LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

STB rattle???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STB rattle???

I had a really annoying rattle that I though was comming from the dash... Suffice it to say I tore my dash apart to embark on a quest to solve this rattling issue...I would hear it in not moving hot drive or reverse or in low load DOD. I didnt find the rattle in the dash but as I was walknig arout he car I did hear something in the cowl..so I put the dash back togther(I so did not want to see what was behind the dash till lik 8 years from now when I probably would actally have a reason to go back there). I tore apart the cowl.. the wiper linkage is nice and tight...the cabin filter is yucky.... still couldnt find the problem...once again as i was walking around the car I heard the sound and I got out my stethoscope and started to probe everything under the hood.... Found it was my STB....The onlything that was touching it was the transmission dipstick. Verified it was the dipstick... RATTLING so loud that I heard it over the engine while I was driving...And it wore the paint down on the STB too... So I got out my hammer and went to my vise and started to mangle the bar to make clearace for the dipstick....Problem fixed.. But I have to say my STB has seen better days LOL.

Anyone else have this problem???