LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thoughts on standard COMP Magnum (not Pro) 1.6 rockers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thoughts on standard COMP Magnum (not Pro) 1.6 rockers

I'm starting to assemble cam parts to go along with my CC503, it's not a race car; it's my DD so I won't spin the hell out of the motor. I'll be using SA 1.6 rockers. How do yall like the standard Magnum rockers? I know people recommend the Pro Magnum, but why so much over the standard magnums?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I ran the Magnums with the cc503 and worked out great. You really don't need to go with an NSA Rocker with that setup. NSA is good for high rpm rev's and I will always recommend someone go that route when they spin the motor near or past 6500 but I spun mine around 6900ish a couple times (incorrect shift mph's in tune) and all was well with the SA Magnums. Like I said for your setup the Magnums will be just fine and I know from experience, I grabbed them for $170 new off ebay take a look. Only downside I would say is that they are not full rollers such as the Pro Mags.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
...I know people recommend the Pro Magnum, but why so much over the standard magnums?
Because roller tipped rockers don't provide near as much value for the dollar as the full roller Pro Mags. The biggest benefit is in the roller fulcrum, not the tip.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shbox
Because roller tipped rockers don't provide near as much value for the dollar as the full roller Pro Mags. The biggest benefit is in the roller fulcrum, not the tip.
Yep...get some NSA Pro magnums and leave your worries elsewhere.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shbox
+1 for full Roller. If it's a daily driver and not planning on seeing as much abuse, you could go with SA rockers, but make sure you go with full roller, not just roller tip. The roller tip IMHO is just a gimmick to sell non rollers at near full roller rocker price. not worth the money to me, you'll get more from the rocker with the roller fulcrum.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have been running SA Magnums on my set up for 2 year now with heavy driving, high rpm and track time and they have done me well. IIRC TPIS did a test on all the rockers and the Magnum was the one that they could not break.