abuse or modifications that could have contributed to the transmission failure. We also would have run a vehicle ID number inquiry in the GM Vehicle Information System to check if the vehicle was salvaged. If all of these items checked out ok, we would have replaced the transmission with a Goodwrench remanufactured transmission (3yr/100,000 warranty) and performed a thorough transmission cooler flush to remove any debris from the previous transmission failure. There is the existence of technical bulletin #07-07-30-012C which was issued 10/18/2007. This bulletin addresses 4T65E transmission failures in LS4 equipped W-Body vehicles.

We take a general look to see if there is anything obvious. Check the tires for evidence of wheel spinning, inspect the wheel-wells for presence of molten rubber particles, check for the presence of a trailer hitch & question what the weight is of what is being towed to name a few things.

As far as modifications, things we do not want to see: wheel/tire combinations much larger than original, non-OEM intake manifold, headers, evidence that a nitrous system or other power adder has been on the vehicle.

Cat back systems, CAI systems do not really add enough power to a vehicle to consider either to be a major contributor to a transmission failure.

We also do not waste anytime trying to find out if there has been any modifications to the PCM/ECM tune calibrations because its pretty much impossible for us to detect this.

I'm sure that eventually I will be removing the trans. from my 2007 SS for modifications. There are a number of strength upgrades available from ZZP that I will be considering. These include the input shaft, oil pump driveshaft & possibly a gear ratio change kit. A shift improver kit should always be installed. I have the shift kit from ZZP installed in mine. The 4T65E's used in the LS4 cars are HD's with more strength upgrades than the HD's used in the 3800 engine W-bodies. One item that I do have my sights on is the Torsen differential (part#88958682) that is available from GM Performance Parts for the 4T65E. This differential will deliver a very close to ideal 50/50 power split to the front wheels, similar to a posi/limited slip differential but without the clutch plates.

so, that's that... stuff they look for, what they don't, and some info about performance updgrades for the tranny...

Man I had no idea that my dealership went threw all these steps when my trans was replaced a few weeks ago at around 23,000 miles! My car is pure stock, wouldn't want to pay the $3500 the dealership quoted if it wasn't under warranty. By the way I was told by the service guy that when my 36,000 mile warranty is up so is the replacement trans they replaced no 3 year 100,000 for me, is that true?

Thanks, Tony
Old 06-05-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trend1
Man I had no idea that my dealership went threw all these steps when my trans was replaced a few weeks ago at around 23,000 miles! My car is pure stock, wouldn't want to pay the $3500 the dealership quoted if it wasn't under warranty. By the way I was told by the service guy that when my 36,000 mile warranty is up so is the replacement trans they replaced no 3 year 100,000 for me, is that true?

Thanks, Tony
I dont think thats right i think that is only true after yout 36k and before your 100k anything during your 36k warranty is still warranted by your 100k warranty. if that makes any sence.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Teching In

I guess we’re not the only ones to have transmission problems on the GXP model.
Wife’s GXP w/ 58,000 miles on it; just decided it was going on strike, right @ a intersection.
No forward or reverse.
Had it towed to local poncho shop, & they think it’s the governor.
Now we live in Illinois, so I ask what does Blogovich have to do with our car.
He looked @ us strangely, then realized attempt @ humor. & started laughing.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Teching In

yeah my friend just put a jasper trans in his 06 gxp it only had 31k on it when it took a dump but oh well it should last now
Old 01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I was recently in a little accident that broke both upper and lower control arms and did some damage to right side of my bumper/skirt area, and when I picked the car up from the dealer, no comment was made about the shift kit, SSC springs, STBs, CAI, custom 3' exhaust, Rockers/Pushrods/Springs, ported manifold and TB.....and my cutout was open when I picked her up; it was closed when the accident occurred

Quick Reply: Tranny problems?? Here's what they check for...