Paypal fiasco - Rules and Information when using PayPal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, this is outside the PayPal/eBay discussion since they cover transactions differently.

I'll second the idea mentioned earlier to ALWAYS use a credit card NOT a debit card since the laws are different that protect these transactions when you pay for online merchandise. You're not protected in the same way if you use a debit card even if it has the Visa or MC logo on it. This doesn't matter if you're using PayPal or not. I use a CC that I don't use for anything else so it's easy to track transactions on the card and I always make sure I have the merchandise before I pay the bill - just call the CC company and let them know you're disputing part of the bill before you send in your payment.

And make people sign for everything you send to them.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of scumbags out there that will find every way to hose you they can think of so protect yourself as best you can.

Good luck to the OP - hope you eventually get proper resolution.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a fiasco happen with Paypal myself. I was trying to purchase a part from a member here. The member gave me his email address and I promptly paid him or so I thought. Turns out that he gave me the wrong email address by accident. So I canceled that payment and sent funds to the correct Paypal address. A little later in the day I get word from the seller saying that he didn't get his money. I'm like wait wut? So I canceled the second payment I sent to the seller and sent payment AGAIN and notify the seller that payment has been sent again. I get ANOTHER message from the seller saying that he still hadn't received a payment from me. By this time I'm getting really frustrated because I'm not established here (low post count), I need just a few parts to finish my build, and the more I try to pay the seller the more money it's costing me.
Eventually I got all of my money back, but man what an ordeal. I do not fault the seller in this at all. Just the way the ball bounced this time.
Sellers please try to make sure you've got the right email address and a Paypal account that is set up to receive money. It will help some buyers out in the long run.

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-11-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by littlemissGTO
Just had a fiasco happen with Paypal myself. I was trying to purchase a part from a member here. The member gave me his email address and I promptly paid him or so I thought. Turns out that he gave me the wrong email address by accident. So I canceled that payment and sent funds to the correct Paypal address. A little later in the day I get word from the seller saying that he didn't get his money. I'm like wait wut? So I canceled the second payment I sent to the seller and sent payment AGAIN and notify the seller that payment has been sent again. I get ANOTHER message from the seller saying that he still hadn't received a payment from me. By this time I'm getting really frustrated because I'm not established here (low post count), I need just a few parts to finish my build, and the more I try to pay the seller the more money it's costing me.
Eventually I got all of my money back, but man what an ordeal. I do not fault the seller in this at all. Just the way the ball bounced this time.
Sellers please try to make sure you've got the right email address and a Paypal account that is set up to receive money. It will help some buyers out in the long run.
Before you complete the payment, it will tell you if the account is open and if the recipient is verified or not. That is a good indicator before sending multiple payments, if the account was not showing open and verified you could email the seller and explain that before sending the payment, paypal is saying this email address is not associated with an open or verified account. This would've lowered the frustration level and multiple payment attempts.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by miller456
Before you complete the payment, it will tell you if the account is open and if the recipient is verified or not. That is a good indicator before sending multiple payments, if the account was not showing open and verified you could email the seller and explain that before sending the payment, paypal is saying this email address is not associated with an open or verified account. This would've lowered the frustration level and multiple payment attempts.
The seller had used that particular email address before to pay people. The only thing I saw that made me wonder what was going on was that the payment would show up as unclaimed.
Lesson learned. Before I send payment I'll ask the seller to double check their email address before I send payment so that everything goes smoothly.

Last edited by GEARHED; 03-11-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Default paypal

thanks for all the info on paypal....I will not be doing any large purchases
with them in the future....brutal.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

