LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Weird rattle when 8>4 cyl. switch...maybe tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem here is that you cannot hear it in your car when it's warmed up. Your car must be special...b/c I hear it in mine all day long...as do many others here. If it was just noisy lifters at start up, sure, I wouldn't give a ****...but this noise does not go away with engine oil temp on my car. When I drive down the street...I'm sure others can hear the chain rattling in my engine bay...and that's not acceptable. Those that say it doesn't happen all the time are likely not driving where that sound can bounce back...b/c this doesn't just happen occasionally.

With your background, it's completely understandable that you couldn't care less....you can dig in and fix it if it ever completely fails. Me? Not really. Sure I can do brakes, maybe a tuneup, install an intake...but engine internals aren't my thing (yet). With all of the problems I've had with this car, it's only a matter of time before I get catastrophic engine failure .

That said...it's time to stop bitching and do something about it. Going to have to call the dealer soon and schedule something for this CEL, and I'll have them take another look at this issue.

Also, I will change my oil and try something different. Might need to get my hands on some Amsoil soon. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Launching!

I can also hear it at complete warmup. Just because im running mobil1 it shouldnt make this noise. Im not going to change to a different oil. I think i need a new car.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cherrygxp
I can also hear it at complete warmup. Just because im running mobil1 it shouldnt make this noise. Im not going to change to a different oil. I think i need a new car.
One would think that but not all oils are of the same composition. With that said I think its well worth a shot.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
The problem here is that you cannot hear it in your car when it's warmed up. Your car must be special...b/c I hear it in mine all day long...as do many others here. If it was just noisy lifters at start up, sure, I wouldn't give a ****...but this noise does not go away with engine oil temp on my car. When I drive down the street...I'm sure others can hear the chain rattling in my engine bay...and that's not acceptable. Those that say it doesn't happen all the time are likely not driving where that sound can bounce back...b/c this doesn't just happen occasionally.

With your background, it's completely understandable that you couldn't care less....you can dig in and fix it if it ever completely fails. Me? Not really. Sure I can do brakes, maybe a tuneup, install an intake...but engine internals aren't my thing (yet). With all of the problems I've had with this car, it's only a matter of time before I get catastrophic engine failure .

That said...it's time to stop bitching and do something about it. Going to have to call the dealer soon and schedule something for this CEL, and I'll have them take another look at this issue.

Also, I will change my oil and try something different. Might need to get my hands on some Amsoil soon. Thanks.

Yeah I can do pretty much all things with a car I guess..... As long as I have the proper tools......Body work, that I don't do, no patience for that....No patience for alot of things....I'm a typical New Yorker...

Like I said I wish you the best of luck. If you can get them to alter the design a initiate a recall I'd be right behind you. I just don't think they will respond based on what I know about them. My car special?? Well I think its the only one with a rusty dusty transmission oil pan...Which is never getting better with age mind you. My lifter noise is very minute, like I said you have to strain to hear it whether I'm next to a cement mixer on the expressway or next to a pickett fence in the suburban neighborhood I live in. When I ran Mobile One it was always there and very much in full force. Since I went with Pennzoil, my lifters don't bleed down over night and the DOD function is well muted. I did 2 oil changes to (on a lesser scale) flush the engine out once I knew the oil had an effect. Another thing that got my attention to temperature is if I were to wind it out a few tiems I wouldn't hear it, since friction increases with engine speed so does the heat output.

Honestly I'm tired of going to the dealer. My car has been in and out at a rate of once every other week at times. Mostly because I play their game and not give them ****, plus they always give me a loaner so I get to drive all the new stuff. I only got on them when they were screwing with the OnStar. As far as the basics the engine, transaxle, and chassis has been fine short of a loose steering rack, 26K at point. You motor is not going to fail although this thing about a chain rattling.....
You know the code you car is tossing?

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 09-17-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

What Pennzoil are you using? Synthetic? LMK.

Regarding the "chain rattling"...it's what I compare to the sound that the lifter rattle/chatter makes.

