LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Common Front Oil Leaks, 160 vs 180 Thermos & Tuning & Oil Leveling Sensors Leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common Front Oil Leaks, 160 vs 180 Thermos & Tuning & Oil Leveling Sensors Leaking...

I noticed two things though that have me concerned and watching.

1) There is oil around the bottom of the motor in front by the CPS and Crank Seal... I can not tell where it almost seems like it might be the crank seal and its able to sling very small amounts up to the bottom of the opti and around very faintly. It pools at the CPS and on the front sway bar.
I am not sure what to make of it yet or what I should be expecting I mean there is the front crank seal, the timing cover seal, the CPS seal... I am going to look into whats more common and go from there.

2) I ordered my new 160 Thermo and for now put back in the new 180 I had. The car got really hot today and I am not sure if its because of the 180 thermo or what but it got almost to the red just driving it about 4 miles home in traffic.... kinda bothered me. I remember hearing the fans on but I want to see if anyone else has had this issue with going back to the 180 with the changes made for the 160.

3) (I forgot one) My Low Oil Level Sensor is still leaking out the back of the sensor itself... damit. So I need to purchase one off someone since no one seems to have one I can buy....
Old 10-29-2008, 02:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. CPS sensors are common for having a slight leak, if its more than a slight leak change the O-ring and tighten to service manual spec.

2. You have an air pocket in the radiator system, LT1's are notorious for this problem when you do anything to the cooling system. You will need to continue burping the system, that is what the little release valve is for up by the waterneck coming out of the waterpump housing. It's a bleeder valve.

3. Oil level sensor units can sometimes leak a little from heat and longterm use. I would just buy a new one from GM parts. I think mine cost $25 when I replaced my old one a long time ago.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

I have the same oil leak I still have pin point it.
I just finished my build 800miles ago but its only a drop here and there and it goes on my front sway bar.
but what is the cps?
its on the opti does that have the cps?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

I believe it was either 95 or 96 and up had a crank position sensor (CPS) right at the bottom of the timing cover.

I think I am just going to do all the front gaskets this weekend... yay for removing the opti again.

Last edited by Cross; 10-29-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

^^^Actually it's called CKP sensor for the crankshaft. Our cars don't have them but a lot of other cars have a CPS which is Cam Position Sensor.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Ah well Speartech and every other shop seems to agree CPS is not just Cam but also Crank depending on knowing your car.

Since i ref it above as Crank I think most everyone else got it but I will try to add that from now on. Thanks for the info cramming it in with the rest.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

^^Yeah that's true, some car don't have cam sensor so I can see it being called CPS I guess. I'm going mostly on data from Alldata when diagnosing a no start at work. Could be Alldata just refers to it as CKP or our scanner does. Its been awhile since we've had a no start towed in.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

send back that 160 degree thermostat and put in the stock one. thermostats job isnt to cool a motor its to force it to get warm. cars actually run better and make more power hotter (to a point) 160 is a gimmic waste of money..basic logic shows a 160 thermostat starts opening at 160 and will be fully open by 180 but if u dont have a more efficient system it just stays open and will get up to normal temp that the cooling system was designed for. think about it if u put no thermostat in does it run any cooler? (if the system is working properly) NO........overly cold engines do damage just like overly heated engines.....
Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Well the car again got to the line thats a little before the red area again today just daily driving and then the Overflow boiled out when I got home... I am going to flush the coolant system this weekend, change it out anyway and work on bleeding the system correctly.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

I have the oil leak mentioned above. This is where the oil leaks out of the back of the oil level sensor. It is only a few drops every few days. I was wondering if I can clean up the area and seal the back of the sensor with RTV black or red sealant. I don't want to put on another GM part that will also leak. Or is there another solution? Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

I tried right stuff with it drained it still leaks.

I just bought a new sensor at autozone... I will see if I can get the old one out today seems like it might be a little long for pulling it out.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

What stuff did you try? How much was the part at autozone? Thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 89IROC
send back that 160 degree thermostat and put in the stock one. thermostats job isnt to cool a motor its to force it to get warm. cars actually run better and make more power hotter (to a point) 160 is a gimmic waste of money..basic logic shows a 160 thermostat starts opening at 160 and will be fully open by 180 but if u dont have a more efficient system it just stays open and will get up to normal temp that the cooling system was designed for. think about it if u put no thermostat in does it run any cooler? (if the system is working properly) NO........overly cold engines do damage just like overly heated engines.....

LOL he has the stock one in there. He has overheating issues because the system isn't properly bled.

Matt
Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Well now i have the 160 and the car has gone through a complete coolant flush and so far its great.

On the leak I just replaced the sensor and so far so good. I am still going back and forth on what oil to use now 5w30 or 10w30.