If you call your credit card company, the situation is no longer dealing with PayPal and the refund is ultimately up to your credit card company. PayPal can not stop the chargeback from reversing if the card company decides to do so. If and when I hear back from cajun, I will take a look at what I can do for him.
That is not correctly true because the CCC can not revise it just as they see it,they must go thru a process with paypal and the 2 partys involved
Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ari G
That is not correctly true because the CCC can not revise it just as they see it,they must go thru a process with paypal and the 2 partys involved
Incorrect, the CCC does contact PP to state they are opening an investigation and reversing the funds. PayPal opens a case for the credit card company and puts a hold on the funds. PayPal does try and communicate with the credit card company in resolving the case, however the ultimate decision of the funds being returned IS up to the CCC. If they decide to reverse the funds then PayPal has no ability to stop the reversal from happening. PayPal will then look at seller protection eligibility and if the seller qualified to be covered for the transaction or not. I have dealt with many cases and seen that the buyer file a non receipt charge back and we provided the CCC tracking showing delivery to the buyer's address and the CCC still reversed the payment, so we had to cover the seller for following seller protection.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

OK, so credit card companies - now massively lowering credit limits to below the current balance, causing over the limit fees and maximum APR penalties WITHOUT NOTICE (legal), sending little UNMARKED notices in the mail that next month your APR on all balances will be 29.9% unless you close the account in 30 days(negative impact on your credit score), and other great services to the common man - we should trust them over PayPal for a refund? LOL!!

It's all a crap shoot.
I just look at the recipients's info during the transfer - if they are verified, have at least 25 next to the member name and good feedback where the item was listed - I'll click send money and hope for the best.

miller456 - please tell us how or what our best purchase advise is.
Using a seperate bank account set up just for PayPal backed with a minimal credit card?

With the crashing economy, internet transations will be less secure as well.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

PAYPAL has fracked more people than the us gov't. I now use Google Checkout for dealing online, but as you all know, ebay will not except it.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chief455
OK, so credit card companies - now massively lowering credit limits to below the current balance, causing over the limit fees and maximum APR penalties WITHOUT NOTICE (legal), sending little UNMARKED notices in the mail that next month your APR on all balances will be 29.9% unless you close the account in 30 days(negative impact on your credit score), and other great services to the common man - we should trust them over PayPal for a refund? LOL!!
I'm not a fan of the current credit card companies especially since their interest rates change whenever they like. I had one jump 4% this month (look at any other interest rate and this is crazy) and my credit score is in the "excellent" range. I do keep tabs on these things as should everyone.

Now to the point... the credit card companies are regulated by the government and are required to provide certain protections which they have to explain in their "terms and conditions" notices. They still provide a level of service protection for all transactions that is usually better than any online payment service that has their own rules. I've never had an issue with a CCC refunding my money on a disputed claim. Pick up a low dollar CC and use it to pay all online transactions and you should be covered. If someone gets and uses the card number, then they can't rack up many charges since it's not a high dollar card.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Unfortunately there is no 100% safe way to buy stuff over the internet. Even if you use a credit card and get screwed the cc company can deny your dispute. If the law hasn't changed recently they can turn down a dispute if the purchase was less than $50 or made out of state or outside 100 miles from the purchaser's address. Credit Card companies always voluntarily waive those requirements because they want to keep you as a customer but with the way they've been acting lately who knows how long that will last.

I have always used a credit card though paypal and will continue to. I've been screwed a few times and have always got my money back through the credit card and never paypal. Whenever I buy something over the internet I know there is a chance I might lose that money but it's the risk you take. The only safe alternative is to only buy locally in person.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Paypal actually ruled in my favor regarding bogus charges on transactions that they took and retuned the charges. And in 5 years I have never had a negative exprience - knock on wood.
I have recently called my credit card to dispute a $200 charge. "oh, that's terrible" the voice from India said..."we'll mail you a dispute form to fill out and mail back to us"
I got the form 5 days later, filled it in with a one page document/timeline of why the charge should be refunded, sent it back and 3 weeks later still no word. I have sent a question online with an automated "we are very busy and will get back to your inquiry soon" response.
So how is reversing a credit card charge so easy?
Someone please give an example so I understand this option....
Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE: I have to tell you all that our fellow member Miller456, who works at paypal, has helped me immesureably. He has personally examined and expidited two of my claims including the one that I originally posted about in this thread. If you guys have ANY paypal issues I highly recommend PM him about it. If something can be done he will do it. It is really nice to know we have someone that truly cares about doing the right thing for us when it comes to paypal issues. I have regained faith that maybe ther are some competent people who care at paypal. Thanks Ryan!

