LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

New SS Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008 | 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Default New SS Owner

Long time lurker first time poster.

I just picked up my Brand New 2008 Impala SS Thursday... and I am loving every mile in it. My lease was up on my trailblazer and when I went to turn it in, there was this black Impala SS, fully loaded sitting there. After a test drive I was sold. Plenty of room for me at 6' 5" with plenty of power. The FWD helps in the snow that we get here.

Its stock for now, but I am sure that will change. After reading on the boards I have made a little wish list of performance mods. A few add ons will help increase the pep it has, but its fun to drive as is.

So far I am looking at getting a K&N CAI, Hogan downpipe, Magnaflow exhaust and a Tune from Trifecta.

I did email Borla asking if they had any plans on making an exhaust kit for these cars, but I am sure I am not the first so we will have to see.

Anyways, just stopped in to say hello!
Old 03-29-2008 | 10:21 AM
Teching In

Congrats and welcome... I've also been lurking around here but am new to posting. Lot of great info here.

There was a rumor that Borla was making a GM accessory exhaust for these cars, but as far as I know that never happened.

Last edited by SportRedSS; 03-29-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-29-2008 | 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Welcome to the both of you. Garou, on 4/26 there's a meet in Fort Erie, Ontario where we'll head up to the Falls afterward. Interested?

BTW, I've got good friends in Fairport...on Aldwick Rise indirectly off Garnsey.
Old 03-29-2008 | 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to both of you from me as well. As far as the Borla kit, I had hear that as well, but I don't think anything ever came of it. Borla denied working on any kit for the LS4 when I emailed them a few months ago. You could always get some Borla mufflers and have an exhaust custom fabbed up at a shop.
Old 03-29-2008 | 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome. As far as I know, Borla hasn't made any specificly for our vehicles, but I imagine if you really want Borla, you can purchase it, and a decent shop will be able to configure the hangars for you.
Old 03-29-2008 | 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome and congrats on the new LS4...!!!
Old 03-29-2008 | 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome!
I have the magnaflow cat-back and BuffaloSS also has it. Listen to his sound clips, that's exactly how the exhaust will sound. I love it!

I've never heard of the Trifecta tuner, is it a new PCM?
Old 03-29-2008 | 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Trifecta has a program where instead of sending your EMC and TMC to them, they create a custom tune and send it to you in a hand held tuner. You upload the tune and them mailt he tuner back. The SS is my only car so works for me since there is no down time.

I will probably do the intake first, then magnaflow and downpipe, then have the car tunes afterwards. Should give me a nice boost in performance. I will have to find those sound clips and take a listen.
Old 03-29-2008 | 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

I think AKChevyman already used them for the tune. Check for his posts.

Here's a pair of my clips. The first was the evening (or thereabouts) when it was installed. The other was mainly to demonstrate the 8000k HIDs i had at the time, but as I get on the highway, you can hear the exhaust at semi-WOT. (Edit...they're actually bad vids after listening to them. In the first one, the crickets next to the camera are going buck-wild and drowning out the exhaust The second one is more about Ruben Brown and the Bears in last year's super bowl)

Old 03-31-2008 | 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

The clips sound good. I am sure my first upgrade will be the K&N CAI. The stock intake looks to restrictive and I want to hear that sound under the hood.

How big are the tip on the Magnaflow compared to our stock tips? i would like a little bigger tips, something that will fill out the cutouts in the bumper more.
Old 03-31-2008 | 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the MF tips are 4 inch, but don't quote me on that. I think they also need a little convincing to have them fit nicely or else they stick out far and look weird. But they look great if they're done right.
Old 03-31-2008 | 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, the MF tips are 4"...and I happen to have a pair that I took off my setup.