LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 runs on ls1 computer using modded OPTI

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AKAFRED
got the car running on the ls1 computer today... i repinned the lt1 harness into the connectors and addded the in the coil wires and made a custom wheel for the opti.

i was worried at first as it would barely stay running then i pulgged in the other coil harness and it runs like a champ now..

dont mind the smoke there was some antifreeze on the downpipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btAtQtIe3LY
smoke ..?? ..not watching the smoke .. repinned the lt1 harness ..hope you'll pm/setup a .doc/file on which ones you used or added ...did you have to make a crank wheel as well? thanks and congrats
Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's incredibly impressive O_O

I think I speak for everyone when I say, can we get more info? Where's the crank signal coming from, cam signal, how much you'd charge for a wheel + instructions for someone to make their own harness, what you'd charge to do a base tune (either mailing in the PCM or email over the file). And anything else I forgot

I don't have the money for EFI Connection's setup, or even this one sadly, but I always love to have options available
Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing for EPIC breakthrough Im also in for purchasing this setup for
2 LTX cars
Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
That's incredibly impressive O_O

I think I speak for everyone when I say, can we get more info? Where's the crank signal coming from, cam signal, how much you'd charge for a wheel + instructions for someone to make their own harness, what you'd charge to do a base tune (either mailing in the PCM or email over the file). And anything else I forgot

I don't have the money for EFI Connection's setup, or even this one sadly, but I always love to have options available
all the signals are output by the opti.. the opti puts out the crank signal and cam signal...

if i were to do anything it would have to be i get shipped a opti, i send back the users opti with the new wheel modifed to put out the 12v signal. i have considerd this but i would have to buy 20 wheels to start... my wheel was cut on a 3 axis and it was a PITA because the slots are only .030 (that means it was cut using a .030 cutter) and apently it had to be cut really slow to avoid breaking the cutter.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

I have three good working opti's. HMM
Old 12-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed, i would pay $100 to have this done in a heartbeat. Tell them to get a few wheels cut and factor the bit into the pricing over a couple wheels. I knew it could be done like this without using that stupid crank wheel. It was said that "the crank signal is very sensitive and shouldnt be taken from the cam" in the other thread. Bullshit, the OPTI does this from the factory and it works just fine. If i were you i would start writing a how to document and figure pricing on the wheels. Send it to someone down south to do the first tuning while you work on yours and hurry it up! Hell ill go get my car out of storage for you if you get one done to test it. I have HPTuners already.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Launching!

i emailed my high tolerence laser contact about pricing on 20 wheels and 20 hold down plates. on the test sample i made the hold down using a hole saw and drill press. i wouldnt want to have to do that in mass production.. lol
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your the man then! ill check back, post up when you rough out some prices for the first batch.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Let us know! I am interested also!
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Yep, Me too. Coil packs are awesome and this would be way better than Delteq....LS1 PCM, coil packs from a junkyard for cheap. Let me know when they are ready for sale.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:43 PM
Launching!

yeah if the pricing is decent then i may need a guinea pig that could get this running/ tuned asap..
Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dam, man
u may have just figured out the way to bring the lt1 up to the same pcm calibration as the lsx, on a budget.
the ltx bolt on heads and intakes, availability still suck compared to the lsx,
but know the ltx can run with ls coils and tuning capabilties
Old 12-30-2008, 02:09 AM
12 Second Club

wow... it's truelly amazing how odd it is, that a friend and I were talking about what it would take to do this exact thing 2 months ago. and now it's a reality.

more power to you for running the opti like that. looks much more user friendly than some other retro-fits that are in development.

couldnt the stock cap be bolted back on for a cover, and be done with it? I know it's not very pretty, but it would do the job.

any more details as to how you done the wiring for the remaining sensors on the motor? any pics elsewhere?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Nice job bro, you better get a patent on that thing before some scab does it before you.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In for more information! Laser cutting would be the only way to make this viable as a mass production part. Im really interested how the repin looks. If your not planning on producing kits Id really like to see the pin out. Good work!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the_merv
Nice job bro, you better get a patent on that thing before some scab does it before you.
at this point someone else would have a hard time getting a patent on this as its well documented in this thread that it exists. you can steal some ones idea and patent it if you do it before any product exists.

my understanding is that a typical patent costs a grand or 2 a year to hold and there is a bunch of lawer fees up front... probably not worth while on a product that you could sell 25pcs a year.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
In for more information! Laser cutting would be the only way to make this viable as a mass production part. Im really interested how the repin looks. If your not planning on producing kits Id really like to see the pin out. Good work!
i am looking into laser cutting.. the probem is that most lasers are for cutting 20ga and thicker.. this needs to be cut on a special machine.. i allready have found a local source that has the right machine and they gave me a pretty decent quote a couple months ago.. i am getting them to requote as pairs as there is 2 lasered parts required
Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

what year pcm are you using because the 99+ are the faster pcm's that are more boost friendly
Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AKAFRED where are you located? I would be in for this upgrade as well.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be very interested also. I run a tune shop so we shoudl be able to get it down if you need a tester. All I'm waiting for on my new build is UMI / Byunspeed to deliver my K-Member. I ordered it thanksgiving weekend so hopefully it won't be to much longer.

Quick Reply: lt1 runs on ls1 computer using modded OPTI