LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Impala SS

So I just bought my '07 Impala SS, had 1,000 miles on it, so it is virtually brand new. I'm looking for a better sound out of my exhaust and from what I have read, these cars are heavily restricted. I don't want to sound obnoxious, but I don't want to keep it where it is now. Any suggestions?

One other question: As you have modded the LS4, what gains/losses in gas mileage have you seen? I drive 90 miles a day due to work and anything I can do to help that cause out...
Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

For the exhaust, the Magnaflow kit is the only true DIY bolt-on if you cannot weld. It's got a nice, mellow tone but is very noticeable upon accel. Gets rid of the burbly stock sound. Many guys have done mufflers only - some have Thrush and others Flowmaster (classic) 40's and they love them. You can also just slap a pair of replacement Magnaflows on there too...or any muffler of your choice, for that matter.

Usually, gains are negated by aggressive driving, so I don't know if anyone can say for sure what they've gained in the mileage dept.

Welcome, btw...and check out the Impala forum in my sig when you get a moment
Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 for the magnaflow system, but if you want alot better sound, do not put the magnaflow res on there. But a replacement pipe from hoganperformance.com and use that instead. The res acts like a 3rd muffler on these cars.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Launching!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yvNFuVuYoVI
ive got a custom exhaust 3" from the cat into a 2 1/2 y pipe, res delete, and flowmater 40's mufflers
Old 03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

When I got the thrush it did seem like the car lost a little sop but sop can be decieving so Im noot sure. Did you guys feel like your car got faster when you did the full cat back magnaflows?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

I think I lost some down low between the K&N and MF, but definitely gained up top. Unfortunately, I don't get on the highway enough to use the up-top power.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleh just get a cutout and remove the res... Better sound and you can control it. To me flowmasters sound exactly like stock not enough diffrence to fork the money over for it. If you want to see a vid of my exhaust cutout check the link in my signature
Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Bleh just get a cutout and remove the res... Better sound and you can control it. To me flowmasters sound exactly like stock not enough diffrence to fork the money over for it. If you want to see a vid of my exhaust cutout check the link in my signature
Any more interior resonation or noise when cruising or part throttle. Just gotta be carfull this is my wifes DD
Old 03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Hey, thanks for all the input, everyone. This is my first V8 and I'm kind of a newbie to serious modding, so I really appreciate all the feedback. I've been reading different threads and picked up on some points. Here's what I have so far, correct me if anyone disagrees:

K&N Intake
Hogan downpipe with Hi Flow Cat
Thrush welded Mufflers (thanks for the info fotoboy)
still haven't decided on resonators on/off (any advice gretly appreciated)

Would this be a decent setup? If so, what gains in HP am I looking at? Am I digging myself a grave in MPG?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fotoboy
Any more interior resonation or noise when cruising or part throttle. Just gotta be carfull this is my wifes DD
yea its abit loud in the car. specially around 6k. Ive yet to find a car on the road as loud as my MC
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speedoffastness
Hey, thanks for all the input, everyone. This is my first V8 and I'm kind of a newbie to serious modding, so I really appreciate all the feedback. I've been reading different threads and picked up on some points. Here's what I have so far, correct me if anyone disagrees:

K&N Intake
Hogan downpipe with Hi Flow Cat
Thrush welded Mufflers (thanks for the info fotoboy)
still haven't decided on resonators on/off (any advice gretly appreciated)

Would this be a decent setup? If so, what gains in HP am I looking at? Am I digging myself a grave in MPG?
To me the resanator really did not make any diffrence on or off except it made it more raspy
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

I found, with quality mufflers and a solid exhaust system that you do not get that raspiness unless you rev the engine over the rev limiter in park. Yes you can change that setting, but its not worth it.

My vote is remove the res.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 3" Offroad downpipe, plus Thrush mufflers, and a res delete will let your car breath easier, and sounds much better. It's what I'm running at the moment. When I get my camera working again I'll get a video of it for you.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
The 3" Offroad downpipe, plus Thrush mufflers, and a res delete will let your car breath easier, and sounds much better. It's what I'm running at the moment. When I get my camera working again I'll get a video of it for you.
How many peoples are throwing codes doing this?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm only throwing one code, and it doesn't bother me. I'm getting it tuned, soon. The 3" downpipe is the only thing causing it to throw a code. I haven't even bothered to check which code # it is, because I already know the issue. Biding time to the HP tuners..
Old 03-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

I just put the SLP intake on the car and it sounds phenomenal! Big gains in top end, esp from 80 mph

Still undecided about the resonators...anybody have a sound clip with all/some off?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

HUH? What SLP intake is there????
Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Link to SLP intake system please as www.slponline.com does not have anything for our cars.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Teching In

It's because it actually isnt out yet ! Set to release to the public in mid summer I believe

I ordered it through an SLP sponsor program...gimme a couple days and I will post pics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the K&N has a plastic tube-SLP is steel, comes with sleeve fitting to mount after MAF. Looks really slick, produces a nice low end growl and a pretty mean sound when you get on it!

I will post more if I can get more info on ordering if it is possible
Old 03-22-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

As of friday when I talked to the guys at SLP, they said at this time, they had nothing in the works. Now, is this the same SLP style intake that was used on the 00-05 Wbody cars, where you have a huge box and an 8-9" cone in it?