LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor tear down pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
I think it's funny how many people dog the hot cam kit when really the cam is not much smaller then the "almighty" cc305. I think most people dog it cause the valve springs, but GM would NOT produce a kit that wouldnt work together, YES I KNOW IF I EVER GO BIGGER I WILL NEED NEW VALVE SPRINGS!! I KNOW THIS!! So please anyone coming in my thread complainin about the hot cam.............
LOL... Frankly I love Hot cam drivers... They're fairly easy to run down.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya u feel cool huh? lol grow up and get outa my thread man.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

In theory, there are better cams out there then the hotcam. However, since this is a stock bottom end. It does not really matter I guess. Plus you have future plans.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya this is just a temp cam while i still have to stock bottom end. My future plans are first put a 9inch in it, get a built tranny, put a cage in it, completely finish the suspension, then pull the motor out and prolly do a 383 or 396 built for about a 200 shot off the line and bring in another big shot on a progressive controller but that will be atleast a year or two if not more before thats done. Kinda tough for me being 18 and in college to work alot so things come a little slower for me cause my income isn't the highest and i still have to pay off the car and my 01 dodge ram. It'll come eventually though. This set up will keep me happy for a year or two though.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Ya this is just a temp cam while i still have to stock bottom end. My future plans are first put a 9inch in it, get a built tranny, put a cage in it, completely finish the suspension, then pull the motor out and prolly do a 383 or 396 built for about a 200 shot off the line and bring in another big shot on a progressive controller but that will be atleast a year or two if not more before thats done. Kinda tough for me being 18 and in college to work alot so things come a little slower for me cause my income isn't the highest and i still have to pay off the car and my 01 dodge ram. It'll come eventually though. This set up will keep me happy for a year or two though.
I just turned 19 and I know your feeling with the slow income lmao.. options are pretty limited when youre a full time student. Ive had the hotcam setup for a few years then i did the cc305 (what i have now - i only did it because i got it for free lol) and to be honest there isnt much of a difference
Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badzee
I just turned 19 and I know your feeling with the slow income lmao.. options are pretty limited when youre a full time student. Ive had the hotcam setup for a few years then i did the cc305 (what i have now - i only did it because i got it for free lol) and to be honest there isnt much of a difference
Oh ya its fun isnt it haha. I'm broke all the time even on pay day cause i have planned ahead for every pay day what i'm buyin that day lol. Plus 325 bucks in payments for the car and truck lol. I love every minute of it though, wouldn't trade it for the world
Old 12-12-2008, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Hey skippy, check your attitude... I'm just reportin' the facts.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the motor is finally done gettin torn down, got the crank hub finally after about an hour and half tryin yesterday, then i got the timing chain cover chain and then pulled out the cam so she is all down gettin torn down, now its just buying parts to put it back together. Also gotta paint some stuff and clean a few things still but other than that i just need money to order new parts. Ill get more pics up later tonight
Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well here are some pics of the motor all torn down a a few of the piles of parts i got.

How she sits now-

Table full of parts-

Lots and lots of little labeled bags with bolts haha-

I got alot of stock parts for sale if anyone is interested, i got stock manifolds, y-pipe with cat cut out and pipe welded in, stock cam, stock rockers and pushrods, all the AIR and EGR stuff i think. PM me if you need anything and we'll work out some prices.

Also check out the ET streets in my sig, i gotta sell those to buy a new slicks for my pro-stars
Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

I think it's funny how many people dog the hot cam kit when really the cam is not much smaller then the "almighty" cc305. I think most people dog it cause the valve springs, but GM would NOT produce a kit that wouldnt work together, YES I KNOW IF I EVER GO BIGGER I WILL NEED NEW VALVE SPRINGS!! I KNOW THIS!! So please anyone coming in my thread complainin about the hot cam.............

I will try to take me pics as i do more to the car. I'm in the process of ordering stuff for the cam swap but wont be ordering gaskets til around xmas (Gettin big summit giftcard from the girlfriend). So most of the work will take place after then cause i'm also hoping to get the headers for xmas also.
Hey don't let anyone tell you any different, I have the HC setup and am very pleased with it. Sure I would love to have a big nasty cam but the funds were not there for the extras. Maybe on a new rebuild but you will be very pleased. Also for a little cam it has a nice lopy idle not a GM847 but you can tell it's there.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the kind words man, i'm hoping to order the cam right after xmas so i can get it in and get the shortblock back together with the timing chain and all that. Then gettin the heads checked and buying headers. I wish i had money to get one 918's and 1.7 rockers but just can't afford that right now, so gotta settle with the lt4 springs i got and 1.6 comp cams mags. Still got alot to buy but its slowly coming together.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if you're on a low budget build, then 918's definately aren't for you. My bill from summit for the springs, locks, retainers, guideplates, and hardened pushrods was somewhere in the area of $370. I wish the weather around here wasn't so crappy, or I'd come up with the Z28 sometime and check out the progress in person and lend a helping hand, if needed.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tspence45
Yeah, if you're on a low budget build, then 918's definately aren't for you. My bill from summit for the springs, locks, retainers, guideplates, and hardened pushrods was somewhere in the area of $370. I wish the weather around here wasn't so crappy, or I'd come up with the Z28 sometime and check out the progress in person and lend a helping hand, if needed.
Ya def a little too much for me right now lol. Ya the weather is preety crappy lol, we got around 4 or so inches today, good thing i got my 4x4 Ram haha.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Ya def a little too much for me right now lol. Ya the weather is preety crappy lol, we got around 4 or so inches today, good thing i got my 4x4 Ram haha.
Haha. I drove the Z to work this morning. Got off at noon, and it's been sitting in the driveway since. I need to get my winter car in good running order before I can put the Z away for good. I just need to figure out what the deal is with the battery always being dead on the winter car, despite having a brand new alternator and battery put in last week. And I need to get some new tires for it. Damn money pit.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya i bought a winter beater that cost me more than my z, lol but its not exactly my beater, more like like daily driver and pulls the z around on the trailer. I love my Ram though.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

I didn't really buy the winter beater. It was my dad's idea, so he got it. He'll drive it some after winter, so he doesn't rack up the miles on our good vehicles. Plus, he hates having out Chrysler Aspen sit in the parking lot at the train yard for a couple days at a time when he's at work. But, he said I could drive it during the winter, so I wouldn't have so much trouble in the Z. It's really hard to pass up a '78 Buick LeSabre w/ 83k on the clock and a 350, with minimal rust, and a pretty much flawless interior for $450 though. lol. The thing's a freakin tank.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds sweet man haha, Hope we get a chance to meet at cordova and run em a few times.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

I'll probably get slaughtered if I don't end up getting all my stuff done this winter though. I definately need to get my 1.7RR's in, LS1 lid swap done, get some 4.10's, and retuned, then I might be able to hold my own against you. Hopefully I can stay within a few tenths of you. But I doubt it. I may as well just tear my motor down and put a cam in it this winter too. Lloyd Elliot's 228/235 cam has been looking awfully tempting to me for the last week or two.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:56 AM
TECH Regular

WOW, well I know how that goes, sucks but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. Goodluck!
Old 12-17-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bones Z28
WOW, well I know how that goes, sucks but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. Goodluck!
haha, ya it's been a fun and learning experience, never taken a motor apart before so i've been learnin as i've been doing everything. THanks for the compliments man!

Quick Reply: Motor tear down pictures