LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Ethanol 08 Impala Ss

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ethanol 08 Impala Ss

Is anyone having trouble finding fuel without too much ethanol? The problem is my check engine light came on with only 3000 miles on the car? Took it to the dealer and they said the fuel had 24% ethanol in the fuel! 15% is the max.I ran the remaining fuel out and tryed 4 differant gas stations and keep having the same result! The check engine light wont go off !!! Taking it back in Monday!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Launching!

You could try another dealer to make sure thats the problem. Im not sure how the dealer would be able to tell you how much ethanol was in the fuel, the SS doesnt have the sensor in it like the E85 cars do. Try taking it to autozone to see what code it has for sure.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Some pumps have warnings around here...stating that the fuel might contain as much as 10%. Nothing for me to worry about.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Nothing on the pumps around the Detroit area that states the percentage of ethanol. As for the sensor the tech told me that the car does detect the percentage of ethanol. perhaps I'll take it to another dealer and see what they say and while I'm there get the hot/cold system recall taken care of ! just got that in the mail the other day!!! hope it was'nt a mistake buying this car. Getting nervous bout having problems already with such few miles on the vechile!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the pumps here in PA and the ones I go to in Delaware usually have the standard up to 10% warning on them which is a safe amount. If the gas REALLY has that much ethanol that gas station shouldn't be selling it especially without a disclaimer.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Teching In

Yea, gonna check into how much ethanol the stations are supposed to be putting in with the gas, probally why the price is coming down so much.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Stick with better brand names of gas and you will not have this problem.

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-16-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Teching In

91+ bp, speedway, citco, even shell v-power and still havin problems, we'll see what the dealer says this time when I take it back in ?

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-16-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

You really need to learn how to use the . or period key.

Speedway is not a major brand. Only BP, Shell, Sunoco and Marathon are, Dumb ****.!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Neil, yeah pretty much everywhere everyone buys gas from the same regional supplier. The only difference is the additives that get put in the gas, like the Shell V-Power additive which I've heard a lot of people claim gives them KR.

The other big difference is that a lot of the name brand stations are franchises, and they get monitored. A regional manager or something comes by and gets up on the station to make sure it is doing everything properly, which makes reduces the odds of some shady station owner putting extra ethanol in the gas or otherwise diluting it.

Plus the BP 5% off credit card is cool.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotta love the BP rewards card, All I use. I usually get a $25 gas card every month.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

There's a special tool that GM has to determine the alcohol content in fuel. All you do is take a sample (fuel rail, tank, whatever), and put it in this machine and it gives you the % of alcohol.

Originally Posted by Mike's 01WS6
You could try another dealer to make sure thats the problem. Im not sure how the dealer would be able to tell you how much ethanol was in the fuel, the SS doesnt have the sensor in it like the E85 cars do. Try taking it to autozone to see what code it has for sure.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

The other thing to consider is the low volume stations selling gas with ethanol. If there are no circulating devices in the tanks the fuel can separate giving the unlucky customer a higher percentage of alcohol.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

93 octane

as much as 10% ethanol.... like BuffaloSS said.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is a sensor for ethonal content in the fuel system itself. this is how some cars, or ecm's rather to tell it ti switch octane maps to compensate for it.

the tech2 can pull this from the ecm.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Area, I thought GM did a way with the sensor in 06?
Old 09-14-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

all the gas stations in my area state that there can be up to 10% ethanol in it. Ever since they've been doing this, I've seen a significant drop off in my MPG...anyone else notice the same thing?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
zjt
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
all the gas stations in my area state that there can be up to 10% ethanol in it. Ever since they've been doing this, I've seen a significant drop off in my MPG...anyone else notice the same thing?
Ethanol contains 66% of the energy density of gasoline, that would affect this, but not terribly. Maybe a lead foot has something to do with it
Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hexxLS4
Just for the last couple of decades that we have been stuck with that garbage in the Chicago area. Used to stop at the first station without it on my way out of State and on the way back in. Now they have it there as well. Lobbyist Masters pay to have it forced on us. They pay money to the politicians. That money is used to elect politicians. Ethanol producers make more money then the extra they pay the politicians. Essentially we pay twice. Once at the pump with lower mileage, once for the subsidies that make it cheaper to produce ethanol. Making ethanol takes more oil energy than it produces and it is a dirtier process than using petroleum alone, not even a 'green argument' to offset it. So...the politicians get a sweet deal. We get less fuel economy. We fill up more. They take more in taxes (and then siphon it off into the general fund to buy their pet projects instead of the road improvements that it is supposed to go for), they get free (to them) money from lobbyist to get re-elected. The ethonal produces get a law that says we have to use their product, subsidies from taxes that lower their cost of producing it (which means it goes right to their bottom line, pure profit, minus the cash sent back to the politicians, so no real cost to them, quite the opposite)

Not a conflict of interest or anything, I am sure the Will of the People is to pay more so a group of private companies can profit from it. Otherwise, why would someone elected in a democratic republic allow it?

end of rant.

Yes, over the years, to varying degrees mostly based on the car I had at the time, I have lost between 6-8% fuel economy vs the numbers I got with gasoline over gasahol.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian396
Area, I thought GM did a way with the sensor in 06?
newp. they just went to a more half assed way of timing control. it knocks too much, it drops maps. you stick 87 octane in it, it drops maps.

Quick Reply: Ethanol 08 Impala Ss