LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rocker arms

does performance rocker arms such as crane or comp make that big of a difference?
what rocker arm kit should i get for my ls4?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Crane 1.8 kit and they do make a difference. I say a good 8-12 hp and the power band pulls more if you have supporting mods.

http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2007/ii_7-rocker-2.html
Old 04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

even with the stock tune, my Crane Quick Lift rockers let me walk 2 other LS4 cars pretty handily. I am pleased with them. (and my Impy is fully loaded and more than a little heavier than the two Monte SS cars that I pulled on.)
Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

(and my Impy is fully loaded and more than a little heavier than the two Monte SS cars that I pulled on.)
Stock tune I walked a Monte SS and Impy also. They are worth the $800 in my view; one of the only few modes you can even do.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

I am almost at the point where they are my next logical mod...
Old 04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would look at these as an option too: https://www.patriot-performance.com/...&cat=49&page=1

-Mike
Old 04-14-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Crane are by far the better rocker to go with but the Yella Terra are way easier to setup.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Crane "quick lifts", best rocker out there right now for LSX motors! Becareful on valve spring selection with these rockers though.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think the best rockers are a matter of opinion. I have heard horror stories with both the Crane and Harland Sharp ones this is why I went with the Yella Terra's. Great product and no fussing with valve lash and you also do not have to grind down any rockers to fit under the valve cover. Like I said the best ones are only a matter of opinion. Hope this helps.

-Mike
Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

No horror stories really with the Crane's (once you throw out the worthless installation directions and install them just like a regular small block). The geometry of them is fairly interesting. They actually sorta dog-leg (hard to explain, you can find diagrams on the web) and come off the cam at a 1.9 lift instead of the 1.8 ratio of the others, just pulling in more charge early (the most critical time of the filling process) and decrease to a 1.8 ratio at around 0.300 lift IIRC and maintain that 1.8 through the rest of the spin until they set down (Again at the 1.9 ratio), faster ramp speed up (and further open), faster ramp speed down (quicker setting down also means more torque with trapping the charge) They should be worth an additional 5ish horses over the HS or YT's. If the slightly more involved install and extra cash are worth those horses to you, then they are better.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

No horror stories really with the Crane's (once you throw out the worthless installation directions and install them just like a regular small block). The geometry of them is fairly interesting. They actually sorta dog-leg (hard to explain, you can find diagrams on the web) and come off the cam at a 1.9 lift instead of the 1.8 ratio of the others, just pulling in more charge early (the most critical time of the filling process) and decrease to a 1.8 ratio at around 0.300 lift IIRC and maintain that 1.8 through the rest of the spin until they set down (Again at the 1.9 ratio), faster ramp speed up (and further open), faster ramp speed down (quicker setting down also means more torque with trapping the charge) They should be worth an additional 5ish horses over the HS or YT's. If the slightly more involved install and extra cash are worth those horses to you, then they are better.
Perfect write up, those instructions F@CKED me up at first. Took 6 times until we had it perfect.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Well it looks like my next mod is rockers.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

What are the exact #'s I need to order for the set!!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:14 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 06 SS
THIS IS NOT CORRECT! YOU MUST FOLLOW THE CRANE PROCEDURE TO AQUIRE THE CORRECT PRELOAD. It is a very lengthy and time consuming procedure, but it is the correct method.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mels SS
What are the exact #'s I need to order for the set!!
#144759-16 is the complete 1.8 kit, but I would strongly suggest dual valve springs (#144309-1 kit) to go with it, for optimum valve control.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

I would love to change the springs but it was a pain in the *** setting them up at first and I do not need that headache.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JPH
THIS IS NOT CORRECT! YOU MUST FOLLOW THE CRANE PROCEDURE TO AQUIRE THE CORRECT PRELOAD. It is a very lengthy and time consuming procedure, but it is the correct method.
Sorry, but it is not a good method, nor is it necessary (per a phone call to Crane during my install). The directions are written so that you do not need to keep track of which pushrods are on the base. It is not hard to find when number one exhaust is off the lobe and then rotate and add preload in sequence after zero lash is found. I had trouble with the lifters bleeding down with their goofy system. Once I did it the normal way, was a walk in the park.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry, but it is not a good method, nor is it necessary (per a phone call to Crane during my install). The directions are written so that you do not need to keep track of which pushrods are on the base. It is not hard to find when number one exhaust is off the lobe and then rotate and add preload in sequence after zero lash is found. I had trouble with the lifters bleeding down with their goofy system. Once I did it the normal way, was a walk in the park.
X2 The lifters bleeding down I had one get stuck and had to put the stock ones back on to bring them back.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like self adjusting rockers are the way to go. Seems like way less problems... Thanks Yella-Terra....

-Mike
Old 06-03-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

how hard was it it switch the rocker arms? what springs would you recommend?

Quick Reply: rocker arms