LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

thoughts on fidanza aluminum flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW- I had a 355 CI car with a 233/239 cam w/stock heads and intake. The car weighed 3700 lbs with driver. The crank was 10 LBS less than factory, the rods were light weight rods, I had the fidanza flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, 3:73's, and a spec 4 to boot. I ran 7.93 on engine and 7.0 on gas. I drove the car everywhere!!! If you roll race any it really shined, but also preformed on the track.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fergymoto
I see. Was the rotating assembly balanced with the new pistons and rods? If so then I would check the flywheel to see if the weight it there. I've never looked at a McLeod but my Spec flywheel has a removable weight that is held on by 3 bolts. I would expect similar on the McLeod
The McLeod does have a removeable weight on the flywheel like the SPEC.

If anyone is interested in a McLeod let me know I have one for sale (w/o the weight). Cheap!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Check your torque multiplication ratio first. Trans first gear x your rearend gear. If it is above 11 you will still have a drivable car anything below and you don't have the gear to make up a decent launch. I am putting a Mcleod twin in my chevelle and spent a lot of time researching it. I ended up with an aluminum Mcleod Flywheel/twin disc setup good to 1200hp (took 5weeks to get). I am running a blown 406/ T56 6sp/ 4.88's w/locker. This puts my torque multiplication up in the high 12 range my old combo was in the 8s and would have sucked . Haven't got to drive it with the new setup, but Mcleod had said the 1-2 shift will come up quick, accelerate like mad from corners, and it will be Hairy. Pick your poison, but remember the motor won't only accelerate quicker it will deaccelerate just as quick.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by my94blackz
FWIW- I had a 355 CI car with a 233/239 cam w/stock heads and intake. The car weighed 3700 lbs with driver. The crank was 10 LBS less than factory, the rods were light weight rods, I had the fidanza flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, 3:73's, and a spec 4 to boot. I ran 7.93 on engine and 7.0 on gas. I drove the car everywhere!!! If you roll race any it really shined, but also preformed on the track.
Thanks man I believe I am going to go ahead with the Fidanza flywheel because I don't really drag it that often and eventually I'd love to road race the car. I'm going to be ripping out the trans here soon and I think I've decided to do Fidanza flywheel along with a Ram clutch for now, as well as fixing my T56, keeps poping out of reverse.

Originally Posted by crookedbowtie
Check your torque multiplication ratio first. Trans first gear x your rearend gear. If it is above 11 you will still have a drivable car anything below and you don't have the gear to make up a decent launch. I am putting a Mcleod twin in my chevelle and spent a lot of time researching it. I ended up with an aluminum Mcleod Flywheel/twin disc setup good to 1200hp (took 5weeks to get). I am running a blown 406/ T56 6sp/ 4.88's w/locker. This puts my torque multiplication up in the high 12 range my old combo was in the 8s and would have sucked . Haven't got to drive it with the new setup, but Mcleod had said the 1-2 shift will come up quick, accelerate like mad from corners, and it will be Hairy. Pick your poison, but remember the motor won't only accelerate quicker it will deaccelerate just as quick.
Never heard of this but let's see... T56 1st gear is 2.66 and I have 3.42s, so 2.66 x 3.42 = 9.0972. Not the greatest I guess, but then again like I said I'm not really looking for off the line (drag) performance.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Launching!

Just remember it will be real easy to stall of the line and you will have to be more aggressive with your shifts, like shift at a higher rpm because the r's will try to drop (deaccelerate) more between gears or shift faster. I say go for it and let me know what you think. If you don't like it just change your rear gears and you will!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Launching!

The added bonus is aluminum dissipates heat faster and if you ever need to resurface your fly wheel you just have to buy an inexpensive insert, not wait for a machine shop.

Quick Reply: thoughts on fidanza aluminum flywheel