LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got my MadZ28 mail order tune today

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Got my MadZ28 mail order tune today

Well, I got home from work a little while ago and found a nice surprise waiting on the counter. It was from Mr. Ion Soltan of MadZ28. So, I quickly grabbed some tools and ran out to the garage to swap out the computers. The car feels a whole lot different now. Definately a lot better pull. I'm going to have to try it out and see what happens against my cousin's '98 SS auto with 3.73's, no muffler, SLP lid, shift kit, and tune. Before I got my tune, we were about neck and neck until I hit 5th(~120), then I started pulling. He didn't have his lid then either.

I've also got a minor problem with the tune. Before it, I was on the f-body.org gear calculator and figured up that the car had 3.73's in it. There was no doubt. But, now that I've got the tune for 3.73's, it's off. Before it'd be at 1500rpm at 60mph in 6th, which would be right for 3.73's. Now, it's saying that I'm running 55 at 1600rpm in 6th. My speedo also says, when I'm on it, just under 60 when I'm shifting into 3rd at the redline. It should be around 65.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tspence45
Well, I got home from work a little while ago and found a nice surprise waiting on the counter. It was from Mr. Ion Soltan of MadZ28. So, I quickly grabbed some tools and ran out to the garage to swap out the computers. The car feels a whole lot different now. Definately a lot better pull. I'm going to have to try it out and see what happens against my cousin's '98 SS auto with 3.73's, no muffler, SLP lid, shift kit, and tune. Before I got my tune, we were about neck and neck until I hit 5th(~120), then I started pulling. He didn't have his lid then either.

I've also got a minor problem with the tune. Before it, I was on the f-body.org gear calculator and figured up that the car had 3.73's in it. There was no doubt. But, now that I've got the tune for 3.73's, it's off. Before it'd be at 1500rpm at 60mph in 6th, which would be right for 3.73's. Now, it's saying that I'm running 55 at 1600rpm in 6th. My speedo also says, when I'm on it, just under 60 when I'm shifting into 3rd at the redline. It should be around 65.

Mine is the same way to. It's about 10-13 mph higher on the speedo then I'm really driving. I was under the impression from my tuner that it would have corrected it. I really haven't taken the time to figure out the solution.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. I loved how the tune made my car feel! I felt the most difference in topend pull. Nice and smooth, low idle, no SES lights!

You probably have stock gears.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

^^^Probably, but I'll fix that next week. I'm going to order some Motive Performance 4.10's from the WS6Store right now. That way I'll know for sure what gears I have.

And I tested the car out with the tune lastnight. Not on my cousin's SS though. It was an '02 Roush Stage 1 with BBK longtubes, ORX, Roush CAI, Trickflow intake manifold, and 3.73's. The kid said his Formula he has was faster, and I already slaughtered it once. But, he was still talking crap when I didn't feel like racing Friday night, saying I just didn't want to see a Chevy get waxed by a Ford. So, I decided to do it lastnight. He won't race me from a dig because of my DR's and suspension stuff, even though he's got 325's on the back. So, we went from a 15 roll. He hung through 1st. lol. It got real ugly after that though. I took it through 4th just for the heck of it and had a good 2 or 3 buslengths on him. He claimed he was sideways through 3rd. The people who were right behind us watching said he got a little squirly in 1st and that was it. Besides, he's making a lot less power than me, and less power than my old exhaust setup without the tune, and I still wasn't sideways through 3rd on baldass 245's. I wanted to go race my cousin after that, but he had already headed home to get some stuff ready for the party he had lastnight.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

I have a madz28 tune and love it. Ive had him do 4 or 5 tunes for me as I have been doing mods. Sounds like you have stock gears.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

good to hear.
how much did you pay for the tune,if you don't mind me asking.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

It was $265, but that's because I did the PCM exchange and had to pay a deposit. Once I send my old one back in, I'll get a $110 or $115 refund.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by donkey mule
I have a madz28 tune and love it. Ive had him do 4 or 5 tunes for me as I have been doing mods. Sounds like you have stock gears.
Yeah. I love the tune, don't get me wrong. The problem is, I've never really known for sure, what gears are in the car. I thought it had the stock 3.42's for a while. But, something just didn't seem right when I was messing around with the f-body.org/gear site. So, I went out and did a few test. Everything was dead on for 3.73's. Oh well. I'm just going to get 4.10's so I know for sure what gears are in it. Plus, it'll be faster then. lol
Old 10-12-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

My PCM is boxed up & ready to go out tomorrow to Ion, i don't know exactly what he will do with the timing seeing i'll be running 100 shot, he says he will take out 2* for 100 wet shot, but i'm under the asumption he adds timing to his "Perf. tune", so maybe he will leave the timing stock, i'll see when i get it back, how well it runs.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Hmm I was looking into this and a dyno tune and I just was not sure what would be better... obviously the dyno would be dead on but more expensive... I like the price you paid.

I wonder though if he could handle my changes... time to look on the side list and ask him.

Also how do they tune without the car on a dyno is it best guess or using other vehicles dyno's??
Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

I think he's just got a lot of experience with them and knows what to do, since they'd all be about the same. When I asked a question a few months back about his tunes, guys were saying his were dead-on, even with more than just bolt-ons.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

He also does dyno tunes from what it looks like on his site, that being said, from his exsperience of what he sees on the dyno from a fair amount of F-bodies with verious things done to them, & what they respond too the BEST, he puts this in your PCM, just like he would if your car was on his dyno, but it saves you alot of money, i'm shure he or other tuners can tweek abit more being on the dyno, but the mail order tunes should be pretty damn close i would think, unless you have other issues that need addressing, thats why they state, make sure everything is in good working order before getting a tune, my **** runs pretty good now on a stock PCM & MAF, but i've changed gears, SES light is on, speedo is off & hitting the top speed govenor & shutting the car down, so we'll see how it does with his Perf. tuneing, i'm sure i'll notice some difference, but my main concern is getting the other stuff fixed.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had Ion dyno-tune my car when it had a cam only LT1. best money ever spent. dont remember exactly what it cost me but for the gain of power and drivability it was well worth every penny. it was cam-only with full suspension and went 11.70's on motor and 10.70's on a 150 shot. it was also my daily driver. since then i have had him tune 3 other cars for me with ZERO COMPLAINTS. click on the "about us" link on his web site. that is my car there.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

The same day you recieved your computer I was at Speed having Ion tweak mine. Good guy with lots of experience. Had him do my H/C start up tune about 4 years ago, so I could take it up to Speed to have them check out the car on the dyno. They found that the fuel pump was failing in the upper rpm's. So as mentioned, make sure all your ducks are in a row before you send for the mail-order tune.

Quick Reply: Got my MadZ28 mail order tune today