Cajun
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

^^^^
nice!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, I wish I would have known we had a paypal employee on here a few months ago. It all worke dout in the end for me but it took several phone calls and emails to paypal. Along with the charge backs they shut my ebay account down after the paypal thing was corrected. It took me almost two months to get my ebay account back in order. the funny thing about this is the person that did the chargebacks it all fell back on him and his ebay account is still active and I know for a fact that he did not take care of it.

I will tell you this, ebay and paypal have gone south in the last year. The fees that are charged are crazy and sometimes you end up losing money if you didn't realize all the fees they charge. Since these fees have been in place I have noticed there are less sellers and products on ebay. There are also alot of knockoff stuff being passed off to people not knowing. I have a hard time using paypal or ebay anymore. You are better off buying from someone you can trust like a sponsor on here or being able to see the product in person and take it with you when you pay. Craigslist has seen a jump in usage with all the issues and lack of product on ebay lately. I also do not agree with the new feedback rules.

I can say that I have not used there services since and highly doubt I will ever in the future. Oh and make sure you correctly select purchased product instead of services received. That will f you every time.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem cajun, and thanks for the kind words. I'm still working on compiling some PayPal info for everyone since there are a lot of questions, hopefully I can get many of them answered. If people have "questions" feel free to ask, but do NOT make this a complaint fest. If you have nothing constructive to say other than to complain about an issue in the past, then dont post here.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

i have had many good experiences on paypal.And one bad one The guy sold me a ss silverado wheel on ebay i paid him via paypal i waited 2 1/2 weeks with no response from him. would not respond by email got his phone# from ebay called him said he swamped but would get it out.waited another week nothing.now he wont answer his phone.I started a claim with paypal.said he never shipped the wheel.2 days later i get a response with a tracking# on the wheel from paypal.I received the wheel the lip is completely broken and split no way it would even hold air.I try and call him wouldnt call me back.Go to file another claim with paypal said you can only file one claim and it was resolved.I got screwed and i am sure that is exactly how this crook wanted it to work.So beware of this tactic
Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by new ls1 dude
i have had many good experiences on paypal.And one bad one The guy sold me a ss silverado wheel on ebay i paid him via paypal i waited 2 1/2 weeks with no response from him. would not respond by email got his phone# from ebay called him said he swamped but would get it out.waited another week nothing.now he wont answer his phone.I started a claim with paypal.said he never shipped the wheel.2 days later i get a response with a tracking# on the wheel from paypal.I received the wheel the lip is completely broken and split no way it would even hold air.I try and call him wouldnt call me back.Go to file another claim with paypal said you can only file one claim and it was resolved.I got screwed and i am sure that is exactly how this crook wanted it to work.So beware of this tactic
If this is a recent situation you have had, then that is completely incorrect information. The agent you talk to on the phone must change the claim from non receipt to not as described for you. If its a recent transaction you need to call back and tell the agent to refile the claim to not as described for you.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

If this is a recent situation you have had, then that is completely incorrect information. The agent you talk to on the phone must change the claim from non receipt to not as described for you. If its a recent transaction you need to call back and tell the agent to refile the claim to not as described for you.
Well Ryan, we have GOT to roll together sometime. hahaha You definately have nuts big enough to come in a dumptruck to take all the fire you do for paypal in these threads. Don't be mad. I mean that in a good way. Anyone like that is worthy to terrorize Mustangs and kill bottles of Hennessy with. LOL
Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 108dragon
Well Ryan, we have GOT to roll together sometime. hahaha You definately have nuts big enough to come in a dumptruck to take all the fire you do for paypal in these threads. Don't be mad. I mean that in a good way. Anyone like that is worthy to terrorize Mustangs and kill bottles of Hennessy with. LOL
I do what I can for people man and that all I can do. However its kinda funny you post that cuz im actually in Colorado right now. Going home in the morning, few of us came up to the Denver area and went snow boarding up at Loveland ski resort. Never know though if we come around again or if for some ungodly reason you head my way, hit me up man

Quick Reply: Paypal fiasco - Rules and Information when using PayPal