The code is P0051, iirc, pointing to an unresponsive rear o2 sensor. That started back in July, and I haven't taken the time to get under to see if a wire is burned out or something...or if it's somehow unplugged. If I still had the Diablo, I could see if it was reading at all, but I don't anymore... I called Onstar for the code. Might need to call them again to make sure it hasn't thrown any others.

When I last cleared the code, it came back immediately....which leads me to believe that it's a wiring issue. Hopefully, it's at the sensor and not somewhere else. Ultimately, it's an emissions issue, so the dealer should be able to do the work even after the B2B warranty has expired.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Launching!

well last night i was bored and tried what someone had posted earlier. "bleeding the lifters". After doing that i let the car sit for about a half hour and drove it. No noise to my surprise. This morning though i could hear it again. So to the dealer it goes
Old 09-19-2008, 02:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
What Pennzoil are you using? Synthetic? LMK.

Regarding the "chain rattling"...it's what I compare to the sound that the lifter rattle/chatter makes.

The code is P0051, iirc, pointing to an unresponsive rear o2 sensor. That started back in July, and I haven't taken the time to get under to see if a wire is burned out or something...or if it's somehow unplugged. If I still had the Diablo, I could see if it was reading at all, but I don't anymore... I called Onstar for the code. Might need to call them again to make sure it hasn't thrown any others.

When I last cleared the code, it came back immediately....which leads me to believe that it's a wiring issue. Hopefully, it's at the sensor and not somewhere else. Ultimately, it's an emissions issue, so the dealer should be able to do the work even after the B2B warranty has expired.

Yeah Pennzoil Synthetic. I mean feel free to try something else, to me I think these engines are particular in the oil they want as far as the lifters are concerned. The O2 I'm sure will be easy to deal with...
Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Launching!

so has anyone come up with anything from their dealers on this situation?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW I've heard that going to a thicker mobil 1 will help to quell the noise as well. so maybe thicker oil is needed...
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use mobil 1 5w-30, and I don't have that noise issue...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

I am getting the noise now. Stupid crapola, well it is less of a noise and more of a vibration or shudder.... You don't get it because you have DOD disabled Lew!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

AAAHAHAHAA!!!!

you should too! what are you getting for mileage with it on?? any better than the 21mpg I'm getting with it off???

I had worse mileage with it on... I don't really think it does that much, at least not for me in my driving environment...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

It helps on the highway, but I am not on the highway much, if I had a switch I would be golden. It helps for sustained flat cruising... Which I do once in a blue moon. LOL...
Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, so it's not helping you out at all then basically.. heh... I'd disable that sheeoott, get your trims dialed in, and you'll be golden... but, that's just me...

that lifetime average 21mpg I have right now is with 60/40 city/highway drivin'...

Old 10-21-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe I will take the leap, and just put the DOD tune in when and if I go on a vacation trip or some crap....

I guess it is worth a try! Which means I am going to need you to modify my tune a bit. I'll email you though.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yeah, np man...

Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
Maybe I will take the leap, and just put the DOD tune in when and if I go on a vacation trip or some crap....

I guess it is worth a try! Which means I am going to need you to modify my tune a bit. I'll email you though.
how's the new tune treatin' ya??!! got any tires left after last night??

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-26-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Rattle gone, car is a ferocious beast! Lew is da man.

Oh and I still have tires, thankfully!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

has this issue been resolved besides doing a tune to turn DOD off. I know this thread pretty old but i also know some time ppl dont post when things get fixed over time. My car just started making this sound and if there is a fix, i want to let the dealer know.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Teching In

I know this thread is old, but I jut noticed this rattling sound when only in 4cyl mode. I have 80,000kms on the car but just went through a longer than normal mileage between oil changes. I have not checked the car since the new oil change. I've been running AC Delco performance motor oil 5W30 since the car was new. Unusally changing the oil every 5000kms except this time. Has there been any solution to this issue from anyone?

Quick Reply: Weird rattle when 8>4 cyl. switch...maybe tranny?