LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Weird rattle when 8>4 cyl. switch...maybe tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, steveman...been away for a while.

To both of you, I've not investigated this problem any further since I continue to run the non-DoD tune which yields about the same fuel economy with my driving habits...but the problem is still there. On our recent camping trip, I reinstalled the factory tune to give me better highway mileage, and when slowing to a stop the chatter was there.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bout time you got your *** on here Chris lol
Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Almost 80K and its the same story with me. Once it's good and warm I do not hear it.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Almost 80K and its the same story with me. Once it's good and warm I do not hear it.
Yeah, mine's never been weather-dependent. I get startup lifter chatter/tick like everyone else...but this is its own beast.

Originally Posted by Nick_Nasty's_GXP
Bout time you got your *** on here Chris lol
I know...been slackin'. Being broke makes it no fun to swing through here/NAIOA and see the awesomeness that has become of some of these rides. F(most of)ML
Old 08-31-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Yeah, mine's never been weather-dependent. I get startup lifter chatter/tick like everyone else...but this is its own beast.
Well I mean once the engine is warm. I got to run it for like 10 minutes on the expressway and it's gone. On start up....It is not often that I'll get any clatter. If i do it goes away immediately.My engine has been very good except for a small oil stain that I have on the back side of the oil pan. The bellhousing it dry so I think its either coming out a main cap side bolt, crank sensor, or the oil pan gasket. Its not enough to have me tear it up.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys,

I've got the noise in mine too. Its been there for about 15k miles now. Really loud with the windows open and there is a car next to me on the RH side. GM knows about it. I'm suprised this is a 4 page thread without anybody finding this document:

#PIP4440: Engine Rattle Or Tick Noise Worse With AFM (Active Fuel Management) Enabled - Normal Characteristic - keywords BQMI - (Jul 24, 2008)

Subject: Engine Rattle or Tick Noise Worse with AFM (Active Fuel Management) Enabled
Models: 2005-2006 Buick Rainier
2005-2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2005-2006 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
2005-2006 GMC Envoy
2005-2006 Isuzu Ascender
2005-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
2005-2006 Saab 97x
with 5.3L Engine (RPO LH6 or LS4 Only)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may notice a light engine tick or rattle noise while driving the vehicle. This noise will be more apparent with AFM enabled (4 Cylinder Mode) and it may be mistaken for a noise in the transmission. This noise may be the result of normal timing chain slack.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Use a Tech 2 to enable and disable AFM while listening to the front cover area of the engine at a hot idle. If a light tick/rattle noise is heard that increases when AFM is enabled, normal timing chain slack is the root cause of this noise. Only temporary noise relief will be achieved by replacing the timing chain, crank gear, cam gear, and timing chain dampener. As a result, no repairs are suggested at this time. This is currently considered a noise characteristic of this engine.

They say its normal, I don't agree.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By disabling DOD with the diablosport is this the only thing that needs to be done to turn it off, and are there any potential future problems by doing this?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by speedshifter
Hey guys,

I've got the noise in mine too. Its been there for about 15k miles now. Really loud with the windows open and there is a car next to me on the RH side. GM knows about it. I'm suprised this is a 4 page thread without anybody finding this document:

They say its normal, I don't agree.
I agree...this is complete and typical bullshit on GM's part. Just like me consuming almost 2qts of synthetic oil between 4k-5k change intervals.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 qts holy hell....that's a lot of oil

What brand do you use??

Is this consistent or just during the summer??
Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

cant you take it to the dealer and have them check it out and see why?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Had my front cover off and my chain looked perfect@42K
Old 09-10-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
2 qts holy hell....that's a lot of oil

What brand do you use??

Is this consistent or just during the summer??
During the summer it's that bad...over the colder months it's a little over a qt. It's happened with all brands of synthetic...incl. M1, Penzoil Premium, and I think most recently Valvoline (?) but I'm not sure about that.

Originally Posted by Hawkins04
cant you take it to the dealer and have them check it out and see why?
No warranty, so no...the dealer is not the answer. There's no evidence of it leaking out, and nothing burning around the engine. I just make sure to check it often and top off when necessary.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow man sorry to hear that
Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Default Thank you!

I cant believe i stumbled upon this article, because i was going to end up in the cuckoo's nest. Ive had this same mystery "rattle/grind/vibration/whatever" for almost a year now. Had it to the dealership so many times i cant count trying different things to fix it. But as usual, it wouldnt be as noticeable that day or they "couldnt replicate noise"... Ive torn that car apart and was this close to taking my door and dashboard off this weekend. After reading what you guys said i switched my display readout to show the 8 or 4 cyl mode on my way home from work. And TA-DAH, its exactly perfectly timed as you guys said, immediately hitting 4 cyl it starts makiing noise and immediately hitting 8 it disappears. At least i finally have something to tell the Chevy dealer. Good timing too, cuz my certified used warranty ends in August, so i almost gave up. The only difference is i dont hear it with the windows open, mine is only noticeable inside the cabin on the passenger side. It does seem to be getting worse so im glad i found this thread. Soooo, who with this problem has found an effective fix from the dealer yet?
Thanks a ton guys!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by live2ride
Drive just over 25 on a side street with the windows down and ease off the gas until you see it go into 4cyl mode. You will hear it until you go back into 8cyl mode. You can ease on the gas or drop into 3rd which will cause the change back into 8cyl mode and the noise will go away..
EXACLY what my monte SS does. EXACTLY.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pgbSS
Did they say why GM designed it to start making the noise after 22k miles?? Perfectly quiet before that, then after 22k miles it started getting louder and stayed there. I wonder if they have a random number generator in their design software to make this start happening and mine was set at that mileage...
Yep. I had the SS brand new in 2006 on a lease and put about 25,000 miles on it. I didnt have this problem. This one i bought last August as a certified used with 65,000 miles and this one has the DOD problem. ********* better figure something out when i take it in cuz im not gonna take "no available fix" as an answer...
Old 05-06-2012, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Its the dod causing harmonic issues within the drivetrain.

The rattle will not cause damage, its just annoying.

My dod has been scraped and I no longer hear the noise

Quick Reply: Weird rattle when 8>4 cyl. switch...maybe tranny?