Paypal fiasco - Rules and Information when using PayPal

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
The real kicker is that ebay is forcing you to use paypal by not allowing you to accept money orders or use some other online pay services
What?? they used to.

I honestly wouldn't buy stuff on ebay without paypal, with paypal you have a chance of getting money back if they try to screw you but with a MO you're screwed for sure.

Don't know what else I'd use besides paypal to pay for online transactions between people. A MO like I mentioned is just asking to get ripped off.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had a problem with Paypal. A couple years ago, I had a $4K Maggie purchase go bad and was able to get my funds back thru Paypal claim process. Like others have said, I fund my purchases thru credit card for extra security, though it has never come to that.

One thing I try to do that would have prevented the OP fiasco is that when I agree to buy item, I ask seller to send a "request for payment" using my e-mail address and a reference to the item being purchased. This way, if a mistake is made in the way of a "typo" or wrong e-mail address, the request for payment is sent to the wrong address and obviously won't be paid by an individual who is not me, the buyer.

I've found Paypal to be a good service, but you've gotta be smart about how you do it. I see these ads where seller says "first to send X dollars to this address gets it" and think these guys gotta be crazy sending money blind like that. What if you're second to send X dollars, how you gonna get your money back?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

I paid through my Paypal balance so it was just gone. Unless you paid with a credit card, not debit card, only credit card you are screwed and filing a claim is a waste of time.

If you paid with a credit card, you need to do a chargeback asap.

Paypal doesn't give two ***** about you, just the fee they get for the transfer.

Sad but true........ Cheats

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-10-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I too have had an instance with paypal that "I" myself typed in the wrong email address for the other guy... Fotunately for me, i caught it the next day and cancelled the transaction.. "No harm,no Foul"... I hate to hear you situation Cajun.. You sound like a man of Integrity.. Which is "rare" these days.. The J.A that kept your funds is a prime example of that... Lesson learned!
Old 03-07-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Sticky worthy.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

what i usually do is pay all my stuff through paypal with my credit card instead of my bank account. i figure that if something shady happens i can always call my card company and dispute the charge to paypal with them directly instead of waiting around for paypal to try and resolve something.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cajun: Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't realize there is no recourse for a "slip of the finger" like there is in any other business deal on earth.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Cajun, Payal is wrong in not helping you recover your money, but the guy sent you your parts so he is the one getting screwed right now. Lets help him get his money. You know the e-mail address of the person that got the money. I know he can just change his e-mail but what a pain in the a$$ that is. At least you have done something.

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-10-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
12 Second Club

if you receive a payment the best thing to do is transfer it to your bank account as soon as you get it...with no find in your paypal account no one can take anything back from you
Old 03-10-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with Delbert and Gearhed. sticky worthy for sure. i havent used paypal in a few years but im damn happy to read this before i use em to buy some headers in the near future.

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-10-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a LOT of miss information in this thread about PayPal and thats the reason I started a thread awhile ago another member posted up. I did send Cajun a pm to see what I can do to help him out as his situation doesn't sound right by whats been described here. Also for everyone thinking you are covered by using PayPal, you are incorrect. The ONLY time you have buyer protection and guaranteed the full amount is for eBay purchases. Anything outside of eBay is simply a best effort basis for recovery of funds.

There are a lot of people posting and I dont have the time to catch up with all of you, however since this is a sticky I will try and stay active to answer questions some of you may have. If you need assistance with something, I would recommend sending me a pm as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by miller456
There is a LOT of miss information in this thread about PayPal and thats the reason I started a thread awhile ago another member posted up. I did send Cajun a pm to see what I can do to help him out as his situation doesn't sound right by whats been described here. Also for everyone thinking you are covered by using PayPal, you are incorrect. The ONLY time you have buyer protection and guaranteed the full amount is for eBay purchases. Anything outside of eBay is simply a best effort basis for recovery of funds.

There are a lot of people posting and I dont have the time to catch up with all of you, however since this is a sticky I will try and stay active to answer questions some of you may have. If you need assistance with something, I would recommend sending me a pm as well.
do you work for paypal?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I do
Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

I read this last night after sending just shy of $1,000 to several members on here through Paypal. I appreciate the heads up and all, but it had my stomach turning until this morning when all members had responded to me saying they had rec'd payment.

Paypal like anything else is a nice tool to have but it is going to have flaws and since it is dealing with money any flaw is a major one in the eyes of the consumer.

Cajun I hope everything works it's way out it sounds like Miller is at least going to put forth effort to help you And the seller you bought from is one stand up guy in my opinion, those guys are hard to find these days!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Contact your credit card company if the funds are taken from a card,they can cansel the transaction because of the error,the sooner the better and write the full story with proofs of emails and such

The reciver of the payment must be able to proof that he has sent the item from him,if he can not provide a tracking number you should get your money back in most cases
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ari G
Contact your credit card company if the funds are taken from a card,they can cansel the transaction because of the error,the sooner the better and write the full story with proofs of emails and such

The reciver of the payment must be able to proof that he has sent the item from him,if he can not provide a tracking number you should get your money back in most cases
If you call your credit card company, the situation is no longer dealing with PayPal and the refund is ultimately up to your credit card company. PayPal can not stop the chargeback from reversing if the card company decides to do so. If and when I hear back from cajun, I will take a look at what I can do for him.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chevyz2801
I got screwed on a hood i bought on here on 5-20-08 never got hood or money back and cant get a hold of the person anymore his ls1tech is casperls7 his name is vincent
Sorry for your situtation, there is no buyer protection for items purchased from this site or any site other than eBay. If you pay for an item through PayPal thats not through eBay, you should use a credit card so you can have the ability to file a chargeback.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I will be using from now on.

Amazon Payments now - no fees for personal use, works just as well if not better.

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdu...onalOverview/o
Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

If you sent a payment to an email address that doesn't exist or there isn't a paypal account for the payment will just sit there until somebody creates the account with that email address to accept it.. So basically if the address didn't exist you could cancel the payment yourself because nobody accepted it. So you sent it to a valid email address somebody got the money.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robul
If you sent a payment to an email address that doesn't exist or there isn't a paypal account for the payment will just sit there until somebody creates the account with that email address to accept it.. So basically if the address didn't exist you could cancel the payment yourself because nobody accepted it. So you sent it to a valid email address somebody got the money.
Thats correct, the payment was sent to an old email address to an old account that is still open. I'm working with cajun to help him out with the problem.

Quick Reply: Paypal fiasco - Rules and Information when using PayPal