LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

My turn for tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008 | 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default My turn for tranny problems

My ImpSS has been shifting funny for a while, but the dealer could never find any problems. Today after pulling into the driveway I noticed some drips on the driveway behind the car. I looked under the car and there was a puddle. I got back into the car and backed it up to see WTF was leaking. I left it running, got out, look under the car and saw it pumping tranny fluid all over the driveway. It's getting towed to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully they can find something wrong this time.
Old 03-16-2008 | 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

What is your year/milage of your car?
Old 03-16-2008 | 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

mm today i looked under my car because my left rotor is making a weird vibration so i was going to switch the sides the rotors where on and switch the pads. Now let me add to the story , i changed my oil filter a few days ago and cleaned everything with brake cleaner "i do this so i know if theres any fresh leaks" while i was under there i noticed the oil pan was slightly covered with a film of something and on the corner was something getting ready to drip but no drips in my garage so its taken a while to work its way there. wiped it off and smelled it to see if i got the scent of oil can't tell what it is but i got further under the car and it looks like its coming from my steering rack??? very thick fluid ?? not sure but its leaky extremly slowly i cleaned it one more time to make sure it wasn't something that was just left over from when they changed out my ISS
Old 03-16-2008 | 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

It's a 2006 with about 25,000. The tow truck driver started it to back it onto the flatbed and it started shooting fluid all over again. Couldn't really tell where it's coming from, but it's either coming from the rack or a transmission line. He said he towed 3 ImpSS's to the same dealer with trans problems in the last 2 weeks. I think mine's probably the rack instead of the tranny because it sounded like the power steering pump was starting to run dry.
Old 03-16-2008 | 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Its a good thing to try and remember this.

Every 2 years or 20k miles, get the trans fluid changed along with a filter and also get the coolant flushed to keep your system running in top shape.
Old 03-17-2008 | 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like the infamous trans cooler return line leak.
Old 03-17-2008 | 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Its a good thing to try and remember this.

Every 2 years or 20k miles, get the trans fluid changed along with a filter and also get the coolant flushed to keep your system running in top shape.
I guess I should back off the visual mods and do some general maintenance then, huh Gonna have the dealer do the tranny fluid soon to make sure they notice any parts of my tranny in the pan.
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:27 PM
Teching In

I have noticed with my Impala SS that if I put it in first gear and manually shift into second under full throttle, there is a jerk before it shifts. It will do this every time, even when shifting well before redline. I took it out today for the first time in months and it seemed to be doing the same thing even when in D or OD. When it shifts at redline, there is a slight jerk during the 1-2 shift. Has anyone experienced this????
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

There is your first problem, your driving an AUTO and trying to Manually shift it???? Not smart. Its an automatic for a reason, leave it in D and drive

Buff, make sure they just drop the trans pan, replace the filter and replace the fluid. Also have them do the dexcool aswell.
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Buff, make sure they just drop the trans pan, replace the filter and replace the fluid. Also have them do the dexcool aswell.
As opposed to a flush?
Old 03-17-2008 | 03:47 PM
Teching In

There is your first problem, your driving an AUTO and trying to Manually shift it???? Not smart. Its an automatic for a reason, leave it in D and drive

Ever race your car much Taz? Cuz if you leave your car in "D" and race anyone past 2nd gear, I'll bet you get your *** handed to you a lot!!!
Old 03-17-2008 | 04:27 PM
Launching!

I used to feel the same "bump" when manually shifting to 2nd. Needless to say, I don't do that anymore lol.
Old 03-17-2008 | 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Since I have a custom tuned car, I do not need to "DROP" it into gear. My car will go down into 2 or 1st with the COMPUTER doing it. Last time I checked, these are not full race cars, but when I do go, all I see is thier headlights in the mirror.

Now I remember why I dont miss Ft. Wayne all that much.

Oh, and BTW if you really wanna race someone, just get your car tuned and then we will talk.
Old 03-17-2008 | 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
As opposed to a flush?
Yes, a flush can do more damage then good. Just have them drop the pan, change the filter and replace the fluid. You will be all set to go.
Old 03-17-2008 | 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CTBSS
Ever race your car much Taz? Cuz if you leave your car in "D" and race anyone past 2nd gear, I'll bet you get your *** handed to you a lot!!!
Oh, and BTW if you left your car in 3rd you would be alot better off then doing what you are now because your trans is only going to take so much before it pukes on you.

Did you know you can leave your car in 1st gear and the computer will shift it into second while the stick is still in first???

ITS AN AUTOMATIC, DRIVE IT LIKE ONE...!!!
Old 03-17-2008 | 07:57 PM
Teching In

Now I remember why I dont miss Ft. Wayne all that much.
I knew Ft. Wayne seemed a little better. Getting rid of dumb asses one at a time!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008 | 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Awww, Cant take the truth can ya??? Ft. Wayne has always been a hell hole. Have fun with those guys up a Halls.
Old 03-17-2008 | 08:02 PM
Teching In

Oh, and BTW if you left your car in 3rd you would be alot better off then doing what you are now because your trans is only going to take so much before it pukes on you.

Did you know you can leave your car in 1st gear and the computer will shift it into second while the stick is still in first???

ITS AN AUTOMATIC, DRIVE IT LIKE ONE...!!!
So shifting at 5600 rpm from 2-3 is faster than running it up to redline?????

And yes, I did know it will shift itself from 1-2 by itself. I posted that last week!!!

Yes IT IS an AUTOMATIC but if your driving skills are such that you need the CAR to do the driving for you, why don't you buy the Lexus that can even park for you!!! Sounds right up your alley!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008 | 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Your car is going to shift when it wants to, not when YOU try and tell it to.

IF you wanted a car you can REALLY shift, why didnt you buy a Manual from Nissan.??? That should be right up there with your class in Ft. Wayne.

Keep up the crying, as I can hear it all the way down here.
Old 03-17-2008 | 08:09 PM
Teching In

Your car is going to shift when it wants to, not when YOU try and tell it to.

IF you wanted a car you can REALLY shift, why didnt you buy a Manual from Nissan.??? That should be right up there with your class in Ft. Wayne.

Keep up the crying, as I can hear it all the way down here.
I'm just crying cuz I didn't get my car for $1000! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Quick Reply: My turn for tranny problems