LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

high volume oil pump with stock oil pan???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but I think this topic was about stock oil pan with HV oil pump and people think they will suck it dry, not really about what pump they should run?
The way I see it explaining to them why they do not need to be running a high volume pump is part of the answer to their question. Chances are the person asking doesn't even need to worry about it.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my last engine only lasted 22,000 miles it was my fault for not checking the spin on adaptor bypass valve got stuck open so pretty much I was runing dirty oil through my motor fo the whole 22,000 and my pressure was always low(blamming the stock gauge)
but with my new motor I wanted to get a HV pump and forget about low pressure I got the Melling 10555 very nice pump it probabaly more volume then I need but its in and I don't plan on taking it out I already have 3,000 miles on her and so far its been good..
I check everything now I cut my filter.look good at my mag oil plug, and dirtynest of my oil and everything is ok..

i'm getting around 55# around 2000rpm and idle around 25#
I did switched to 5-30 wt oil and it don't get cold here in so cal, so I should be ok.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by slagger
On my last engine only lasted 22,000 miles it was my fault for not checking the spin on adaptor bypass valve got stuck open so pretty much I was runing dirty oil through my motor fo the whole 22,000 and my pressure was always low(blamming the stock gauge)
but with my new motor I wanted to get a HV pump and forget about low pressure I got the Melling 10555 very nice pump it probabaly more volume then I need but its in and I don't plan on taking it out I already have 3,000 miles on her and so far its been good..
I check everything now I cut my filter.look good at my mag oil plug, and dirtynest of my oil and everything is ok..

i'm getting around 55# around 2000rpm and idle around 25#
I did switched to 5-30 wt oil and it don't get cold here in so cal, so I should be ok.
You don't need an HV pump for increased pressure. The big thing for the HV pump is VOLUME (which most people have no need for).
Old 01-14-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Go to David Vizard's gofastnews.com and read up on the subject.
Why not provide a link if there is something in particular of note you know of? (better than trying to search the website for something)

Quick Reply: high volume oil pump with stock oil pan???