LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Rattle can help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008 | 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Rattle can help

As some of you know i purchased a 97 eldorado TC. There is a scrape on the side molding of the passenger door that can be fixed with some paint. I've had experience using touchup paint with good results on small area's but sense this is on the door i want it to look a little better. Can anyone tell me step by step what i need to do to paint this trim. Its plastic from what i know already i need to sand it smooth of course cover the surrounding area do i need a base coat ? or do i just start sprayin the color ? how long after the base do i do the color if i do the base how long after do i do the clear coat what type of paint do you recommend SO FORTH i know i'm asking alot but i know alot of you have had some experience. Thx
Old 03-23-2008 | 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have done a lot of painting so I can probably help you out with a rattle can solution if you like. First, the paint is 10 years old so it is faded. For this reason it is important to use the body separations as guidelines for what you should paint. This will hide minor imperfections. My best advice for keeping it cost effective is to follow these steps.

1) Clean the area real good
2) Take care of the scratch if there is any depth with a little fiberglass bondo. Smooth that down smooth (150 grit, work up to 600 grit)
3) Clean the area again
4) Tape off the entire molding piece on the door(you need to paint the entire piece).
5) Get a Scotch red scratch pad and
6) Wipe the area down with a paint prep cleaner solution (it will get rid of oil, fingerprints, dust, etcetera)
7) 1 light coat of self etching primer (will etch plastic). . . .don't waste you money on adhesion promoter crap.
8) Sand with ~1000 grit wet
9) Check for any imperfections, repeat any previous steps if neccesary
10) Clean with prep cleaner again
11) Let dry fully
12) Time for paint. . .1 light coat at a time, 3 coats should do it, but make sure you have good coverage. If it is metallic make sure to follow one direction down the piece otherwise it will look el crapo. Let it dry for a couple hours.
13) Wet sand with 1200 or up grit, just lightly to get orange peel out
14) Clean with water
15) A couple coats of clear
16) Buff with a fine finishing compound

Hope that helps,

Ed
Old 03-30-2008 | 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sint3k did my advice help, any questions?
Old 03-30-2008 | 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea it came out excellent i had problems finding the right paint because the paint on the lac is a tri paint so i painted them black with a clear thanks printed out your instructions and never looked back hehe

Quick Reply: Rattle can help