LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

First problems! Power Steering...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First problems! Power Steering...

Let me start by saying that I haven't had my car for a year. It's an '06 MCSS that I bought in July of last year. The car had 12,xxx miles on it when I bought it and currently has 23,xxx. I always get my oil changed every 3,000 miles and do the routine maintence and check-ups. Only use Mobil1 and 93octane gas. I baby this car. Which is hard to do being a 21 year old kid. Well...

Me and the fiancee made a 150 mile treck to Indy for the 500 this past Friday morning. Trip went smooth the whole way down. No problems. I make it to Indy and everything is great. Parked in the Coke lot, (For those who don't know it's the campgrounds right outside the track). Drove around Friday afternoon, saturday afternoon and all was well. Sunday after the race we pack up and head home. I'm cruising, literally, at 70mph all the way. Half way between Indy and home is West Lafayette, IN (GO PURDUE!). I'm at a half tank of gas and decide to pull of the highway. As I'm making the turn onto the off ramp I hear a slight whine from the car and the steering is a bit tight. I think, "Hmm..that's odd." I continue 100 ft down the road and as I make the right turn into the BP station the steering is absolutely stiff and a VERY loud whine comes from the car. I park. Pop the hood. Twist the cap for the power steering fluid and *POOF* an instant shot of steam. The resevoir is BONE DRY. I run inside and buy some STP power steering fluid with Stop Leak and fill it up.

I start up the car. The whine is gone. Steering works again. So I fill up with BP 93, check under the car, all is good. Hop back in and continue on down the road for the last 80 miles of the trip. When I pull off the highway to my hometown. Same friggin' thing! Stop at a Speedway and buy some Pyroil (all they had. Says it's made by Valvoline) and top it up. Start the car and check underneath and it's leaking like a siv! Of course yesterday being sunday and today being Memorial Day I can't even call a dealer until tomorrow. Yay!

Old 05-26-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either the clams or the hose came off the pump. This is a normal issue with these cars.

Call Bill Estes and they will take care of you. If you need there number let me know.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Either the clams or the hose came off the pump. This is a normal issue with these cars.

Call Bill Estes and they will take care of you. If you need there number let me know.
I've heard good things about them (not to mention the radio ads) when we were in Indy. Only problem is that I'm back home in NW Indiana.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

I had the power steering hose blow in my ImpSS. Apparently there is a problem with them on these cars. You're still under warranty, take it to the dealer and let them fix it for free. They replaced the hose and put on some type of revised bracket a few months ago on my car.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. There is a TSB out there for our cars and this same issue.

Sorry, I thought you were still in Indy. Find a good dealer around you and they should beable to fix it for you in no time.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:59 AM

I have an appt. tomorrow at 9am at a GM dealer about 3 blocks behind my house. I'm going in and hopefully dropping off the car and walking across the field that seperates my house from the dealer. Thank God they're close.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make em clean that **** up too
Old 05-27-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Power steering hose - mine blew instantaneously.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same issue. The hose clamps got real loose and it leaked quite a bit. Jacked the front end up, got power steering fluid all over my face, tightened the clamps back up, and problems was fixed.