LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Weird rattle when 8>4 cyl. switch...maybe tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too noticed this untill I started to use Royal Purple oil..... Hmm...
Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the dipstick thing worked for a few days but the rattle is back. I can't get rid of it this time with the dipsticks so it must be something else. If it wasn't such a pain to take it to the dealer SEVERAL times, I'd let them fix it. It much easier just to use the nonDOD tunes. I wonder if it could be related to the DOD lifters collapsing because it stops instantly when it goes back to V8 mode.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, it's instantaneous. Considering that it IS related to the DoD, I'm definitely going to have it looked at. I can't afford, literally and figuratively, to have the DoD crap out on me because of this. I've got 1200mi left to go on the factory warranty, so it looks like I'll be getting it in to the dealer next week after confirming with my uncle that they can give me a loaner.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man that really sux, still having problems and almost outa warrenty, Im glad I bought my 06 SS Certified preowned, it had 5K on it when I got it and was only 10 months old, now the B2B warrenty is extended to 39K and I have a powertrain warr. to 100K, plus loaner and roadside assist. Hope they get it fixxed for ya! And soon.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the noise too. Today I had the windows down and immediately heard the rattle when in 4 cyl mode coasting to a stop with the radio low. The RPM was around 1K so I’d expect little to no harmonic at that point. Putting it into neutral to force a switch back to 8 cyl eliminated the noise. I’ll be taking it in as it is easily reproducible. I just got the oil changed less than 1k ago and only have just over 16k total on the car.

I just need to remember to remove the DS tune before I have to deal with BS from the dealer.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

I've got about 800mi to go, and the wife is done with school tomorrow...so I can and will schedule something very soon. If you get there before me, LMK what they say. I figure at this rate I've got two more weeks of warranty left.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok. I'm going to try for the end of the week.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Launching!

let me know what you guys come up with...my car is doing this and it is really getting annoying.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think there is going to be any way to totally get rid of this sound short of replacing the lifters(and I dont want anyone other than myself digging into that engine), and then it still might come back. If you change the oil like twice I guarentee the sound will not be as loud to the point you'll barely hear it.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

I've got an appt. for this friday....and 100mi to spare. Losing our dogs late last week added about 200mi to the odometer. I shelved the car for a while and am borrowing my 'rents car to save that mileage.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Buff, I am really sorry to hear about your dogs.

I hope GM can fix the problem for you.

Although I am keeping the monte, that 2.99 gas for 3 years from Dodge makes the R/T look really good right about now
Old 05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I took my car to the dealer Thursday for the rattling and like usual when the tech went for a ride we could barely hear it. He heard enough to call GM to see if there were any problems reported. He called me Friday and said GM hasn't had many problems with DOD. They suggested "bleeding the lifters" (never heard of that before) by reving the engine to 2000RPM while in park and holding it there for 10min. If that doesn't work, the tech said he'd replace the lifters. Well, it didn't work, but at least I got a few laughs from the looks the neighbors were giving me revving the engine in the driveway for 10 min. I'm calling the dealer Monday to see what they want to do next. The way it stops instantly when it goes back into V8 mode, it has to be the colapsing lifters or the selenoids.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

I know it's gonna be tough getting the dealer to take the problem seriously. I can barely hear it sometimes, but other times you hear it rattle pretty good. You definitely need something that allows the sound to bounce back or you won't hear it, and my dealer is in the middle of nowhere, so I might strike out with that.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Do you ever get the feeling that if we dont walk into the dealership with nothing less then a Corvette, they really dont care about us??? Thats how the dealership is here. They sell a **** load of Vettes, but when it comes to the common cars, they really do not seem to care.

I wonder how the guys at Dodge treat someone with an SRT8 car?????
Old 05-19-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

For my first new car, this sure has sucked donkey *****! My selling dealer was an *******, but this new one seems alright (uncle works there). Either way, I'm screwed though. These two issues are going to be hard to replicate with the tech sitting in the passenger seat. Kinda like peeing in public (bathrooms/stadiums) for some people, I guess.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

This is my first new car as well, and there have been more problems with it than I've had with the used cars I've owned. The dealer's been good about fixing the problems, but I shouldn't have to take it in so many times. I talked to the service person today and they wanted me to bring it in next Tuesday. GM told them to put the car on a lift, turn off traction control, and put it in gear to see if they can duplicate it.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

That's a good idea. I'll have to throw that idea at them to see if they can do it. I knew finding a decent area where you can get sound to bounce back would be tough, so this helps a ton!
Old 05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the car sits at the dealer as I type this. Ran into a little problem when I put the stock wheels back on, and ultimately snapped two studs off the p/s front wheel . I was running late so I just had it towed out there instead of driving it. Wrote my list of concerns (transmission shifting issue, slip/bang), the rattle in 4-cyl mode, and the 2 lug studs.

Still no word from them, but I haven't called them, either. I just hope it's a matter of them being busy working on the car, and not that they haven't even brought it in yet. I already planned to be w/o the car for the long weekend, but I hope they can offer me some news before late afternoon. If I have to fight for a rental/loaner, I will.

Speaking of...anyone know the GM "law" on loaners? Do they HAVE to give you one if they have the car for more than 24 hours? I thought I heard that before. Regardless whether they sold you the car or not? I need some backup if I have to bitch and moan about this (if the repairs stretch into tomorrow or beyond...which in my case, I HOPE it does if it means getting a new tranny at 35,946mi).
Old 05-23-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Buff,

I don't have paperwork to reference, but while under the 3/36 factory warranty a loaner is authorized if they need to keep the car more than a day. What that translates to if the dealer does not have their own fleet of loaners, I have no idea.

I've been too busy to take mine in for the low speed DOD rattle so I'm looking forward to what they tell you. It kind of reminds me of a very quiet Diesel rattle or the small stone prank in a hub cap.

Good luck on all the issues.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Just got the dreaded call.

DoD noise is "normal" - to which I replied that it hadn't done that for 32,000mi, so I would have to say that the diagnosis is incorrect. They're going to look into it a little bit more.

They couldn't make the transmission do anything wrong, which is what I figured, since it was only occasionally that I'd have issues with it...but he did say that they've noted my concerns so that if anything "drastic" were to occur, I'd be covered.

Lastly, 2 new studs = $60 (phew). I figured $200 minimum, just due to the fact that it's practically 1/2 a brake job just to get in there.

I guess I'm "satisfied," to an extent, regarding the tranny & studs...but I can't live with the DoD rattling. In the city it's very noticeable (and annoying/embarrassing) as it bounces off surrounding cars & houses, and can be heard by all.

EDIT: While digging for loaner vehicle policy, I came across this in Pontiac.com's FAQ's:

Q: When am I entitled to a loaner vehicle?

A: If your vehicle has to be kept overnight for a warranty repair, a loaner vehicle will be provided.
...still looking for something for Chevy.

Quick Reply: Weird rattle when 8>4 cyl. switch...maybe tranny?