LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Dyno pull on monday 2nd or 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Dyno pull on monday 2nd or 3rd gear (results now in)

What gear do you guys normally do a dyno pull at with these cars? 2nd or 3rd?

I'm going on Monday to do a few pulls and see where I'm at before I try a few other power adders.

Any guesses? Mods in signature.

Last edited by supercatxr7; 08-11-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Third gear. You want to have the transmission in a 1:1 gear ratio.

Guesses? How about 268 whp peak, maybe into the 270's, you ought to see a substantial improvement in the upper RPM range though, so if you have a stock dyno sheet, it might be interesting to look at the difference.

I think there's been a few people who have posted up dyno runs with similar mods.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I never tried this on my car but on th eold 4T60-Es if you unplugged the trans conncetor you would default to 3rd gear. Since this line pressure on this transmision is controlled electronially I dont know what th epressure would be, I'd like to thin k that it would be either max or mid. But furthermore the computer might protest in its dissconection...
Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

depends on how much money you want to spend supercatxr7, mods from there out will require more money and and more time depending if you mod it yourself, if you want alot more power i would for the cnc 2.5 heads 5.3L from texas speed or the new weiand intake. i've seen where it should be out by the 15th. but like it said its more money
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

still waiting to see what the actual gains are with those heads. No dyno info from the one who has them on his car yet.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neilownz
theres one place that has a dyno in town but i havent looked into how much they charge and stuff.
Give them a call! I'm guessing maybe $75 to $100 for three pulls.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

mine was 230.97hp 3rd gear pull with stock tune K&N CAI + magnaflow mufflers(was like 105 degrees that day :<)

Later on this year once the temp drops down into the 80's(might be November for that here in Texas) I'll run a dyno again on the car with the new upgrades. I honestly have no idea of the outcome since then it's been
SLP Rocker-Arm Package 1.85(rockers,springs,keepers,retainers)
3" catback with res delete still have the magnaflow muffles with 3"tips
ceramic coated headers&crossover pipe
flipped motor mount(will prob have ZZP by then)
K&N CAI(looking at a possible custom fender well intake for this atm)
head atm just have factory casting ground out and polished debating on attempting a port match myself just kinda tossing that idea around in my head while I wait on parts
still have to tune the car, I have the HPtuners software now just waiting to get the car back up and running.
also might have a custom 3" DP made with a electric cutout before the cat by then
Old 08-09-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mixerda
mine was 230.97hp 3rd gear pull with stock tune K&N CAI + magnaflow mufflers(was like 105 degrees that day :<)
Damn, thats a little on the low side for these cars!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Damn, thats a little on the low side for these cars!
If the run was done outside in that heat I'd guess it would not be too bad. On all my stuff when running at 95+ during the day and then driving with temps around 65-70 at night, makes me feel like I'm driving a completly different car.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:43 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mixerda

Later on this year once the temp drops down into the 80's(might be November for that here in Texas) I'll run a dyno again on the car with the new upgrades. I honestly have no idea of the outcome since then it's been
SLP Rocker-Arm Package 1.85(rockers,springs,keepers,retainers)
3" catback with res delete still have the magnaflow muffles with 3"tips
ceramic coated headers&crossover pipe
flipped motor mount(will prob have ZZP by then)
K&N CAI(looking at a possible custom fender well intake for this atm)
head atm just have factory casting ground out and polished debating on attempting a port match myself just kinda tossing that idea around in my head while I wait on parts
still have to tune the car, I have the HPtuners software now just waiting to get the car back up and running.
also might have a custom 3" DP made with a electric cutout before the cat by then
Mine did 239hp/256trq BONE stock.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And here are the results:

I was hoping to come closer to 275 - 280 HP, but no go. Now I'm off to pull off the intake and throttle body and send them out for porting.

Last edited by supercatxr7; 08-11-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Did two dyno pulls at the carcraft show the first was with a k&n Cone with my aluminum airbox and i had removed the exhaust and Maf screen and bolted up a thrush turbo the first dyno pull chart looked really rough i think it was because of false knock because of the muffler contacting the tunnel. the second run was bone stock because i put the stock exhaust on and i had melted my intake from autocross the previous day its a pretty substantial difference check it out
Attached Thumbnails Dyno pull on monday 2nd or 3rd gear-dyno-1-2-.jpg   Dyno pull on monday 2nd or 3rd gear-dyno-2-2-.jpg  
Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pauls325
I Did two dyno pulls at the carcraft show the first was with a k&n Cone with my aluminum airbox and i had removed the exhaust and Maf screen and bolted up a thrush turbo the first dyno pull chart looked really rough i think it was because of false knock because of the muffler contacting the tunnel. the second run was bone stock because i put the stock exhaust on and i had melted my intake from autocross the previous day its a pretty substantial difference check it out
So if i'm reading this correctly you gained horsepower by modifying your car "back" to stock ? If that is true it coinsides with what the LS1 people are saying about K&N! Everyones dyno sheet is very inconsistent with the next dyno sheet.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well maybe i think the power loss was because the muffler was contacting the body of the car and the knock sensor was retarding the timing i did not get a chance to see with the k and n intake and stock exhaust

Quick Reply: Dyno pull on monday 2nd or 3rd gear