LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Will the ZZ4 cam work in an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 04:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a graph comparison of the 2.
http://www.goautocenter.com/gen_ii_lt1.htm

There's a 50hp difference but only 10lbs of torque. And the curves are nice on both. Note hat the HOTCAM setup had LT4 heads so the difference is really less, how much exactly?? I don't know.
With a little more compression and some extra lift you can get the ZZ4 to be just right in the medium of fuel efficiency vs. performance, the bridge sort of speak. Add N20 to it's split profile and thats my ideal daily driven sleeper. It's definitely a small cam, agreed. But it makes much better use of the cubes than stock.

I've heard different about the gas mileage though on the "big" guys. Some even with 13mpg's. But hey maybe they needed tuning?? who knows. My gas didn't change much from stock. But the bite difference I did feel. I can't afford dyno time though to see numbers. But I'm gonna see what this will max out at N/A. I like it's profile alot, there's no aftermarket like it. The ones that come close go to 114 LS. Wish I had a dyno to see some numbers, not that they would be impressive but it would be a good experiment in the world of what smaller cams have to offer. After the 1.7rr I might dare to take her down the track all 141k miles of her. That'll be the dyno.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by License2Ill
Well it's almost like stock but much more efficient, it has a much more aggressive ramp. And if you add 1.7 RR you emphasize that even more. But it's probably borderline 400hp with good tuning and the 1.7rr's. I like it cuz I want to run nitrous someday if I ever get around to it. Plus I bought it for 60 bucks. You compare that to $250.00+ on another "bigger" cam which will also DESTROY your gas mileage and you reconsider the little torquey ZZ4 cam. The split profile also lends itself to N20.
I wanted some extra performance without hurting gas mileage too much. Then add the rest through N20.
Wish I could say it would crank out 400hp though for sure. But I think with the 1.7rr and it's new lift numbers it can come close if not match it. Nick you might have a better idea, what do you think??
w/ 1.7rr lift goes to:
All with a 208/221 duration on 112.
I'd say that's a max effort fuel conscious cam packing a comparable "bigcam" torque+HP curve IMO.
I do like the GM 847 cam though. When I picked the zz4 it was that or the ever common LT4 Hotcam or the CC306 but I didn't like what they did to gas, the 847 tho I'm sure hurts gas also, but it's return looks inargueable so far from what ppl have been getting out of it, 440 HP would have convinced me to go big also but I didn't know of the 847 at the time.
By the time you get the machining done, you could have bought an LT1 camshaft. You're going to have to get all new springs anyway. A few bucks more for the proper cam is not the place to save pennies. From various vendors, there are probably 100 different grinds, with all kinds of lifts, durations, LSAs, and ramp rates (from old grinds like the 847 and CC305 to new ones with XE or XER high-rate ramps). I know Combination Motorsports has something like 30, including blower and NOS cams. Surely, you can find one to meet your desires, without jerry-rigging a SBC cam.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The springs were in. The cam went in. For 110$. The specs were better than any aftermarket jive with comparable small cammness. The ramp was better and the split profile was just plain meaner. And the lobe seperation was tighter, it's a small cam with a good punch. Slapped in retarded you lean it more on mid-range.
Rigging is a more temporary thing than this usually done in a less sensitive area. A competent machine shop can do this with no problems. It's basically the same hole Chevy would have put in. I had no doubt that it would work, the cam is steel billet like any other of roller lifter design. It's all a matter of doing your homework.
For what I paid for it and it's duration, it's lift+LS can't be beat not even LPE's small cams had that LS. I was willing to go solid roller but nothing started at that duration. Everything solid roller starts big as is, which to me would just make me go hydraulic. But anyhoot I think it's one of the best small cams there is, ppl who have different intentions for their build-ups can pick this up way cheap.
This cam is a multi-purpose monster it covers N20, S/Cing and it fits the budget, if it's not popular or doesnt have an aftermarket brand what do I care??, compare it's specs to others, Comp cams have to hit 230 duration to give you .510 lift . ALL on 114 LS.
This does it on 221. with 112. And their "extreme" ?? split profiles?? don't start untill 212 duration and .487 lift. This gives .474 lift with 208 duration. If you ask me GMPP delivers the greatest cam hits. Hit after hit after hit. Some might say well more duration has it's place well I say ok so why not offer higher lifts to go with it??? Some might say well there is a balance point where duration meets lift. Ok well then what's the point of solid rollers?? they offer the most lift for duration, they say to ***** with balance and deliver the most aggressive ramps. Well those are my lines of reasoning when judging other cams even small cams. And when it is a small cam with even more reason. I want the most lift for my duration in cams and this is a small cam that offers just that.
GMPP offers in general better cams big or small. The Gm 847 is also another one a "big" cam yielding more lift for it's duration than many others sharing similar specs. To me any cam big or small that delivers those attributes is worthwhile. No offense and none taken just talking tech.

Quick Reply: Will the ZZ4 cam work in an LT1?