LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

LS4 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS4 swap?

I want to know if the 06 LS4 out of a Monti Carlo will swap into a new Malibu? More specifically, will the ECM, BCM communicate with the Malibu dash and function properly?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO, because the ECM/TCM changed from 2006 to 2007/08 for the LS4 cars. Now it "MIGHT" work if you got a LS4 from one of those years. But why do that to a new Malibu when you could spend alittle more and get a brand new 08 Impala SS with the LS4 already in it???
Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

The LS4 is not going in a Malibu, I would like to put it in a Fiero, I asked the question because instead of using the Monte dash, I would like to use the Malibu dash in a Fiero and was wondering if the electronics were compatable. What were the changes made for 07/08?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

What about the malibu dash are you trying to move over? Seems like it would be more important to get the engine in first, rather than worry about such a minor issue, in comparison.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. When doing a swamp, the most important thing to do is make sure the engine is going to fit\run. Grabbing the dash\gauges, etc, that's all secondary.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

under normal circumstances the engine would be first, BUT I live in CA and to do the transplant emissions legal I have to have a gauge cluster that works properly and display the vital info for the ref to see.
The plan is to get the engine running outside the car first. ALL control modules gas tank sending unit in a custom tank, steering column with the stock LS4 key and anti-theft system, gages, charcoal canister and other miss stuff. Then put it ALL in the Fiero. This is how I did my 3.5 Short Star swap.
I want to use the new dash heater/AC controls and systems, radio and door panels too. The Fiero dash sux in my opinion and I cant wait to get rid of it. I would not consider adapting the engine to run it.

Looking at the Monte, Impala, GXP, and Malibu gauge pods it "looks" like they are very similar. Basically the same gage cluster with different plastic covers and overlays. SO it "may" be possible to just disassemble the Malibu gage cluster and insert the Monte Carlo cluster behind the plastic aesthetic shield/cover?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It may be, I just haven't heard of anyone in the LS4 forum who has done an engine TCM/ECM/BCM swap into another vehicle.

You could try posting this in the Conversions/Hybrid section. I expect that there are several people over there who have gotten different gauge pods to work with different TCM/ECM/BCMs.

Quick Reply: LS4 swap?