Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sent pm
Old 02-21-2005, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

can u get a pic of the red installed? im definitely interested if its not too hard
Old 02-21-2005, 06:42 PM

I installed the red LED's last night but there not bright enough so I have to order new LED's, I have though made a blue/red LED kit what will let the red and blue light up. The pic below shows the light but you can see all the red, it just wont show in the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Blue Gauges Anyone?-red-blue-leds.jpg  
Old 02-22-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or does it look like certain parts of the cluster are more dim than other parts? I am extremely interested in a kit that will show both the blue and red but I don't like the idea of it looking like I did it myself. I want it to look stock. I can see the blue and red kind of running together on the tach and that doesn't bother me too much but the dim parts of the cluster does. Does it only appear that way in the pics?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

I wonder if the parts that look faded out in that pic are actually red that just isn't showing in the pic?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:26 AM

You can tel in 2 spots but just barely, the pic doesnt show anything good. You can also se the actual red in every part of the gauge and the bottom is just as bright as the top but the picture can't show it..
Old 02-23-2005, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rufretic
Gregg 00SS, The blue LEDs match cobalt gauges almost exactly. I bought a set online, I don't remember what site but this is a better deal. I paid a little more for mine. It brings everything together very nicely.

For the trans am guys, don't waist your time with the stock gauge overlay, it is not easy to get perfect. I sanded off the red and it worked but I was not happy with it. Just buy the camaro overlay. It's an exact fit and not very expensive. I think the only thing I had to do to get it to work is poke a small hole for a tab. The bezel will fit over the camaro gauges but it covers the little gauge symbols for temp, oil, battery and gas. If you can't figure out which is which without the symbols then don't use the bezel.

Heres a pic.
DAMN the interior is sick, that's what I want for mine. What'd you use for the floor lighting?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I saw this and just thought i would post. I have a LT1 TA dash in my 95Z. After driving it for a while it drove me insane that the cluster lights up more of an orangish red then a nice blood red. I went to www.superbrightleds.com and ordered 6 narrow pattern, 6 wide pattern and 2, 4 bulb 194 red LED's. I then tested all of them. 6 narrow, then 6 wide pattern then 2 4 bulb ones in the center gauges and wide pattern on the little gauges. The best combo was just all wide pattern single bulb 194 LED's. I think they are about $1.50 a piece and then you have to go to autozone and buy the correct sockets for the dash to hold the lights they are about $2 a piece also. My car looks great has a nice blood red tint to it and also its cheap and something i can easily buy and replace. Just a suggestion. Also if i you want to do all the little bulbs in your car like the door panel lights and AC controls they require #74 bulbs that can be had off that same site.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What is involved with actually replacing the lights. Do I just have to pull the cluster out, and they are on the back, or do I have to remove the face as well?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, you access the lights from the rear of the cluster. Here is a write up I did when I installed my currently installed bulbs and my white face overlays. I just recieved my blue bulbs today, so might go yank the cluster out real quick and get em installed. Can't wait to see what they look like in person.

bulb install
Old 02-24-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if you remove needles, how do you plan on getting the needles recalibrated to the right settings again?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bulbs are installed, so here is a little review. First off, gotta say shipping was real quick, and they were packed well. I got them installed easily enough. My only concern with the bulbs themselves, is they may be prone to falling out of the sockets in the cluster. As you can see from the picture below, the only thing that is holding the LED in place, is the resistance of the 2 metal connectors in the socket. In fact, one of mine may have popped off on the way home tonight, as it seems the left side of speedometer has dimmed a bit.

The color is a big improvement over the blue I did have. The color is VERY close to that of my Cobalt gauges. Other than a few tiny spots here and there, the color is evenly distibuted over the entire cluster. As has been mentioned, anything red is unviewable at night. So the red line for your tach, left half of your voltmeter, and the line for empty fuel is null and void. I found it a little hard to quickly ascertain my current speed with these bulbs installed. The numbers are illuminated, but the speedo needle is not brightly illuminated all the way through. So it took a little bit of concentration to see what speed I was going. Also, seeing these are LEDs, they are either on or off. Dimmer will no longer do anything for your dash lighting.

This is a normal bulb for the cluster

This is what the bulbs plug into

Few pics of the blue LED bulbs

LEDs installed

Last edited by Gregg 00SS; 02-25-2005 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:49 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
But if you remove needles, how do you plan on getting the needles recalibrated to the right settings again?
Put a little piece of tape on the face, with the top edge lined up with each needle, before you remove them?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
Bulbs are installed, so here is a little review. First off, gotta say shipping was real quick, and they were packed well. I got them installed easily enough. My only concern with the bulbs themselves, is they may be prone to falling out of the sockets in the cluster. As you can see from the picture below, the only thing that is holding the LED in place, is the resistance of the 2 metal connectors in the socket. In fact, one of mine may have popped off on the way home tonight, as it seems the left side of speedometer has dimmed a bit.

