LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fans never run

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has an issue like this and I ran a jumper wire on the relay's and they kicked on. The weird thing is I replace the relay 3 times and it doesn't work.....Why would a wire cause the fans to kick on but 3 new relays don't do it....Where is the signal coming from to energize the relays??? PCM right? I changed out my sensor on the block and that didn't work so what would my problem be....Hell I ran straight power from the fans and both worked, jumper wire works but 3 new relay's don't allow them to turn on??????
Old 01-07-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
Mine has an issue like this and I ran a jumper wire on the relay's and they kicked on. The weird thing is I replace the relay 3 times and it doesn't work.....Why would a wire cause the fans to kick on but 3 new relays don't do it....Where is the signal coming from to energize the relays??? PCM right? I changed out my sensor on the block and that didn't work so what would my problem be....Hell I ran straight power from the fans and both worked, jumper wire works but 3 new relay's don't allow them to turn on??????
The post directly before yours has the answers you need (thankfully because I wasn't going to correct all the other "info"). The PCM uses the sensor in the water pump, not the one in the drivers cylinder head (the one you said was in the block). Also, like he says, try your AC.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Well ok the head, it was 2 years ago when this happened and haven't messed with it since. My car has yet to get hot enough for me to do the jumper wire crap...As far as the AC thing, the charge was drained and not recharged after the cam swap so I highly doubt that will work right?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Correct.. first the PCM has to see some pressure (refrigerant) in the system from the A/C sensor (at least one 12oz can) to pick the A/C clutch. Then when it sees higher pressure (compressor working) from the A/C sensor it will send the low speed or 'Fan 1' signal (ground) to the relays to run the fan(s). Sorry for the block/head location mess-up in post #20. As stated in previous post, the gauge temp sender is in left block between plugs 1 & 3. .... Bob D.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

my temp sensor on the dash shows that the pin is almost pegged in the red but i usually turn on the a/c before that happens. i get back home on the 17th and ill be able to check it out then.