LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Need a new passenger side everything!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nachoss iam a body fender tech of 15 plus yrs, well if one of the doors were skinned the tech could have forgot to put panel bond on the frame on the skin, and most important on the i-beam that runs the lenght of the door, which is a huge cause of noise
the tech could have forgotten to tighten bolts inside the doors, or used the old clips from the trim panle i always use new clips, and ut alittle strip caulk around the holes so i dont have noise and a customer coming back bitchin
the wheels nothing you can do why?? becasue its a reconditioned wheel, so you have no choice but to live with that, but if the shop has a lifetime warranty take it back if your not fully satisfied
Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uuugghhh!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

I put the 20s back on yesterday and lined up the 4 wheels. They're fine. Some of the "edges" are sharper than the OEM wheels, but other than that, they look the same...no worries there.

I'm going to take my lunch and hit the shop tomorrow and let them know of my displeasure with the noise from the doors and the bumper. Everything else looks good.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Update: Still haven't gone to the body shop, but I compared the fitment of my bumper with that of my sister's 2007 Impala 2LT and they have identicle "ripples" at the attachment points. It's been so long since I have the original, factory installed bumper, so I don't know what's normal anymore.

Basically, as you walk down alongside the car, there are small sectons of the bumper at these points that reflect differently than the rest. I don't mind it, but until I see another that is perfectly smooth, I probably don't have a leg to stand on in that regards.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

My Impala SS is going to the shop today. Damn Midwestern storms. A nice sized tree branch decided to come down on my car. It caused some dents, dings and some nice sized scratches. It happened on the passenger side too.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Tellin you...Not a good coupla months for the W-body crew.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
Tellin you...Not a good coupla months for the W-body crew.
It really hasn't been pleasant.

I won't be getting my car back until about the First week of july.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

WOW. Is that b/c of how many claims in your area? Seems excessive for relatively minor work.

Anyone see the hail damage pics @ NAIOA or GPONA? Pretty damn nasty. I'll try to dig them up for you homers.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Found'em!

Originally Posted by ZSPOT
Well, I thought I would take the time to show you all the new mods I got today. This is what happens when you have a few of these flying at your car,...

I could see the storm coming on radar, but the wife had the car at her work. There was nothing to do except park it under a tree and hope for the best. As you can see, it didn't really help. :roll:

Enjoy, or cry with me.....

Was just browsing around GPONA and came across the following from Manhattan, KS...right where you are, right Z? At least where your packages come from... :wink:

Not too bad....Nothing the "paintless dent removal" and an autoglass place can't fix 8O :

http://www.gpona.com/forums/viewtopi...163&highlight=

Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

god damn!!!!, that sucks but the only thing i see is show me the money!!!!
hail yes!!!!! hail damage=BIG MONEY!!!!
send my way= mo` money mo` money
Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

LOL. I hear ya. Many new panels on that GP, if it wasn't totalled. It was a base GT, so the parts & labor might exceed that certain percentage of the vehicles value. Would be a nice car to buy salvaged, considering it's only cosmetic damage.

Back to my situation...I washed the car again last night (just in time for the overnight rain ) and noticed a few areas of concern. I hate to be THAT guy, but I'm going to be

1. They broke the end off the roof trim piece...the piece between the quarterpanel (above the doors) and the roof panel itself. They slid it back to make the 3/4" gap not as noticeable...but when I caught my wash mitt on the jagged end, is slid to the front of the car a bit...exposing part of the clip that holds the part in place. They also left many scratches, from a tool of some sort, near the front where (I'm guessing) they initially pried it off.

2. The chrome window seal strips are scratched in a couple places. Not gouged in any way, but they look "scuffed." IDK if they did it or not, but Ima point it out. IIRC, they unbolt from the inside and shouldn't need prying at all.

3. There are 2 small pits (or bubbles...can't tell) on the quarterpanel, about 1' apart, and another pit on the fender. Could be dust or something getting into the paint when they sprayed. Not sure how they'll fix that...any idea? I can't imagine they need to repaint the whole thing, but I won't accept a touch up that looks like a touchup. I also wouldn't mind letting it go until it begins to peel or get worse, but now that I see it, I can't stop.

