LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 runs on ls1 computer using modded OPTI

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schwoch1
I would have to say that this is a dead duck.......... Have asked the same question in the past and never got a reply, good bad or indifferent!!!

Mike
In january my employment situation took a turn for the worse and now I make half the money I used to, working more hours.

The car runs but the base tune is way off for a twin turbo car, also because my turbo or my stock engine seeps some oil my wideband is somewhat is messed, I don’t know if I can count on the readings. i also bought 2 new narrow band o2's last fall but when i put them in the car one was dead and it was to late to return them. so i am left with only one good 02 sensor. and no money..

I had a local guy that seemed willing to help tune it in return for a wheel and electronics, but he seems to have lost intrest due to all the issues. So yeah this kind of died untill I can come up with some extra cash to pay for some parts and tuning, or untill i can get help tuning it.

i had no problem tuning the lt1 controller when the car had a new wideband, o2's sensors and i had a turbo tune to start with, now i have really no starting point and no way to verify with all my o2 sensors shot.

hopefully with the economy starting to pick up i can get a decent job and resurrect this project.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about making the parts for other people to buy?

That would give you some extra money on the side.

If you can get me functional hardware I can figure out the tuning.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Well I hope something works out for you, as I have seen some good ideas, never come to fruition, due to cash flow problems, and thats just a shame.
Good luck in your job search, and I hope we can seen another version of the LS1 computer on a LTx platform, AKA a better priced version.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without

Last edited by 1993 z28 f1; 11-04-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can get me a workable version I can help you develop it, I already have coils and a good running car. A cheaper version would be nice. PM me if interested.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
If you can get me a workable version I can help you develop it, I already have coils and a good running car. A cheaper version would be nice. PM me if interested.
Same here. If I can do anything to help move this forward I would. I'm sick of opti troubles but just not ready to spring for the full EFI kit $$ wise.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only question I have is I noticed that the engine is running without the water pump. what's the clearance like with the water pump installed? Still cool **** though, I have the EFI Connection 24x kit going in with my new engine.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKAFRED
In january my employment situation took a turn for the worse and now I make half the money I used to, working more hours.

The car runs but the base tune is way off for a twin turbo car, also because my turbo or my stock engine seeps some oil my wideband is somewhat is messed, I don’t know if I can count on the readings. i also bought 2 new narrow band o2's last fall but when i put them in the car one was dead and it was to late to return them. so i am left with only one good 02 sensor. and no money..

I had a local guy that seemed willing to help tune it in return for a wheel and electronics, but he seems to have lost intrest due to all the issues. So yeah this kind of died untill I can come up with some extra cash to pay for some parts and tuning, or untill i can get help tuning it.

i had no problem tuning the lt1 controller when the car had a new wideband, o2's sensors and i had a turbo tune to start with, now i have really no starting point and no way to verify with all my o2 sensors shot.

hopefully with the economy starting to pick up i can get a decent job and resurrect this project.
Were you able to drive the car or anything of that nature!???

Mike
Old 11-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Definately let us know if you need anything, would like to see this take off and be able to finally use efilive and coil on plug.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 913MOTOR
Definately let us know if you need anything, would like to see this take off and be able to finally use efilive and coil on plug.
You can use both, EFI Connection has the whole system ready and waiting, just whip out the credit card!!!!

Mike
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Teching In

really hope you get this worked out! i am definitly interested.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 PM
Launching!

drove the car to my parents house yesterday to store it for the winter. it drove fine with no issues and no ses light (yes the light works) its about 15km drive. the wideband read about 16 the whole way

i am thinking about selling the wheel and the instructions but fear that it may be to complicated for most, there will be some that could probably improve electronics thou.

also i would have to sell the wheel and the info for about 125$ -150$ to make it worth while.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

drove the car to my parents house yesterday to store it for the winter. it drove fine with no issues and no ses light (yes the light works) its about 15km drive. the wideband read about 16 the whole way

i am thinking about selling the wheel and the instructions but fear that it may be to complicated for most, there will be some that could probably improve electronics thou.

also i would have to sell the wheel and the info for about 125$ -150$ to make it worth while.
Thats it?!?!?

If that is all the wheel and info would cost to sell and be profitable, you REALLY need to put together a kit. I think you are underestimating the market for a cheaper and more simple "aftermarket" computer setup.

What all would be needed to be a complete kit, besides the coils/pcm? Connectors, wheel, cover, and some instructions? If you had to guess, around how much would that cost? I can tell ya right now I would buy one if the price is right. I am looking at around a grand minimum for the EFI conversion, but if yours ends up considerably less I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

I can get the coils and computer from a junkyard and rig up my own mounting brackets.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Teching In

you take paypal?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Launching!

that price would only be the wheel, retainer plate and schematics for the 2 mini bread boards and pcm pin outs for 94-97 camaros.

the converter board is breadboard with 5$ worth of electronics, inside the opti is 20c worth of electronics

ideally i would get the 2 boards pre-made but for a small run it would be cost prohibitive i think. and bread board is a cheap alternative due the the simple circuit

i would have to add 50$ to sell it as a kit and as of right now i am not equipped to do so.

yes i would take paypal.

i have enough stainless wheels for 8 kits sitting in my basement.

if anyone knows where to get inexpensive printed circuit board in low quantity's let me know.

Last edited by AKAFRED; 11-15-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

well good luck on getting a better job and fixing the car just keep trying cause i think you have a good idea here
Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that price would only be the wheel, retainer plate and schematics for the 2 mini bread boards and pcm pin outs for 94-97 camaros.

the converter board is breadboard with 5$ worth of electronics, inside the opti is 20c worth of electronics

ideally i would get the 2 boards pre-made but for a small run it would be cost prohibitive i think. and bread board is a cheap alternative due the the simple circuit

i would have to add 50$ to sell it as a kit and as of right now i am not equipped to do so.

yes i would take paypal.

i have enough stainless wheels for 8 kits sitting in my basement.

if anyone knows where to get inexpensive printed circuit board in low quantity's let me know.
Apologies for all the questions, I am in the market for an ignition system on my new build and to be honest I am currently looking at the EFI kit but would go for this in a heartbeat if it keeps making progress.

No cover would be included for the $150 kit? Do you just mod a stock cover to be airtight, or are their plans to CNC a nice pretty cover for it?

What kind of quantities are you thinking? Their are companies that will make boards out of your own custom CAD/multi-sim/PCB design software for like 15 bucks each in low quantaties. If the components are only around 5 bucks per board, you can make a starting run of maybe 10 kits, sell the kits for twice what you are asking, and make a killing on profit. Then the customer would just need to re-pin their harness, get some cut-to fit spark plug wires, and scrounge a computer and some coils from a junkyard.

I still think you are underestimating what you could sell these for. You are talking about a $200 kit being cost prohibitive, when the nearest competitor is over a grand when all is said and done...I could easily see this selling for quite a bit more then what you are asking.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Launching!

you don't really need a cover, you can just put the cap back on the opti with no rotor in it, and hook the vents back up.

on the 2 that i have made they both had the first cover with the hole sealed with a aluminum plate and rtv silicone.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Just seen this thread my self.. I would be very interested in a kit like so many other people. Like Puck said, I also think you're underestimating how many people would actually be interested in this conversion.. Hell, it's one of the biggest reasons I'm in the processes of building a 408 LSx motor.. The tuning on my LT1 has been a pain in the butt compared to tuning the LSx stuff.

Quick Reply: lt1 runs on ls1 computer using modded OPTI