LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anyone upgrade the torque converter yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...Heat rises and those pipes are shielded. Plus GM has run front drive like that since 1980....I don't see any flaw.... I mean you could run the pipe under the oil pan....like a Ford... That might make the engine oil hot...

Any shift chracteristic of the tranmission is not due to overheating but due to factory desired control... Furthermore Dexron3 and up takes a long while to burn even under heavy use. Although it is good practice to change the fluid every 30K but with the Dexron 6...you might be able to push it out a bit longer. I think GM says 100K. I'd like to at least change the filter before then....May as well change the oil too.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not have a tune. It is hard to find anything for an 05 for some reason. I don't own a laptop and to me HP Tuners is quite expensive. It is just strange to see sooo many problems with the trans.'s in these V-8's. Maybe torque load comes on too fast in them? Who knows? I have owned 2 other Grand Prix's with the 4T65-E transmissions and never had a problem. Maybe a 4T80-E would have been a better choice with the V-8's?... It is too bad because I baby my cars...

-Mike
Old 09-27-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know what to say, sometimes **** just fails for a number of reasons. As far as I know the only thing these gear boxes hate the most are one wheel burn outs( but that goes with any differential), worn pump drive shafts, and broken accumulator springs. Otherwise the the rest of it stays together. 4T80E's....Honestly I dont hear much about their failures, but they do sop up some power.That thing has like 3 pumps, heavy and large in size. I'm pretty sure we can't fit that even if we wanted it.

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 09-27-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

The stock converter is fine. I'd change the gears first. Also lock the converter at part throttle and at WOT with tuning.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade the torque converter yet?