4. The front bumper is totally loose. I was washing the bumper with light pressure and it was jiggling around. I pulled on it and it moves easily...something wasn't bolted or clipped properly on the reinstall. There is also a 1/2" gap under the P/S headlight now...and it was always a tight fit getting that headlight back in there (I R&R'd the headlights over 30x for my painting & HID projects...so I know what is and isn't normal). The upper push-clip holding the fender liner in is loose and misaligned and will not stay in properly...so I know the bumper isn't on right....b/c with it sagging towards the front, it would be pulling on that top clip.

5. The doors panels still need to be R&R'd. They rattle (lightly) when going over successive bumps in the road, and sound "funny" when closing them. Definitely different than before the accident.

6. Jagged edge: Along the quarterpanel/trunk lid seam/opening, they never sanded down the edge where they must have taped (?) the edge. When they pulled the tape, it left a jagged edge. They also left some white residue (primer?) on the back window seal that will not come off with regular car wash stuff.

7. Lastly, the rear bumper is already scuffed from certain members of the family pulling groceries out of the trunk w/o lifting. Not bad, but i noticed it immediately. Not a matter for the body shop, but I'd like to know where I can get some 3M clear protective sheeting that I can put on that "sill" area. I'd also like to apply some 3M on the new rocker & lower 1/2 of the doors, to keep it from pitting like the other side did. I also plan to install the molded splash guards as well, to minimize the roadrash.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

BE THAT GUY, it should be repaired as best as can be. If your not happy with it, take it back, untill you are happy. Some issues should be easy to remedy like, #3 small pits, prolly fish eyes, if in the clear the should be able to sand em out and buff it, loose front bumper is just unacceptable, either they forgot some hardware or the clips are worn or broken. The door rattling might be more of a pain, IIRC you said the skinned the front door, if they did, and didn't caulk around the center door reinforcement it might vibrate at higher speeds and bumps, or maybe they just dropped a bolt in it? The jagged edges in the seams, are from masking off when they painted, should be able to take some compound to it by hand and smooth it a bit. And the residue is probably buffing compound as well. Good luck, hope you get everything fixed to your expectations, not theres.

Last edited by 06WHITEMCSS; 06-13-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: I can't spell, so I used spell check!
Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

WOW. Is that b/c of how many claims in your area? Seems excessive for relatively minor work.

Anyone see the hail damage pics @ NAIOA or GPONA? Pretty damn nasty. I'll try to dig them up for you homers.
The reason being that they're booked. It is a VERY reputable body shop. I have taken my Cars there before and I have yet to have a complaint about the work. I figured I'd rather wait than take to a place that may do a shady job. The car is bieing kept inside anyway. I just read about your car and the results. I hope you get that straightened out.

This is why I am leaving my car at that shop.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Stopped by the body shop on my lunch today. "They'll take care of everything" next week...I just need to find the time to drop of the car and step into a loaner. I hate being w/o my car

06WHITEMCSS...they skinned the rear door and replaced the front in full. Both doors have rattles, but the front moreso than the rear. I agree that it's gonna be tough...just a noise that I know wasn't there before...especially when closing the doors. They're likely to report the problem as "could not replicate the sound" or something like that.

Like you said, everything seems easily corrected, but I just hope that they don't keep it for days on end to get these simple issues corrected.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the pitting as you call could be a pin hole in the bondo, and if it is it need to be fixed, a pin hole left untouched will let water in and will casue rust, and the bondo will seperate from the panle which in that case you see bubbles
but i dunno if it is a pin hole it could be a fish eye, could be dirt in the base coat i dunno i have to see pics
like i stated in a earlier post, if the tech does not put PANEL BOND, between the door frame and the door skin, and on the i-beam there will be nothing but noise problems, the front door sounds like there is something loose, again i can not tell im not there, so its hard for me
overspray, paint lines, all should be delt with before the car leaves, and its kinda up to the porter to tell us techs to fix a problem, or up to us techs to catch small issues before the car leaves, like i said again in an earlier post i sometimes replace trim panel clips, or put strip caulk around the holes to minimize sound like your having
front bumper well if you see the fender liner and the headlight is not right bitch about it bitch about everything you see, let them fix the problems, or drive it here and i can fix it if this is a state farm job we are service first for them so we can fix it for ya
Old 06-13-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks bdyman. I'll make sure to mention the use of panel bond with the door issues.

And I found another issue...there is overspray (clear) on the chrome on the lower grille. I'll keep you posted when that time comes.