LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT4 valve spring shim question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=moderate Z28;10838043]http://store.summitracing.com/largei...12480002_w.jpg
I see no shims in the pic
Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Thanks everyone. Sorry for all the ?'s. Its my first time with valve springs but my Dad has done them alot (on older cars). He didnt like them because he said he has never had to use shims before. What exactly are those pices called that fit into the top and bottom of the spring? Seems like they are called many different things. Is there any kind of tool I can run down and buy to measure installed height? I have a few tool stores nearby.
Top - Retainers
Bottom - Seats/Locators

From searches it seems that people are selling kits with and without shims, so I don't know if they are required. The pic you posted doesn't have them, so I think you should be fine. But there are times when they are required, that is why you should always measure your installed height to check if you are at spec.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Well as far as I know, you are supposed to be installing the shims under the factory spring seats.
The LT4 spring has the same installed height as the stock spring, so unless there has been a major change in the valve seat, additional shims should not be needed. Add too many shims and you decrease the maximum lift as well as preloading the spring. Also, the pictured shim is not the right one and will most likely move around and cause the spring to be improperly supported.

I have the Crane 10308 dual spring kit, it also comes with shims and utilizes the stock seats. I installed them w/ the shims.
I wouldn't install any aftermarket spring without checking installed height. (Oh, and now you are mixing seats/shims too! Truthfully it is a locator/seat/shim all in one!!)
Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
The LT4 spring has the same installed height as the stock spring, so unless there has been a major change in the valve seat, additional shims should not be needed. Add too many shims and you decrease the maximum lift as well as preloading the spring. Also, the pictured shim is not the right one and will most likely move around and cause the spring to be improperly supported.

I wouldn't install any aftermarket spring without checking installed height. (Oh, and now you are mixing seats/shims too! Truthfully it is a locator/seat/shim all in one!!)
The Crane 10308 kit I bought was NIB, and I did check the installed height with the shims and it was right on the money, I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 1.8".
Old 01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
The Crane 10308 kit I bought was NIB, and I did check the installed height with the shims and it was right on the money, I don't remember exactly, but I think it was 1.8".
Cool.

Quick Reply: LT4 valve spring shim question