LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A new knocking sound from my car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new knocking sound from my car...

I just recently noticed the last couple of times I've driven my car a new knocking noise. The noise is hard to detect from the front of the car with the hood up, but is very noticeable if you get your head near the ground behind either of the front tires (where the door hinges are). It is more of a knock than a tick (when I say tick I am thinking the looser rocker arm type of tick).

It is a very clear knocking sound (its not very noticeable unless you are looking for it). It is not making any squealing sounds or rattles in addition to the knock and it sounds roughly like someone gently tapping on a hollow pipe with a hammer.

It is consistent with RPMs up until about 1500 above this and it is either mostly going away, getting quieter, knocking so fast I cant distinguish it any longer, or being drowned out by the exhaust.

I recently had my head gaskets replaced (thanks #2 spark plug ) due to needing the head fixed where I stripped some threads.

Any suggestions on what this is? I am hoping its just an exhaust leak and not something more serious, because the exhaust manifolds / heads were just installed about 200 miles ago.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Pretty sure I figured it out. I just got back from the shop that did my head gaskets and while using a stethoscope and found a very small exhaust leak on my passengers side manifold. Darn guess I have to get headers
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jaywalkersw
Pretty sure I figured it out. I just got back from the shop that did my head gaskets and while using a stethoscope and found a very small exhaust leak on my passengers side manifold. Darn guess I have to get headers
what some people do to justify their expenditures