The color is a big improvement over the blue I did have. The color is VERY close to that of my Cobalt gauges. Other than a few tiny spots here and there, the color is evenly distibuted over the entire cluster. As has been mentioned, anything red is unviewable at night. So the red line for your tach, left half of your voltmeter, and the line for empty fuel is null and void. I found it a little hard to quickly ascertain my current speed with these bulbs installed. The numbers are illuminated, but the speedo needle is not brightly illuminated all the way through. So it took a little bit of concentration to see what speed I was going. Also, seeing these are LEDs, they are either on or off. Dimmer will no longer do anything for your dash lighting.

This is a normal bulb for the cluster

This is what the bulbs plug into

Few pics of the blue LED bulbs

LEDs installed

Why not go to the website i posted and just buy some 194 bulb LED's. They plug right into those sockets you have and will stay in.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Because I already spent $30 on these, haha
Old 02-25-2005, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Why not go to the website i posted and just buy some 194 bulb LED's. They plug right into those sockets you have and will stay in.
I thought you just said in your previous post to this one that you have to buy sockets to hold the LED's?? I'm confused because in this sentence you are saying they just plug right in to the factory ones. So can we just buy single wide band LED's from that site and be done with it or do we have to buy the bulbs and then the sockets from autozone?

Last edited by SStolen; 02-25-2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
Other than a few tiny spots here and there, the color is evenly distibuted over the entire cluster. As has been mentioned, anything red is unviewable at night. So the red line for your tach, left half of your voltmeter, and the line for empty fuel is null and void.
I'm getting frustrated because people are getting really different results:

LS1_SS can get red and blue on the dash but the blue is faded at the top of the mph cluster and totally missing from 0 to 1000rpm.

Rufretic got it right on getting the whole dash lit up with 0 to 1000rpm AND 0 to 120 mph nice and bright. But, he can't get the red to show up on the higher rpm band.

I'm guessing rufretic used all blue LED's and LS1_SS used all blue LED's and one red LED for the upper rpm cluster. That would make since why the blue is a little faded before the red rpm cluster. I would also assume that whatever LED's Rufretic is using are better or brighter since his mph cluster is perfectly bright up top and LS1_SS loses brightness.
Attached Thumbnails Blue Gauges Anyone?-final-interior-lighting-010.jpg   Blue Gauges Anyone?-red-blue-leds.jpg  

Last edited by SStolen; 02-25-2005 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1_SS
I installed the red LED's last night but there not bright enough so I have to order new LED's, I have though made a blue/red LED kit what will let the red and blue light up. The pic below shows the light but you can see all the red, it just wont show in the pictures.
If you look at the back of the instrument cluster that Gregg posted, you can see that there are 8 total LED's. The fuel and battery cluster and the water and oil temp cluster share only one LED. So how can you get the red to show on those clusters? It would seem that you would have to choose between the red or the blue and the blue is going to win. I can see how you can get the red upper rpm cluster to shown up because there is a bulb for that area alone.

Can someone clarify this for us?
Old 02-25-2005, 07:30 AM
10 Second Club

Each of my LED bulb replacements have 6 LEDs. That is why mine is so bright and doesn't have faded parts. My needles light up bright red all the way to the tips. My stock needles were orange and did not light up good. I switched to needles from a V6 camaro and they look much better, like I said bright red. I think when I get my car out of storage I am going to add a couple red LEDs to make the red parts of the gauge light up. I'm gonna have to mess around with it because I'm not sure if my plan will work. I plan to box off the red sections and mount an additional red LED for each section. Then I'm going to try to add extensions to the LEDs and pin the wires of the new LEDs in the sockets with my blue ones that plug right in. I think this should work and turn out to look real good, its going to take a little experimenting though.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:21 AM

Hey guys sorry I've been gone...

The picture I last posted with the Red lite up along with the blue is because I used to LEDs per socket for the top of the cluster and for the bottom 2. I used a bigger resistor for the Red LED so that it wouldn't be as bright as the blue and the blue would be the dominant color. So theres enough red to light up the redline and the the bottom gauges but not enough to make the blue fade besides in the one spot at the top (which I'm still working to fix!) I'm a full time student and have a 30+ hour per week job so I'm pretty busy, if you guys have any questions please PM me, it's a lot easier for me to keep track of...

-Nathan

Quick Reply: Blue Gauges Anyone?