LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

DiY port and polish tips and tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DiY port and polish tips and tools

I think it'd be cool to learn how to port and polish. So first of what are all the types of tools i'd need. 2nd i wouldn't obviously wanna start trying it on good intake's since i'm new at it what is a good material or thing to practise on till you get good at it. I have a spare lt1 intake i was going to get ported awhile back but since i got no cash, i'd have much more fun doing it myself.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, you need to start by practicing and reading up, bowl blending, short radius and long radius(long side/short side), what makes flow where, also higher flow numbers are also in the valve job, not only the port and polish, knowing how far you can go and understanding how flowing works at given RPMs, it takes a while to learn, years to be good.

Start on a old aluminum intake off a 82 up camaro with a TBI or carburated intake, 87 up chevy truck, they are aluminum also, i use carbide bits and then the porting kits for the finishing touches, even the flapper wheels.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe Mondello is a well known head porter that both runs a porting school in California, as well as sells supplies and I believe, books, to get you started.

Quick Reply: DiY port and polish tips and tools