Need some honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some honest opinions

My mods are listed in my Sig

What should I do this Spring?

I will have enough money for Spring for either an STS Turbo or a 12bolt(3.73's, Yank SS 3600, etc.)

Should I not even look at the STS?

If I do the Turbo setup first, the rearend won't come too far after (probably mid-summer time)

I've always wanted heads/cam, but eventually I am going to go to SpeedInc to have the motor rebuilt in a couple years and fully built with AFR heads and cam combination

Let me know your opinions
I have no clue what I want to do yet
I love my car and its my baby and I just want to make her a bit faster

I am a little more of a safety guy, so should I go with the rearend, stall, gears stuff first (although it wouldn't be fast enough for my opinion)

Let me know guys! constructive criticism is NEVER a bad thing
Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO i would get everything setup to be able to hold 21019082749120 Horses then put 500Hp to your wheels and your trans and rear and axles not be able to hold it. heck i had a V6 with a 12bolt and a fully built trans and susp. and interior and everything just because i have planned on building a really really nice 396 LT1 but with all that done to the v6 i could still drive it everyday lol. it just looked really really fast with a 250hp v6 lol. thats my 2 pennies lol sorry for rambling on lol
Old 12-23-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

No need for a sts kit yet.

Do you have a "built" tranny and how many miles are on it?? If its an original high mileage 4l60e dont even think about throwing that nice Yank in there. That would be a huge waste of money IMO. I'd get a good rebuild from a reputable sponsor first, second a Yank SS3600.

Then purchase a nice rear end, 12 bolt or 9in, with 35-spline axles and a good posi.

You have a quick and fun to drive car now without boost.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I am really considering the 12-bolt, 3.73's, and Yank SS 3600, and some DR's.. even though my motor is stock, that will still be quick..

I'm just not sure.. I am a safety guy like that.. but I want a turbo so bad... its like taking a little kid into Toys R Us and expecting to walk out without him asking for a stupid toy
Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Perhaps it depends on how you drive. I have 15k miles and counting on my STS. Stock trans w/Transgo HD2 and 3400 stall, stock rear w/3.42 gears and TA girdle. Currently modding suspension to put the power to the ground efficiently.
AFA the STS, however, be prepared to spend $1500+ on all the supporting mods (injectors, fuel pump & harness, gauges, PCM tune, etc.).
And you next mod should be your suspension; stock cannot put the added power to the ground.
Either way will get you to your goal: supporting mods first, power adder second, or power adder first, supporting mods second.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

I had to pull tranny to fix a leak,,so while tranny was out I had it rebuilt, added yank 3600, then put in 3.73 gears. It Made a big difference, did lca and shocks and set MT DRs. Went from 14.8 to 13.7 1/4.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=texas94z;10717972]No need for a sts kit yet.

Do you have a "built" tranny and how many miles are on it?? If its an original high mileage 4l60e dont even think about throwing that nice Yank in there. That would be a huge waste of money IMO. I'd get a good rebuild from a reputable sponsor first, second a Yank SS3600.

I put a used vig stall into 120,000+ tranny almost 2 yrs ago. If all has been maintained there's no reason to wait. I also have close to 200 qtr runs on the tranny as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

well you can have a 5000hp car and if you drive it easy you wont have to worry about anything. if you wanna have a turbo to say you have one. hell throw it on there. just you wont be able to race from a stop. just be carefull of low speed throttle (if you know what i mean) i know a guy has a 590hp LS1 with stock trans a rear and suspension right now and has been drivign it as a daily for the last six months. its all on how you drive
Old 12-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
My mods are listed in my Sig

What should I do this Spring?

I will have enough money for Spring for either an STS Turbo or a 12bolt(3.73's, Yank SS 3600, etc.)

Should I not even look at the STS?

If I do the Turbo setup first, the rearend won't come too far after (probably mid-summer time)

I've always wanted heads/cam, but eventually I am going to go to SpeedInc to have the motor rebuilt in a couple years and fully built with AFR heads and cam combination

Let me know your opinions
I have no clue what I want to do yet
I love my car and its my baby and I just want to make her a bit faster

I am a little more of a safety guy, so should I go with the rearend, stall, gears stuff first (although it wouldn't be fast enough for my opinion)

Let me know guys! constructive criticism is NEVER a bad thing
Well before you go throwing a ton of HP on it you need to dial in the suspension. That's the first thing that needs to be done IMO. Then if you don't have emissions I would toss then shorty headers aside and put on a nice set of LT's and some 3.73's. Just my thoughts....
Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

To build a car right you need to start from the back and work your way to the front!!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I put the turbo on there, I would be easier on it (believe it or not).

Only pulls, no digs. If I ran it at the track, it'd be on crappy Summotomo tires until I get the rear-end done and I'd only do a one-and-done.

I'm leaning more towards the rear-end stuff first being most cautious about the car's safety

My auto should be fine with the YANK SS 3600. I will have a huge tranny cooler on it, a shift kit, and I change the tranny fluid on it every 9,000 miles.. (even though not necessary, I still do it.) Call me an **** owner, but whatever

The owner who had it before me took care of it. Took it to the track a few times, but did the necessary care work needed. He wouldn't sell it to me unless I promised it would be garaged and never driven during the winter. Clean engine bay, when I changed the tranny fluid it was just a bit dirty, no metal shavings whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Need some honest opinions