LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

rubbing/clearance issue rear wheelwell**PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubbing/clearance issue rear wheelwell**PICS**

Having some rubbing issues on the rear part of the plastic wheelwell liner in the rear but only on the passenger side. Its really only an issue with several passengers combined with bumps in the road. I took off the tire and could see where the tire is rubbing. The only solution I came up with is to cut off the lower portion of the plastic piece, but I'm concerned about kicking up a bunch of mud back on the muffler when it rains. What do you guys think? I also bought some KYB AGX's in hopes that a stiffer shock might help with the bumps. Below is a pic I snapped of the wheelwell liner. If you look to the left of the muffler thats where the rubbing is. Any recommendations??

Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would make sure theres not a bent lateral arm.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

And make sure your wheel is the same offset and width as the other three. I can't see why it's rubbing, other than an abnormality in the fender liner.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I should have mentioned that this car has been t-boned by a semi truck and the bulk of the damage occured in and around the rear passenger wheelwell. So ever since the repairs I noticed there's just not as much clearance there and it even rubbed slightly with the stock tires at stock ride height over big bumps.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did they reuse a bent up inner fender or is somethin pushing it?

Might be worth finding some place with one of those laser frame jigs if its not too expensive.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

They had the car on the frame jig and straightened the frame when doing the repairs. It looks like the plastic fender liner is kinda hanging down more than normal. I might try messing with it but I probably can't fix the problem without cutting or reforming that piece.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, that info about the accident helps... Sounds like something was reused that shouldn't have been...or something wasn't put back on right.

The other day, I noticed a rattling sound coming from my passenger-rear corner...an area that had been repaired after our accident. Haven't heard it since...but not looking forward to hearing that long-term.